U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2018, 01:09 PM

1,802 posts, read 421,052 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyWifiGoesSlow View Post
I believe they want the population stupid so they are easier to control.

Again I will do the Google search link instead of linking a page The Deliberate Dumbing Down - Google Search

Is it true ?
Once a company grows so large, even simple tasks are sometimes broken down into multiple parts and several full time jobs are created.

Sounds good, right?

Well, if you ever work in one of these jobs, it's very hard to find another job because of the limited scope you had in the overall end-to-end process. You're probably paid very well, above market, even. But you won't be an "expert" as the experience you have is so predictable from one week to the next. With no fires to put out or analytical thinking required, all of the uncertainties have already been Six-Sigma'ed out and LEAN'ed out of what you do.

You don't leave, because, well, the money. And you don't hate your job, far from it. But it is a rude awakening when you're outsourced or laid off and you have to start interviewing and writing what your job description actually was.

Old 12-14-2018, 04:27 PM

15,425 posts, read 17,068,749 times
The high school my grandchildren go to is certainly not *dumbed down.* She is struggling this year as a junior because she is taking 4 AP classes (Physics, PreCalc, Chemistry and American History) and also taking Spanish 3 honors. The only *regular* class she has is English because the honors English was difficult for her last year. She also has taken the SATs as a Freshman, Sophomore and now as a Junior (the PSAT) and her scores have gone up each year.

Her history classes have covered things not covered when her parents were in school and also from different perspectives not all white male (which is good) although Texas has tried to stop American history from covering anything from a Hispanic perspective. Luckily her school has not accepted the textbooks that the state wanted them to use, so they still study more than what the Texas board wants them to cover.

Old 12-14-2018, 09:53 PM

19,501 posts, read 9,187,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toobusytoday View Post
Sexist much? Your masculine brain?? From what I've seen from my kids not so long ago education, facts are still taught and even better, students learn how to sift facts from feelings to make smart decisions. Data driven decisions is a pretty common buzz phrase. Unfortunately, this is not true at every school.
Excellent post.

Learning a lot of facts is overrated. Learning to use facts is the key to critical thinking skills.

Old 12-14-2018, 09:57 PM

73,845 posts, read 65,530,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtab4994 View Post
It's not so much a dumbing down as placing emphasis on feelings rather than facts. To the masculine brain that seems like dumbing down. Facts are still taught, but in the context of how they make one feel.
What? In what school? You can't extrapolate your (apparently strange) experience to all schools.

Old 12-14-2018, 11:58 PM

19,501 posts, read 9,187,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
What? In what school? You can't extrapolate your (apparently strange) experience to all schools.
Ruth, you tell us about your experiences. He has the same right. That doesn't mean that I agree with him.

Old 12-15-2018, 01:38 AM

101 posts, read 9,415 times
I know every generation ridicules the ones after them but its pretty bad heads all stuck in their phones all day.

Look at "educational" TV

Is there anything to "discover" on Discovery channel ? I was channel flipping and every educational channel had police shows on at the same time, like Animal Planet never ending shows on arresting old ladies cause they have too many cats. Forget science just glorify state power !!

I found this, from the The Onion. Science Channel Refuses To Dumb Down Science Any Further

Quote:
"Look, we've tried, we really have, but it's simply not possible to set the bar any lower," said a visibly exhausted Bunting, adding that he "could not in good conscience" make science any more mindless or insultingly juvenile...

Debbie Myers, general manager of the Science Channel, said the cable station has maintained a balance of 5 percent science content and 95 percent mind-numbing drivel over the past few years, and that this was as far as they were willing to go...

While they won't be dumbing down their already crude lineup of shows, Science Channel officials assured viewers that the network will continue to cater to the lowest common denominator and will keep airing embarrassingly base content completely stripped of all intellectual integrity.https://www.theonion.com/science-cha...the-1819571288

Its bad, real bad. I really believe they want the population stupid. And to worship stupid.

Last edited by toobusytoday; 12-15-2018 at 08:48 AM.. Reason: removed last sentence of quote. please post no more than three sentences from another source

Old 12-15-2018, 02:12 AM

7,037 posts, read 4,333,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citylove101 View Post
as tnff said, no, there is no secret group waiting around to make sure kids don't learn anything. But what kids learn now is very different than what they learned 50 years ago, and i think that confuses some people.

--for instance, it was once far more common to have foreign language classes in elementary school--where they made sense because that's when it's easiest to pick up a second language--but it's pretty rare now.
--most english classes almost always had a big grammar component. That's no longer the case. Biut writing well is emphasized a lot more now than it was when i was a kid. Go figure.
--remember your old history classes? History was almost always a steady diet of the achievements of dead
white men. Thankfully we've gotten past that.
-- and your average high school civics class back then was very much focused on the federal government. Now it's generally focused as much on the workings and issues of state and local governments, which i think is all to the good.
--and where were the high-level math courses back then? Unless you were in a private or test-entry school, they mostly didn't exist. No calculus in my old high school, but now its much more common.

