U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2019, 02:24 AM

8,714 posts, read 7,694,078 times

Advertisements

It is very dangerous for someone of any age, to pick up a gun just to examine it if they have no idea of how to safely handle a gun. That is how gun accidents happen, and how people get injured or killed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2019, 03:06 AM

3,186 posts, read 1,167,059 times
It is statistically about equal that an Iowa child will grow to be a hunter or a diabetic -- about ten percent. And more Americans die from the misuse of needles, than guns. More injected heroin overdoses than accidental gun deaths. But nobody is calling for mandatory training in the use of needles to self inject drugs.

Old 01-21-2019, 08:13 AM

3,777 posts, read 3,397,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
My only question would be how can a school system afford a program like this if they can't afford driver education?
The NRA and other private groups often fund programs like this.

The school district next door to me was offered new jackets for their HS rifle team through a grant funded by the NRA. The school board was spooked by the political implications, and they declined the offer. A local Sate Rep (a liberal Democrat!) spearheaded a local fundraising drive and the money for the new jackets was raised easily.

Old 01-21-2019, 08:14 AM

3,777 posts, read 3,397,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cebuan View Post
More injected heroin overdoses than accidental gun deaths. But nobody is calling for mandatory training in the use of needles to self inject drugs.

Give it a couple of years. We'll get there.

Old 01-21-2019, 11:11 AM

7,577 posts, read 5,602,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtab4994 View Post
I think it's fine, but it's also sad that hunting and firearm safety which used to be taught by father figures (and supplemented by the Boy Scouts in many cases) is now taught by a government agency.
I think its worth chiming in that plenty of times, even the most devoted fathers can make garbage teachers or set bad examples there, from what I've seen. And, oftentimes a disinterested 3rd Party will have less eye rolling.

Iowa has a huge participation in Trap Shooting among High Schoolers; 4200 participants. And, its a good sport that doesn't have a bench, that can be enjoyed into adulthood, etc...

Old 01-21-2019, 11:54 AM

8,719 posts, read 8,889,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McDonald View Post
Millions of innocent birds, animals and people are slaughtered every year with firearms. This barbaric and archaic practice has no place in a modern, civilized society. Resources from public education should not be misappropriated to facilitate the recruitment and training of more young people to join this bloodthirsty fraternity. If it's going to be done, its perpetrators should have to provide private facilities and funding for it. And make no mistake about it, the purpose of guns is to kill. Training to be skilled at target shooting, is no more than learning to make symbolic kills.

And I should say that I was raised to be a hunter and did it with enthusiasm, beginning in grade school, in farming territory. And I became a soldier, proficient with weapons. But when I reached my mid-twenties, I had finally matured enough to realize what I was doing and stopped. But I will never solve the mystery of how I and others could do such things without conscience or self-awareness.
I guess the analogy I would draw here is this: If we teach children about their bodies and give them education about sex and reproduction some argue that this encourages premarital sex.

I don't agree with that analogy. I believe that knowledge is good and the more knowledge that people have about anything, the more empowered people are to make good choices.

In Utah where I live, its very likely young people are going to be exposed to firearms at some point. I would prefer they receive proper education in the safe handling of firearms. Simple rules like: 1. Treat every gun as though it was loaded; 2. Always point the muzzle in a safe direction; and 3. Be sure of your target would go a long ways towards preventing serious and fatal accidents with firearms.

I disagree strongly with the NRA's agenda. I support some gun control such as banning assault weapons. Yet, I also am smart enough to know that nothing I say is going to change the fact that firearms are a part of our local culture.

Maybe it will take a small amount of money from public education. We take money from public education here to support driver's training and I think its a valuable use of money. The same thing is true at least in some parts of this country for guns.

Old 01-21-2019, 12:12 PM

8,325 posts, read 8,302,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtab4994 View Post
I think it's fine, but it's also sad that hunting and firearm safety which used to be taught by father figures (and supplemented by the Boy Scouts in many cases) is now taught by a government agency.
Well I took hunter safety in '72 at school so not sure where you get the idea it wasn't taught there. Competitive shooting (Trap) happens to be a growing sport in many parts of the country....
Sorry if someone already mentioned this...

Old 01-21-2019, 03:39 PM

10,826 posts, read 7,900,529 times
Hunting game provides food and controls game population. Both necessary.
Might as well learn the laws, safe firearm handling and proper care of the firearm.

Old 01-21-2019, 04:06 PM

33,081 posts, read 40,519,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
Might as well learn the laws, safe firearm handling and proper care of the firearm.
The second of which, without hunters buying licenses, would be paid for out of general tax revenues.

The above is something that anti-hunters either don't know or intentionally ignore, that the vast majority of conservation funding comes from fees, special taxes and license payments that hunters, and to a lesser extent people who fish, pay. The Pittman-Robertson tax on firearms is lockboxed to the states for hunter education and wildlife management (which includes property acquisition). It can't be used for anything else.

So many, if not most, of these state owned natural areas non-hunters use (and occasionally complain that hunters use them) are paid for 100% by hunters by are open to everyone.

So the lady who comes out to give her barking, hyperactive lap rats exercise that run through my decoys and scare off circling geese not only gets to come onto the natural wildlife management area without hindrance she also gets to yell "Murderer" at me at the top of her lungs.

Old 01-21-2019, 07:08 PM

3,186 posts, read 1,167,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
First, very few,, if any, hunters bag enough game food value to offset their cost of equipping and outfitting themselves for the hunt. Second, game population is being very nicely, controlled to the point of extirpation, by habitat destruction and environmental pollution.When I was a kid, the Canada goose limit in my state was two per day. Now it is one per season for those lucky enough to get a lottery draw. Tell me more about "necessary" controlling populations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or