U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 05:14 PM

24,971 posts, read 27,174,028 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyWifiGoesSlow View Post
I believe they want the population stupid so they are easier to control.

Again I will do the Google search link instead of linking a page The Deliberate Dumbing Down - Google Search

Is it true ?
People will argue about it endlessly, I'm sure. But I definitely believe it's true.

There are definitely many methods used. I think the biggest way it's done is making single parenthood a viable lifestyle choice. The evidence is now overwhelming that kids who spend time in single parent families do worse in life on pretty much any metric you want to pick (Even liberal researchers admit as much). Yes, I know there will always be exceptions, just like there are for healthy 90 year olds who smoked a pack of cigarettes a day and died peacefully in their sleep, so please folks, spare me your cherry picked exceptions.

We also have a situation where smart people seem to have fewer kids and less smart people have more, as pointed out in movies like Idiocracy.. I definitely think it's been engineered that way.

Old Yesterday, 05:21 PM

24,971 posts, read 27,174,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
None of this is a grand conspiracy.
Unfortunately, I believe it is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
It's a collection of well meaning individuals who want everyone to feel good about themselves and who think they are helping those students, when in reality they are doing the opposite. And none of this even gets into the constantly changing teaching methods as they throw out what works while chasing the flavor of the month in new math, new new math, common core math, look-say, phonics, social service hours, and so on.
The well meaning individuals are usually not the ones with real power. The 'flavor of the month' curricula are part of the process. People with the real power know what's going on. They use feelings and emotions to manipulate the people at the lower levels into pursuing the dumbed down agenda.

A lot of people have a problem believing this becausethey would never do something that evil. But just because you wouldn't doesn't mean somebody else wouldn't. And it only has to be a powerful few to have a major influence on society at large.

Old Yesterday, 07:05 PM

32,503 posts, read 39,833,059 times
What almost all of you are missing is that the world of education has undergone a paradigm shift over the last thirty years. The kids who used to drop out, or were pushed out, aren't any more.

Like it or not the jobs those people could do are, by and large, gone. So now you have more kids staying in school to get what's considered the bare minimum now, a high school diploma.

Those kids were always there, most of the people here never came into contact with them due to tracking, the elimination of which was part of that paradigm shift.

Old Yesterday, 09:27 PM

3,918 posts, read 4,559,563 times
In my state, the state is trying to exclude content and adding falsehoods to promote a political agenda in the public schools. When people object to the worst of it, sometimes they back down and sometimes not! Now, I know that back in the 50's and 60's when I was in public schools, some things were not right then, too. The history taught then was meant to portray things to hide the "very inconvenient truths/facts" or to show famous people as being much better people than they really were, to give the kids heros. The educational standards then didn't always prepare kids well for college and jobs, either. I later on was very disappointed when I found out what was truth and was not. Would rather have learned the "real world facts" in the beginning.

Old Yesterday, 10:35 PM

7,696 posts, read 8,129,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
By then, universities were requiring more HS math than before, as an admission requirement. In the 60's, only algebra and geometry were required by schools like UC Berkeley, so in some school, calculus courses didn't exist, and trig was an elective.
Maybe where you were, not in my neck of the woods where trig was a requirement for a HS diploma. If you couldn't hack it back then, you just dropped out. Tuition-free UC Berkeley was a very different school in the 60s than now.

Old Yesterday, 11:58 PM

101 posts, read 9,415 times
Dumbing down is my favorite conspiracy, you can plainly see it but very difficult to point at who is doing it and how they are doing it.

Old Today, 12:43 AM

73,842 posts, read 65,530,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
Maybe where you were, not in my neck of the woods where trig was a requirement for a HS diploma. If you couldn't hack it back then, you just dropped out. Tuition-free UC Berkeley was a very different school in the 60s than now.
Where are you from? No West Coast universities that I know of required advanced math for admission back then, except maybe Stanford and CalTech. Trig was phased in as a requirement in the 70's.

Old Today, 04:54 AM

9,686 posts, read 7,550,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyWifiGoesSlow View Post
I believe they want the population stupid so they are easier to control.

Again I will do the Google search link instead of linking a page The Deliberate Dumbing Down - Google Search

Is it true ?
There is a deliberate anti-education campaign going on in America. It shows up here on CD. It's
on Fox News. When people talk about the "elites," they aren't talking about financial elites. They are referring to educational elites.

Old Today, 08:02 AM

11,920 posts, read 6,163,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Where are you from? No West Coast universities that I know of required advanced math for admission back then, except maybe Stanford and CalTech. Trig was phased in as a requirement in the 70's.

When did trigonometry become "advanced math"? Back in the dark ages, my High School taught it as a short add-on course called "Mini Trig". It's just "applied geometry". If you've completed a High School geometry course that's any good, you can learn trigonometry in a half dozen hours of classroom time.

Maybe it's an east coast thing but in 1976, I don't remember anybody in my university calculus class who hadn't already seen calculus before. The first semester was a review for pretty much everybody. If you didn't have the level of preparation, you very likely weren't doing any kind of STEM track.

Old Today, 08:34 AM

25,031 posts, read 60,293,797 times
I find that new hires are not so much dumb, but lazy. They have the capacity for rational thinking and problem solving, they just lack the motivation to bother. They lack the drive to achieve. Just do the minimum seems to be the goal today. The most important thought upon arriving at work is getting to 4:59 and walking out the door while doing as little as possible in the interim.

This is not universal. there are some achievers, but it is true of the majority of young employees I have encountered.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or