U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2018, 08:06 PM

15,463 posts, read 17,114,861 times

Advertisements

Seattle found good results

https://www.npr.org/sections/health-...-off-for-teens

So did Minneapolis

https://www.kappanonline.org/later-s...ime-for-teens/

So did Cherry Creek in the Denver area

research:

Let Them Sleep? Later School Start Times Improve Graduation and Attendance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2018, 08:12 PM

32,551 posts, read 39,959,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pobre View Post
Also, traffic would be crazier than it already is. Duplicated start times would work if the schools all shared a campus, but most do not. A far better use of already limited resources to use each bus 6 x day (AM and PM x 3 schools) than to run it 2 x day.
A school system with a minimal number of schools, say a combined Jr/Sr high school and a couple elementaries, could likely pull off a mutual schedule although you'd probably have all level of kids riding on the same bus/buses.

A larger system has too many moving parts (number of schools).

Old 12-22-2018, 08:13 PM

905 posts, read 452,342 times
Our district is looking into earlier start times and it has been a logistical nightmare. Personally I don't think the gains are great enough to offset the cost of the transition.

Old 12-22-2018, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by history nerd View Post
Our district is looking into earlier start times and it has been a logistical nightmare. Personally I don't think the gains are great enough to offset the cost of the transition.
Transition cost would be a one time charge. What a lot of systems found is that ongoing costs were the killer.

My former system has about 1/3 of the high schools on a late opening (8:45/9), another 1/3 at 8:15 and 1/3 at 7:40. To switch all 22 schools to either the middle or latest time.

The estimates were an additional $8M to $12M per year under either scenario. This is a school system that can't pay its vendors on time. Or give staff a raise for 10 years.

Old 12-22-2018, 08:59 PM

16,556 posts, read 9,148,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
A school system with a minimal number of schools, say a combined Jr/Sr high school and a couple elementaries, could likely pull off a mutual schedule although you'd probably have all level of kids riding on the same bus/buses.

Cherry Creek School District is my local school district, serving 54k students spread across 43 elementary schools, 13 middle schools, and six high schools. We pulled it off.

Old 12-22-2018, 11:10 PM

19,651 posts, read 9,258,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post

Well, we had a few situations where middle schoolers were riding on high school buses for specific activities and it was a disaster.

Old 12-23-2018, 01:26 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
21,071 posts, read 38,036,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Well, we had a few situations where middle schoolers were riding on high school buses for specific activities and it was a disaster.
No disasters if we quite socializing kids this way (Age segregated / cattle / chicken / pig pens / babysitters)

No schools or school buses needed either

There are better options with far improved results.

Old 12-23-2018, 02:05 PM

4,499 posts, read 3,211,741 times
In my county, high school starts around 7, elementary school around 8, and middle school around 9. Then the kids get home at 2:30, 3:30, and 4:30, respectively. I believe the middle schoolers have their sports practices in the morning before school.

I have no dog in the race; we homeschool. My teens get up between 8 and 10 each morning in line with their natural rhythms. When they were young, they were up between 6:30 and 7:30. I think the elementary school should start the earliest, then the middle school, then the high school, but I do see the issue with having sports practice after dark and well into dinnertime.

Old 12-23-2018, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
Cherry Creek School District is my local school district, serving 54k students spread across 43 elementary schools, 13 middle schools, and six high schools. We pulled it off.
How much additional expense?

I didn't say that it can't be done, just how much is willing to be spent.

Old 12-23-2018, 04:45 PM

905 posts, read 452,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
CCSD changed their start times for HS to 8:20 from 7:10... This is basically a course correction after years of bumping start times forwards. When. I started highschool in the district start times were 7:40ish but they bumped the times forwards throughout the 2000s in order to say they were increasing instructional time. Meanwhile in DCSD next door schools were starting between 7:45 and 8:00. Researchers generally recommend start times closer to 9:00pm... But that means late release causing problems with activities and sports.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or