U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 12-15-2018, 03:53 PM
 
Location: Alexander Archipelago
2,958 posts, read 1,579,308 times
Reputation: 2946

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I'm not quite following you here, tnff. I think college-prep-track students are a LOT better educated now, than before.
Absolutely, no question about this in my mind.

Considering the preparation in math, science and literature my daughter and her peers received recently (She's now a college junior), it's clearly superior to my 70's education at the same HS as theirs.

 
Old 12-15-2018, 07:03 PM
 
896 posts, read 446,940 times
Reputation: 1929
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanv3 View Post
As long as personal finance, investment is not taught at school, it will always be a dumbed down version.

I bet they wont teach anyting about finance at all to the common masses.
We do, every school in our district does.
 
Old 12-15-2018, 07:31 PM
 
12,481 posts, read 27,295,744 times
Reputation: 7001
They teach personal finance in my districts High School too. I didn't have it when I was in school but my Dad was an accountant and I learned from him. Again, just because some schools don't teach something, or you didn't have it when you were in school, heaven knows when, does not mean that's how it is across the US.
__________________
Please follow THESE rules.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.
 
Old 12-15-2018, 08:47 PM
 
5,938 posts, read 3,173,547 times
Reputation: 15646
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I'm not quite following you here, tnff. I think college-prep-track students are a LOT better educated now, than before. As for the non-college-track kids, IDK, that may not have changed much.

The comparison (between "then" and "now") may depend on the school, and what materials it chooses, what books, as to whether content is dumbed down or not. And how dumbed down can it be, if we're talking about colleges that require HS students to take college classes, or a number of AP classes, in HS? If we're to compare apples with apples, college-prep-track HS students now are much better prepared.
...
Another example, is that more science is required now. It used to be, that to get into any of the CA universities, students only needed basic biology in their final two years of HS. One lab science, and that's all. For some, that was the sum total of ANY science instruction they'd ever received in their 12 years of pre-college schooling.

Is history instruction watered down these days? I don't know, is it? Geography? That's always been kind of weak.

Compared to some of those 8th-grade tests kids in the early part of the last century had to pass, we've dumbed down. But compared to just a couple of generations ago, I don't think so.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Cleric View Post
Absolutely, no question about this in my mind.

Considering the preparation in math, science and literature my daughter and her peers received recently (She's now a college junior), it's clearly superior to my 70's education at the same HS as theirs.
I think it's very school dependent. The top students in some schools may be better prepared than others. But that doesn't mean all students are better prepared. Having more science credits does mean they actually learned science. This is an area that many science professional societies and employers (including mine -- mine will actually pay employees some hours to donate to STEM) have become concerned about. Kids are taking more chemistry and physics but graduating without actually knowing chemistry or physics the high school level. They enter college chem labs without knowing how to make basic measurements or do basic experiments. In too many schools science classes are like the one my kids graduated from -- window dressing. Sure, they had the class and filled the square/checked that box. There's also staring to be a reluctance to accept AP for core because they are finding it's not actually preparing students for college level work. How well the student is prepared for college level work is more dependent on the teacher than the score on the AP test.
 
Old 12-15-2018, 09:52 PM
 
15,928 posts, read 13,381,036 times
Reputation: 19832
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtab4994 View Post
My feelings are valid.


Look, if you've got someone claiming that schools may be "deliberately dumbing down" the curriculum, I think telling them to consider that it's their masculine brain telling them that, is a perfectly reasonable approach.
Your FEELINGS are valid? The ones about masculine brains?

LOL.
 
Old 12-15-2018, 09:54 PM
 
15,928 posts, read 13,381,036 times
Reputation: 19832
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyWifiGoesSlow View Post

I found this, from the The Onion. Science Channel Refuses To Dumb Down Science Any Further




Its bad, real bad. I really believe they want the population stupid. And to worship stupid.
Did you really just post from the onion as a source? On a thread about "dumbing down"? In a post where you complain about "the population" being stupid? Is this post supposed to be ironic?
 
Old 12-15-2018, 09:56 PM
 
15,928 posts, read 13,381,036 times
Reputation: 19832
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
Requiring more, in terms of calc, AP classes, etc, does not mean the students in high school are any more prepared than in the past. Making more classes available to the upper students is good, but does not mean other students are taking them, nor does it mean they are learning more general math, etc. In many ways this ties to the basic theme -- we may be graduating more students in more classes, but to do so have dumbed down the content so that a high diploma doesn't mean the same thing.
More students are taking AP classes than ever before. We know this objectively.
 
Old 12-15-2018, 11:08 PM
 
26 posts, read 6,698 times
Reputation: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyWifiGoesSlow View Post
I believe they want the population stupid so they are easier to control.

Again I will do the Google search link instead of linking a page The Deliberate Dumbing Down - Google Search

Is it true ?
Absolutely and without a doubt.
 
Old 12-15-2018, 11:35 PM
 
Location: State of Transition
73,846 posts, read 65,530,794 times
Reputation: 70329
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
I think it's very school dependent. The top students in some schools may be better prepared than others. But that doesn't mean all students are better prepared. Having more science credits does mean they actually learned science. This is an area that many science professional societies and employers (including mine -- mine will actually pay employees some hours to donate to STEM) have become concerned about. Kids are taking more chemistry and physics but graduating without actually knowing chemistry or physics the high school level. They enter college chem labs without knowing how to make basic measurements or do basic experiments. In too many schools science classes are like the one my kids graduated from -- window dressing. Sure, they had the class and filled the square/checked that box. There's also staring to be a reluctance to accept AP for core because they are finding it's not actually preparing students for college level work. How well the student is prepared for college level work is more dependent on the teacher than the score on the AP test.
Thanks for explaining. There's probably wide variation from district to district and state to state, etc., as to how Subject matter is covered.
 
Old Yesterday, 12:55 AM
 
102 posts, read 9,415 times
Reputation: 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
Did you really just post from the onion as a source? On a thread about "dumbing down"? In a post where you complain about "the population" being stupid? Is this post supposed to be ironic?
It was supposed to be funny and it was. You have not noticed that Discovery, Nat Geo and all the educational channels are just full on stupid now ? Remember when Discovery first came out and you actually discovered-learned things ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top