Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2018, 11:41 PM

105 posts, read 75,421 times

Advertisements

I don't want to cherry pick something so here is the search link itself early school starts hurt children - Google Search 100s of articles pointing out the harms.

Why can't we fix this I hated those early starts. First few hours of school just had a headache.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2018, 03:14 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,836,530 times
I wish we could fix this and our ISD here in Texas is considering changing the start times so high school is later and middle schools are earlier. It will not likely happen though until my granddaughter is out of high school as she is a junior this year. The reason that they can't do all the starts late is that the buses run to both middle and high school (and elementary) on staggered schedules and it would cost a lot of money to have more buses not on a staggered schedule. Our high school right now starts way too early, imo. The excuse is that kids have after school jobs and that high school sports would have a problem unless all the districts decided to do this at the same time (Texas is big on high school football).

Old 12-14-2018, 09:16 PM

3,086 posts, read 7,599,432 times
Our district tried that change (high school starting later and middle school earlier) many years ago and changed it back the following year by request of the principals of the high schools.

Absences in the later periods increased significantly.

Various organizations needed to leave to get to competitions on time.....sports, fine arts and academics all included.

Getting out later conflicted with those who had after school jobs as well as those students having regular dental/medical appointments.

The changes they expected to occur did not. Kids did not get more sleep, they just shifted everything an hour later. Also after school practices and rehearsals had to be moved to before school, so no extra sleep for those participants. First period absences did not decrease, in fact they increased.

Not at all what they expected. Just one example of it being tried.....

Old 12-15-2018, 09:14 AM

12,709 posts, read 8,929,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
..The excuse is that kids have after school jobs and that high school sports would have a problem unless all the districts decided to do this at the same time (Texas is big on high school football).
I wouldn't call that an excuse but reality. My kids in high school for example were leaving sometimes at 630 for before school practice or clubs and not getting home until after 10 many nights due to sports and theater or other clubs (you could substitute band or chorus as well for the kids doing that). And then doing homework until 1 AM. Those were just regular days, not including actual game days.

And kids should be doing that. They should be trying out different things -- sports, theatre, clubs, etc -- to see what they like. The biggest difference I see between today and when I was in school is back then they all understood you had other commitments and each club, coach, etc planned accordingly not to conflict with the other. Today however every one of them demands 100% commitment to their specific sport, club, chorus, or whatever. No kid can give 100% to everything, and they should be trying lots of things. My oldest who just finished college felt that while college courses were more intense, and took more time, there were fewer competing demands on her time than in high school.

Old 12-15-2018, 06:24 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,334,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
I
And kids should be doing that. They should be trying out different things -- sports, theatre, clubs, etc -- to see what they like. The biggest difference I see between today and when I was in school is back then they all understood you had other commitments and each club, coach, etc planned accordingly not to conflict with the other. Today however every one of them demands 100% commitment to their specific sport, club, chorus, or whatever. No kid can give 100% to everything, and they should be trying lots of things. My oldest who just finished college felt that while college courses were more intense, and took more time, there were fewer competing demands on her time than in high school.
I agree and I also get tired of people who preach it's a waste of time/ money to have a kid in activities after school. There are a lot of advantages and benefits to a kid being involved in these things.

Old 12-15-2018, 06:36 PM

45,114 posts, read 60,214,676 times
We went from an early high school to a later one for a few years.

The same kids were late to school at both start times.
The same kids fell asleep in 1st Period at both start times.
The same kids who got low grades at the early start got low grades at the later start.
The same teachers were late everyday at both start times.
The same lazy ass administrators couldn't make it in until halfway through the lunch period at both start times.

Old 12-16-2018, 07:10 AM

7,005 posts, read 12,446,591 times
When I was in high school (Texas), they moved our start time about an hour later (it might have been 45 minutes). They had two reasons for this. They wanted to give the high schoolers more sleep, and it made it easier and cheaper to coordinate bus routes. I don't know if the school district has the same start time now, but it had it years later when my sibling went to high school.

I played sports and didn't notice any issues with the later start time. It actually made it easier for the JV team to practice in the morning. Varsity practiced after school.

My school district also had a work program that let students out early. If you were behind on credits, however, you wouldn't be allowed in the program.

Old 12-16-2018, 07:15 AM

44,256 posts, read 64,216,996 times
Lots of places already have this in place for the high schools.
We had an 0845 start for first period at my high school - and a 'zero hour' class for several sports teams that started before that (but also allowed for a shower, etc).

I think it's smart.

Old 12-16-2018, 07:20 AM

7,005 posts, read 12,446,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Lots of places already have this in place for the high schools.
We had an 0845 start for first period at my high school - and a 'zero hour' class for several sports teams that started before that (but also allowed for a shower, etc).

I think it's smart.
At my school, we also had a zero hour class for athletes called study hall. Sometimes, our coaches would use the study hall time for practice so that we could go home earlier. Additionally, sports and JROTC were classes that counted toward the PE requirement.

Old 12-16-2018, 07:44 AM

35,522 posts, read 17,818,962 times
I agree. I also live in Texas, and we have staggered start times so the buses can be reused.

Elementary starts at 7:30 (GOD) and high school starts at 9:05. Ideally, I think everyone should start at 8:30 and end at 3:30.

They'd have to have 3X the buses they do, and 3X the bus drivers. I wonder how many bus routes are full, though, so maybe they could be combined.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education