Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2018, 05:10 PM

28,660 posts, read 18,764,698 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
I'm sure the recruiters emphasize "what's in it for me" to the potential recruits, but you don't see it in the advertising any more.

You said: "Learning a trade and spending a little time in it before college will pay for itself and save both money and frustration down the line." Now perhaps you can explain. The military is not a trade school. They may train you to do something, yes, but whether it's transferable to civilian life is not assured.
I also said:

Quote:
One very important commonality for those people is that they spent some time coming to understand what it takes to earn a living before they went to college.

And that's a good thing. People going to college after a military tour know a lot better what they need, why they need it, and are much more focused on achieving it.
I didn't say anything to imply that the military itself was actually a trade school.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2018, 05:25 PM

42,838 posts, read 26,236,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
about a career path I would say, well you can either go to college rack up a boatload of student debt and maybe not find a job in your chosen field or worse yet find yourself working at Starbucks.

Or consider the trades. Minimal student debt, one to two years of education (and in certain programs, they pay you after the first year) and you can live anywhere and make good money, plus you can easily find a job. In my area electricians and plumbers make $80,000 to $100,000 a year. My auto mechanic owns four houses and he is his own boss working 40 hours a week.

I even saw an article about painters and maintenance workers in urban areas making close to $150K a year.

For the record I am a college grad. But 30 years ago having a degree was a ticket to making a good living. Not so much today. I think high school counselors are doing kids a disservice buy say you gotta go to college to make it.
I don't think those numbers are accurate. My son is an auto mechanic, he has his own shop but when he worked for a dealer he was paid between $23 and $28 an hour, hardly enough to buy one house let alone four. I am not sure where maintenance workers are paid 150k that doesn't even make sense to me.

I would encourage everyone to go to college, we need people who know how to think, to create, to analyze and be critical independent thinkers. A college education gives you the skill to continue to grow and learn. I don't know of any college graduate who has been reduced to being a Starbuck's barista that's just silly. With very little additional schooling a liberal arts graduate could become a credentialed teacher if they can't find a job in their major.

Pushing a high school graduate into trade school is just dandy until automation eliminates the trade they were trained for, at that point they have nothing.

Old 12-27-2018, 06:16 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Re: the military-I was in nursing school (BSN program) in the late 60s/early 70s. We got periodic visits from the military recruiters. They put on a good show. They talked about the great pay (it is), the education benefits (generous), the glamorous places you could be posted, such as Germany (was West Germany at the time), etc. They left off the part about Vietnam.

They had a program that they would pay for 2 years of education plus give you a stipend, then you had to serve 3 years, or they'd pay for 3 and you served 4. My mom was a proud member of the US Army Nurse Corps in WW II. Her advice was to wait, if I wanted to join the Army when I graduated, I could do it then. A lot of water to go under the bridge for a college freshman or sophomore to make a committment for 5 to 7 years.

Old 12-27-2018, 07:38 PM

42,838 posts, read 26,236,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RememberMee View Post
Top paid janitors make more than your son. What the point of these thread, I do not get. Top paid trade spots are occupied and closely guarded by lenghthy licensure process, unions etc.. The rest of trade people kill their health for much less. More of the eager to enter the field candidates will not affect income distribution in any positive fashion. The trades serving customers directly fair the worst. The proles've got no extra income to splurge on 100k trades people. Automotive mechanics are the latest victims. Dealerships hire fresh out of school boys at a deep discount and kick the older farts out. Let's wish them luck with their independent shops.
I doubt if very many janitors make 6 figures. Most janitorial work has been contracted out in both the public and private sector for the past 25 years and people doing the work make minimum wage or at most a few dollars over. You are right about auto mechanics though, new hires even with ASE's aren't getting paid much over $20 an hour.

Old 12-28-2018, 03:41 AM

804 posts, read 544,636 times
The idea of education is to PROVE you have the ability and maintain the TRUST of doing work. This is the reason why you go through so much bs. The colleges make money because non-profit institutions ( like the city ) have entry level jobs for graduates that pays a decent amount. HOWEVER these non-profit institutions will only take specific employees who got training from these places.

To make a long story short. People want "jobs" that are "careers" that are for-filling and makes them feel alive. Not just being thrown money and having sex and buying garbage everyday.

Library employee gets paid mored then a food server

because

The library employee is most likely not an ex-convict, or related person

even if the food server does ten times more work. The food server has the qualification ( food handler certificate ) which increases there liability and the employer could say "our are trained blah blah". ...........

