U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2008, 05:48 PM

5 posts, read 74,422 times
Default Best School Districts in the US for Autistic children

Hi Everyone,

Can anyone please suggest the best school districts/cities in the US for special education (ed. assistance for kids with autism)? We have a 7 yr. old high functioning autistic child. Currently we live in Michigan area and are looking to move to a school district area which will better support my son's special eductation needs.

We are willing to move anywhere in the US as I have a consulting job and I travel 4 days a week and I can do this from any major city/suburb in the US.

Any guidance or suggestions about resources where we can find such information will be highly appreciated.

Thanks,

Veekay
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2008, 09:32 PM

68 posts, read 318,046 times
we are looking for the same thing.

I've been looking in Chicago (has lots of private autism schools, from what I've found, the trick is moving to the right area to get your child referred). New Jersey (although they do not promote inclusion, I've been told) also has lots of public collaborative autism schools. Delaware Autism Program - I just found out about. It's a statewide program that is supposed to be good. Other than it, I'm not sure about the schools there though. I've also been told St. Louis. I've read about good things in NY and California, possibly Florida. I would avoid NC, SC, GA, AL, IN, OH. Those are my thoughts so far! Please feel free to share if you have any! I'm starting to stress about this decision

Old 04-13-2008, 10:29 PM

395 posts, read 895,479 times
If you are looking for good school districts for Autism Services then do not go to Marion County Florida. That's for sure.My eleven year od daughter is low functioning autistic and I was so mad at them I pulled her out of school to homeschool and she is doing much better.We were always at it over something with them.

Old 04-15-2008, 08:19 PM

I've had family there for years, and I hate Florida anyways... something about that place. But thanks for the heads up!

I figure unless you are in Texas or California, southern states should be avoided. We are headed northernly.

Old 04-15-2008, 08:21 PM

oh, and a woman from Chicago (who works with an early intervention program and also has an 11 year old with Aspergers) today told me Wisconsin was super, and she would move there if she could...

Indiana is short on services according to the ARC there.

Crossing off the states.

Old 04-15-2008, 09:17 PM

2,413 posts, read 4,545,466 times
This organization in Massachusetts - South Coast Educational Collaborative - provides special ed services through local town school systems and we have been happy with them.

This private school in Providence, RI is very well regarded: Welcome (http://www.thewolfschool.org/wolf%20school/Welcome.html - broken link)

and St. Andrews School (also in RI) is also well regarded for kids with special needs: Please wait... (http://www.standrews-ri.org/Default.asp?bhcp=1 - broken link)

Old 04-18-2008, 07:24 PM

2,947 posts, read 3,253,687 times
I work in Early Intervention in Phoenix AZ. Do not come here. Its a program under the state Division of Developmental Disabilities and severely underfunded, and not going anywhere. There are private agencies that do alot more but are expensive. I too have heard that Wisconsin has a very good program. I would explore that state to see if it fits your needs.

Old 04-18-2008, 08:47 PM

31 posts, read 91,552 times
I live in Omaha, NE, and my 5 year old son has high functioning autism, which was actually diagnosed by our school district's (Millard Public Schools)early childhood intervention program, and he is going to be starting kindergarten next year in the district's Specialized Behavioral Support Program. Its a really good program located in a regular public school, and he will be mainstreamed as much as possible.

Old 04-21-2008, 06:37 PM
sj3

118 posts, read 442,340 times
NJ is one of the best states for autistic children. In fact, many move here from surrounding states to get the care. We have specialized schools and many school districts that have their own programs that are top notch. I am not sure why the above poster said that NJ doesn't believe in inclusion. That didnt make sense. Those children who are in special schools may not be included in a regular classroom (they aren't even in typical schools) but there are many high functionining children in regular classrooms. As a former teacher, this fact I know!

Old 04-24-2008, 07:56 AM

20 posts, read 119,624 times
I have 2 children on the spectrum who are both doing well. We live on Long Island, New York. For the most part I have been happy and feel supported by my district but have had some hurdles along the way (I think EVERYONE does no matter where you are). I think that is just being part of a special needs child. Anyway, from what I understand, and I am no expert, here in Long Island we tend to have good services (depending on what district you move to). I agree with the above poster who stated that NJ has great services. I had also heard that. I do not know which districts there are good. I am actually looking into the Toronto area which is a huge step and I a nervous about leaving here since things are going so well. Good luck in whatever you choose.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education