So kids are learning different things, and some of that is due to the emphasis on standardized testing squeezing out other learning opportunities. But a lot of what's new is not dumber, it's just different, reflects an acknowledgment of a changing world, and in some cases is a real improvement over the old days.

And btw, that website in the op immediately put me off when i clicked through and one of the subject tabs at the top of the page was "soviets in the classroom." spare me. Just spare me.
+1.

Old 12-15-2018, 04:01 AM

101 posts, read 9,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtab4994 View Post
It's not so much a dumbing down as placing emphasis on feelings rather than facts. To the masculine brain that seems like dumbing down. Facts are still taught, but in the context of how they make one feel.
As long as we are on that have you noticed...

Dumbing down Dad: How media present husbands, fathers as useless https://www.deseretnews.com/article/...s-useless.html

Old 12-15-2018, 08:40 AM

397 posts, read 146,667 times
Quote:
I believe they want the population stupid so they are easier to control.

Again I will do the Google search link instead of linking a page The Deliberate Dumbing Down - Google Search

Is it true ?
Well that is absolutely true. They do not want people to think for themselves.
Seperation of sexes
Seperation of parents from educational institution
Drugging children in order to sell pharmaceutical products.
Lessing the population by creating ideas like "Too old", "Too young", LGBT is normal, Using fear.
Lying about safety facts about public events to prevent people from getting into accidents.
Creating prison mentality into youths and having them spend the rest of their lives as property of state
Removing Swimming, Shop, Driving from public schools
Making it seem that elderly people are unable to drive and dependent on transportation
Tricking elderly into Medicaid Aides and Nurses who do not respect the patient as a person but product
Dividing the family
Using sex, Alcohol, drugs, products ( Like toys ) as a way of control
Making people blind with blue light like televisions and phones or the computer I am using right now.
People calling themselves celebrities when in reality they are sponsors who promotes wreckless spending
News Traps that is really sponsored content
Promoting minorities when in reality you are keeping the value ( tax ) of the properties down
First time land owners who in reality are stubborn future elderly traps "look at NC/SC/FL" No minorities right?
Filling our children heads with media that can not benefit them at all. All those cable channels and for what?
Creating fear to separate the sexes, races, cultures and grouping.
Dumping plastics and polymers into our children and adults bodies.
Promoting racism even if your children are marrying into a race group that is more violent then the other.
Mimicking and worshiping organized crime including street gangs and crews as normal
Eating yourself into a grave being a victim of Medical Malpractice. "pill/pen safer then Injections"
Having your organs being illegally harvested in a clinic/hospital meant to save cancer patients.
Going to college for more then ten years only to end up in a job where your co-workers do not have a GED.
Knowing your kids are being molded into being whores and mindless killers for the defense industries.
Fighting your nation with blood of innocence on your hands only to end up on the street homeless in old age
Being positive or right in your life only to be used as a tool or toy just to be thrown away and forgotten

Homosexuals/Heretics/Blasphemers collecting off your Educational, Psychology, Academia, Beauty products, and Religion industries while you ( or me ) with all your power, all your knowledge is somehow too weak, or too slow, or too stupid to counter it by buckling down and studying to collect some of that bread to curb the tide and what is weaker is when your own children or misguided and you are paralyzed to do anything about curbing the tide due to selfish ideas.

Pouring all your blood ( work ) and sweat ( gold ) down the crotch of a worthless woman who have so many features gone wrong your mind eludes you to what is right or wrong. You try to say it is acceptable and that it is alright but in reality you know it is not. You fight it with all your might and in reality you see your own grand parent who would do this instead of actually thinking ( omgsh my only grand child is not going anywhere in life ).

The population is so brainwashed is so sad. People with educational burning their money in the wrong places. Whether it be man woman or child. I wrote this as much but thinking about it is depressing when you tally the overall reality.

The goal is not to keep people dumb but to keep them thinking in a certain pattern. Like the way my parents think is not wrong but that same pattern they follow is what they are keeping around. It is like taking a river and irrigating it to water crops. However it is more like destroying the nation of Panama in order to move shipping ships through. It was not needed and was forced on to the government. Only taking generations to restore. Is Panama restored yet?

Also to understand a conspiracy is factual. A conspiracy theory/Hypotheses is an assumption. Like how the USA is really a consumer race meant to bear fruit and products for the wealthy. Like a nation of workers. Similar to what Dubai is really "A nation of workers".

Last edited by toobusytoday; 12-15-2018 at 08:53 AM..

Old 12-15-2018, 08:59 AM

5,938 posts, read 3,173,547 times
Quote:
I know every generation ridicules the ones after them but its pretty bad heads all stuck in their phones all day.

Look at "educational" TV

Is there anything to "discover" on Discovery channel ? I was channel flipping and every educational channel had police shows on at the same time, like Animal Planet never ending shows on arresting old ladies cause they have too many cats. Forget science just glorify state power !!

I found this, from the The Onion. Science Channel Refuses To Dumb Down Science Any Further

Its bad, real bad. I really believe they want the population stupid. And to worship stupid.
You do understand that Discovery Channel is not "Educational TV" right? And the Onion is a sarcasm & humor item, not a source.

While there are many things I think need improving in our education system, you lose all credibility there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or