............YESTERDAY no really. the creator of a "Trivia app" died of a drug overdose. His "girlfriend" was the one that notified the authorities of him being missing..

https://www.wsj.com/articles/hq-triv...se-11544988047

There are tons of losers like this. You have a guy in Florida who spends his money on whores basically. One after another. Paying for sex ( which does not count ). Losers who flaunt the idea of being on a yatch with models and breaking expensive toys.

Losers who might have had an IT Computer science career but what they really wanted was money. While they had a good position they were "let go" after the crash and just do a job with ex-convicts all day long pretending there lives is normal because of what is in there pocket.

There are tons of idiots out there making babies and barely are enjoying life at all. They have tons of money. Money they give to something called a family. Recently this guy in my area said to his brother

" You did the wrong thing. You saved your money and gave it all to your family members"

meanwhile......down the block a man with his daughter who visited him is being honest and says

" Things aren't doing well. Nothing is good and we are barely surviving" . . . .

So the way I see things if you want to be super loser nerd and make billions of dollars and waste it down a crotch. Then you be that loser. You want to burn it on raising a family and being a selfish parents who could careless where your kids end up. Then do it. . . .

But remember this. All the good in the world is done by people who had ideas and dreams. Those are the things we look at and admire. Those are the things that makes this world interesting. Those are the things that is pumping the economy. If it was not like that then the world would just be.

Like $@!$! this and $!$!#$!# that and cry like a $#@$!$$ because your brain is not full with progression and prosperity..

Old 12-28-2018, 09:48 AM

10,609 posts, read 5,639,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
But even 30 years ago....hell - 50 years ago....it was a ticket to corporate misery for a talented, ambitious person of integrity and of independent mind. Half the degreed people who have spent decades in corporate offices have no particular talent whatsoever and no particular value but for keeping their assigned cog in the wheel of corporate politics oiled.

Not in my experience. In my experience, it is more like salmon swimming upstream, where everyone is hoping the company will make it so their pre-IPO stock becomes valuable -- or where their post-IPO stock options become valuable. Anyone who isn't exceptional is jettisoned quite rapidly. There is no space for people with below-exceptional talent.

Old 12-28-2018, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RememberMee View Post
A super duper skilled tradesman working on his own ...

...isn't a tradesman. He/She is operating a business. There is a big difference.

Old 12-28-2018, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincolnian View Post
Many schools often lack any true nonacademic offerings. Classes like wood shop have been replaced

The path to the theological place of eternal punishment, they say, is paved with good intentions.

In the case of public schools eliminating wood shop, metal shop, auto shop, electronics shop etc happened for a reason lined with good intentions.

In the 1960s, civil rights attorneys and social justice warriors observed that a disproportionately large percentage of African Americans were shunted away from academic tracks into vocational tracks, and a disproportionately large percentage of young women were shunted away from academic tracks into secretarial tracks.

Insert several high profile lawsuits, and school districts were pretty much forced to eliminate vocational and secretarial tracks so everyone could go to college.

Old 12-28-2018, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
I doubt if very many janitors make 6 figures.

San Francisco janitor makes $276K with overtime pay

https://abc13.com/finance/san-francisco-janitor-makes-$276k-with-overtime-pay/1585474/

Quote:
Wednesday, November 02, 2016
SAN FRANCISCO, CA --
Cleaning train stations in San Francisco means big bucks for one janitor. He raked in nearly $200,000 in overtime last year.

The janitor puts in 114 hours a week, according to a researcher who discovered the janitor's pay. The researcher who discovered all of this says the janitor isn't to blame, Bay Area Rapid Transit, or BART, is.

The average BART janitor makes $50,000 a year. But Lang Jow Jong raked in $162,000 in overtime, making his total compensation for last year more than $276,000.

Old 12-28-2018, 10:20 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RationalExpectations View Post
The path to the theological place of eternal punishment, they say, is paved with good intentions.

In the case of public schools eliminating wood shop, metal shop, auto shop, electronics shop etc happened for a reason lined with good intentions.

In the 1960s, civil rights attorneys and social justice warriors observed that a disproportionately large percentage of African Americans were shunted away from academic tracks into vocational tracks, and a disproportionately large percentage of young women were shunted away from academic tracks into secretarial tracks.

Insert several high profile lawsuits, and school districts were pretty much forced to eliminate vocational and secretarial tracks so everyone could go to college.
Could you give some examples of these lawsuits? I agree, I have heard of criticism about "tracking" minorities, not so much women, but I am not aware of any schools totally eliminating vocational courses. My kids were required to take at least one practical arts course, a requirement that is still extant in my district. As far as secretarial, it is not necessary to learn mimeograhing and the like any more. All kids learn keyboarding.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education