U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old Today, 08:41 AM

11,920 posts, read 6,163,294 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
I find that new hires are not so much dumb, but lazy. They have the capacity for rational thinking and problem solving, they just lack the motivation to bother. They lack the drive to achieve. Just do the minimum seems to be the goal today. The most important thought upon arriving at work is getting to 4:59 and walking out the door while doing as little as possible in the interim.

This is not universal. there are some achievers, but it is true of the majority of young employees I have encountered.

That's why the top employers put so much emphasis on hiring people with good grades from top schools. To get admitted in the first place, you had to have a strong work ethic. To graduate from a top school that feeds you a heavy work load, you had to sustain that work ethic.

I'm 60 1/2. I was the go-to guy at all of my jobs for the first 30+ years of my career. Now, I've hit the point where I'm working for the paycheck.

Old Today, 08:48 AM

272 posts, read 58,246 times
Their intention becomes very apparent when you avoid TV and really pay attention to what is going on around you.
Once you get enough real data from your observations it's as obvious as the sun rising.
Now, you will be doing a lot of reflecting, so do not get upset. They are good at what they do and it is subtle.
It is obvious once you watch TV, for comparison, after avoiding it.
In the educational arena teaching to the test is the most obvious, so is breaking down our public school system.

Old Today, 08:54 AM

15,694 posts, read 29,516,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyWifiGoesSlow View Post
I believe they want the population stupid so they are easier to control.

Again I will do the Google search link instead of linking a page The Deliberate Dumbing Down - Google Search

Is it true ?
I believe there is a huge divergence between good students and poor students. Good ones are encouraged to learn poor ones seem to be "too much trouble" for over worked and under paid teachers and are given a pass.

Even so, good students may be brilliant at trigonometry or bio physics but most of them have no common sense and are unable to think for themselves. What good is all the intellect in the world if you are nothing more than a mental robot?

Then again, I believe the models have always existed. There is nothing new under the sun, as Hamlet would say.

Old Today, 09:14 AM

32,503 posts, read 39,833,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
I believe there is a huge divergence between good students and poor students. Good ones are encouraged to learn poor ones seem to be "too much trouble" for over worked and under paid teachers and are given a pass.

Even so, good students may be brilliant at trigonometry or bio physics but most of them have no common sense and are unable to think for themselves. What good is all the intellect in the world if you are nothing more than a mental robot?

Then again, I believe the models have always existed. There is nothing new under the sun, as Hamlet would say.
No, the problem is that teachers have to spend so much time dealing with the non/underachievers that the better students, both advanced and average, get sort of forgotten.

The theory, and actuality to an extent, is that the smarter kids will learn it on their own while the lower students are the ones who will kill you on the mandated tests and cause you not to meet your required improvement goals.

You have to remember that unless a kid is in Honors or SPED the classes will have a jumble of abilities all grouped together. I had to teach a mandated Government class, well two sections, one year. It was a nominally 9th Grade class.

The student profile consisted of some kids who should have been in Honors, some who were average but not Honors, some whose average reading level was 2nd/3rd Grade, some who had previously failed both the class and the test, some who had previously passed the class but failed the test and some who had previously failed the class but passed the test. About 40 kids in each section.

As far as some grand conspiracy directed by shadowy New World Order/Agenda 21/Masonic members, that's ludicrous. If people want to see why education is where it is today all they have to do is look in the mirror.

Old Today, 09:19 AM

73,842 posts, read 65,530,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
There is a deliberate anti-education campaign going on in America. It shows up here on CD. It's
on Fox News. When people talk about the "elites," they aren't talking about financial elites. They are referring to educational elites.
Part of that campaign is about spreading the word, that colleges/universities are indoctrination centers controlled by "the Left". The recommendation is to NOT send your kids to college. so they won't be schooled in Marxism. Keep your kids at home on the farm, or working at Wax-Mart. But if they don't send their kids to college, who's going to teach their kids in K-12? I guess it's ok to send your kids to college, if it's a Christian college...

Old Today, 09:27 AM

4,288 posts, read 1,541,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyWifiGoesSlow View Post
I believe they want the population stupid so they are easier to control.

Again I will do the Google search link instead of linking a page The Deliberate Dumbing Down - Google Search

Is it true ?
Have no idea who the "they" is you mention.

One "they" that definitely wants you dumbed down is anyone wanting to sell you something and control your wallet. This began long ago but got really serious once "they" had the tools to destroy your critical thinking skills and fill the void with meaningless tripe. This really got accelerated in the era of television and continued even faster via cable, and then the Internet and smart devices.

It's a lot easier to sell useless junk to people on credit when they have lost the ability to critically assess what is going on around them.

Old Today, 09:33 AM

272 posts, read 58,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Part of that campaign is about spreading the word, that colleges/universities are indoctrination centers controlled by "the Left". The recommendation is to NOT send your kids to college. so they won't be schooled in Marxism. Keep your kids at home on the farm, or working at Wax-Mart. But if they don't send their kids to college, who's going to teach their kids in K-12? I guess it's ok to send your kids to college, if it's a Christian college...
Your language demonstrates that you are no different than anyone else and that you watch the news and it is your primary source of knowledge.
This has nothing to do with politics. All sides are terrible and need to be purged.
It is about the system purposely distracting people from the real issues by dangling false hopes via the media and TV.
All media is sensational dribble. Like shiny things attracting birds, people are just plain stupid and believe the news holistically, instead of knowing where there truth ends. People have access to the truth, they are just too lazy to investigate.

Old Today, 09:37 AM

11,780 posts, read 7,635,706 times
Students are dumber than they used to be.
Schools hide it by teaching the test.

Old Today, 11:59 AM

101 posts, read 9,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GearHeadDave View Post
Have no idea who the "they" is you mention.

They T.H.E.Y

The Hierarchy Enslaving You

Old Today, 01:57 PM

12,480 posts, read 27,295,744 times
Closed. I can take only so much talk about "They and Them" and conspiracy theories.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or