U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2018, 04:48 PM

904 posts, read 452,342 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Transition cost would be a one time charge. What a lot of systems found is that ongoing costs were the killer.

My former system has about 1/3 of the high schools on a late opening (8:45/9), another 1/3 at 8:15 and 1/3 at 7:40. To switch all 22 schools to either the middle or latest time.

The estimates were an additional $8M to $12M per year under either scenario. This is a school system that can't pay its vendors on time. Or give staff a raise for 10 years.
Right, I meant ongoing costs... Especially in a district that has huge financial problems anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2018, 06:55 PM

16,556 posts, read 9,148,822 times
Quote:
How much additional expense?

I didn't say that it can't be done, just how much is willing to be spent.
Scott Siegfried, associate superintendent of Cherry Creek School District, reported to the media that the change was budget neutral; however, I did not look up our district's annual report to confirm.

Old 12-23-2018, 07:03 PM

32,551 posts, read 39,959,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
Scott Siegfried, associate superintendent of Cherry Creek School District, reported to the media that the change was budget neutral; however, I did not look up our district's annual report to confirm.
Yeah, those numbers would be interesting to see. Several DC area school systems have toyed with the idea (albeit all are larger in student numbers than the one you mentioned) and all of them came up with additional costs in the eight figure range.

A lot would also depend on the system's geographical size and how bus service is set up (private contractors versus system owned and operated buses).

Old 12-23-2018, 07:15 PM

16,556 posts, read 9,148,822 times
Quote:
Yeah, those numbers would be interesting to see. Several DC area school systems have toyed with the idea (albeit all are larger in student numbers than the one you mentioned) and all of them came up with additional costs in the eight figure range.

A lot would also depend on the system's geographical size and how bus service is set up (private contractors versus system owned and operated buses).
Our buses are district owned and operated, but one thing I should mention about our transportation program is that many of our elementary schools are walkable, and the walk zones for the middle and high school are pretty big, although I'm having a hard time locating the specifics on our website right now. I want to say that it's a mile for middle school and 1.5 miles for high school. My kids walked about a 1/2 mile to our neighborhood elementary. They rode a bus to middle school and part of high school because they are both on the other side of town. After sophomore year, they either drove themselves or carpooled with other students from our neighborhood.

Last edited by randomparent; 12-23-2018 at 07:28 PM..

Old 12-24-2018, 08:51 AM

5,973 posts, read 3,199,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
Our buses are district owned and operated, but one thing I should mention about our transportation program is that many of our elementary schools are walkable, and the walk zones for the middle and high school are pretty big, although I'm having a hard time locating the specifics on our website right now. I want to say that it's a mile for middle school and 1.5 miles for high school. My kids walked about a 1/2 mile to our neighborhood elementary. They rode a bus to middle school and part of high school because they are both on the other side of town. After sophomore year, they either drove themselves or carpooled with other students from our neighborhood.
Could be something like this. The district we live in has declared all the schools walkable and only owns about four buses for field trips and sports. That puts all the transportation load on the parents. And "walkable" is a very vague term. The reality is very few district kids actually live within a practical walk of a school. The "walking" route to the elementary our kids attended was two miles along a high traffic road with no shoulder and no sidewalk. I wouldn't walk that road as an adult, much less let my elementary kid do it.

Old 12-24-2018, 09:24 PM

8,336 posts, read 7,310,956 times
The public school district in my town suggested a later start time a few years ago. It was met with a lot of push-back from parents due to the fact that so many, at least the majority who complained, commuted in to the city (Manhattan) via train/bus/car and/or had an hour commute to another town/city in the state (longer if traffic or bad weather) and had to leave early in the morning to make it to work on time. They already dropped their elementary & middle school students off for before school care programs & that is because elementary and MS children are too young to leave at home and trust that they'd get their extra sleep, not hit the snooze button 20 times, shower (or not), dressed, eat, and get to their bus stop safely without an adult around (this of course excludes all "perfect" children). The town didn't change the start time.

Old Today, 04:55 AM

402 posts, read 149,729 times
Well my school start and finish time was

7AM-2PM
8AM-3PM

Highschool could end early or late. Depend on what kind of student you are.

This crap is revolved around teachers and their pay

Old Today, 05:07 AM

32,551 posts, read 39,959,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanArt View Post

7AM-2PM
8AM-3PM

What? Students don't set the hours.

No it's doesn't The push for later starting times comes mainly from parents.

Old Today, 11:44 AM

19,651 posts, read 9,258,361 times
Quote:

7AM-2PM
8AM-3PM

How does when the school day begins and ends relate to teacher pay?

Many years our school's hours shifted due to busing needs, it had nothing to do with teacher pay.

Old Today, 12:05 PM

904 posts, read 452,342 times
Quote:

7AM-2PM
8AM-3PM

This is a very poorly worded post... I think you should clarify your intended meaning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or