U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2019, 07:18 PM

33,161 posts, read 40,602,767 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cebuan View Post
First, very few,, if any, hunters bag enough game food value to offset their cost of equipping and outfitting themselves for the hunt. Second, game population is being very nicely, controlled to the point of extirpation, by habitat destruction and environmental pollution.When I was a kid, the Canada goose limit in my state was two per day. Now it is one per season for those lucky enough to get a lottery draw. Tell me more about "necessary" controlling populations.
You clearly have no idea about wildlife control and populations in the US.

What state has a one bird per year limit on Canada geese with a lottery draw?

The Atlantic Flyway was closed to goose hunting about twenty years ago for four or five years to allow the population to rebound from a combination of successive poor nesting recruitment and over hunting, primarily on Maryland's Eastern Shore. The other three US flyways remained open.

The season is slated to have a reduction in number of days and bag limit, down to one per day from two, due to a poor nesting year in 2018.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2019, 07:20 PM

3,260 posts, read 1,187,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
Hunting game provides food and controls game population. Both necessary.
Might as well learn the laws, safe firearm handling and proper care of the firearm.
First, very few,, if any, hunters bag enough game food value to offset their cost of equipping and outfitting themselves for the hunt. Second, game population is being very nicely, controlled to the point of extirpation, by habitat destruction and environmental pollution.When I was a kid, the Canada goose limit in my state was two per day. Now it is one per season for those lucky enough to get a lottery draw for a tag. Tell me more about "necessary" controlling populations, and the "necessary" food value of one annual goose..

Old 01-21-2019, 07:25 PM

Quote:
First, very few,, if any, hunters bag enough game food value to offset their cost of equipping and outfitting themselves for the hunt. Second, game population is being very nicely, controlled to the point of extirpation, by habitat destruction and environmental pollution.When I was a kid, the Canada goose limit in my state was two per day. Now it is one per season for those lucky enough to get a lottery draw for a tag. Tell me more about "necessary" controlling populations.
I'll ask again, what state has a bag limit of one goose per season with a lottery draw?

Old 01-21-2019, 11:29 PM

3,260 posts, read 1,187,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
I'll ask again, what state has a bag limit of one goose per season with a lottery draw?
The state I referred to was Wisconsin, going from memory, maybe 20 years ago. I'm prepared to stand corrected,as a few species have become menacingly overpopulated. I didn't hear you ask the first time.

Old 01-22-2019, 04:50 AM

Quote:
The state I referred to was Wisconsin, going from memory, maybe 20 years ago. I'm prepared to stand corrected,as a few species have become menacingly overpopulated. I didn't hear you ask the first time.
Wisconsin currently has a bag limit of 3 geese/day over a 15 day September season and a 92 day regular season.

https://www.jsonline.com/story/sport...mit/508131002/

Old 01-22-2019, 07:45 AM

10,864 posts, read 7,924,344 times
Quote:
First, very few,, if any, hunters bag enough game food value to offset their cost of equipping and outfitting themselves for the hunt. Second, game population is being very nicely, controlled to the point of extirpation, by habitat destruction and environmental pollution.When I was a kid, the Canada goose limit in my state was two per day. Now it is one per season for those lucky enough to get a lottery draw for a tag. Tell me more about "necessary" controlling populations, and the "necessary" food value of one annual goose..
Necessary food value? The word value is yours. Hunters don't go out and "outfit themselves" like girls at the mall. If you want to go that route, why not compare that 32cents/lb turkey to the cost of raising and processing. I'm sure our farmers would love to get in on this discussion.

Good hunters respect the wild. They love, understand and appreciate it. For all you hunters out there, thanks. I love venison. Any cut.

Old 01-25-2019, 03:03 AM

8,732 posts, read 7,714,528 times
A TRUE STORY

I was raised on a large western ranch. It started just a short miles from town. Some man and his family moved from the big city to our town for a job, Some of his co-workers invited him to go out in the mountains, for opening of deer season. They all separated, and started their hunt. Soon they started hearing gun shots from where the new man was hunting. They all went to see what he had killed. He told them he had not seen a deer, but had made several sound shots,but had not killed a deer. They sent him down a gulch, and when he was out of sight, got into the power wagon, and a few miles away to hunt. They went home that evening without him. Three days later he was rescued by a game warden, who when he found out what happened, told him he did not deserve to be rescued. The warden finally got through to him how dangerous what he was doing, and asked him how would he have felt in shooting at sounds had killed one of the hunting group. The warden gave him a citation requiring a gun safety hunting course, and held the man's rifle till he completed the course.

I heard about it from a couple of those hunters, and from the warden who was a close friend of my father.

Old 01-25-2019, 08:44 AM

3,009 posts, read 4,480,029 times
Quote:
On the fly way over eastern South Dakota there are no worries about the geese population. Canada geese are everywhere and snow geese (otherwise known as sky carp) populations are so huge that there essentially isn't a limit any more on how many a hunter can shoot.

This is a state where most young people, other than many of those in the major city of Sioux Falls, have all been introduced to guns for hunting by there parents or there friends. Safety courses are offered everywhere, but not through the schools. I like this and don't think it should be mandatory. Yet, I believe that the state should make a very big push to make sure these courses are available to all. Providing these courses cost next to nothing since you could find volunteers everywhere to help run the programs under the tutelage of the Game, Fish, & Parks Dept.

Old 01-25-2019, 04:11 PM

4,633 posts, read 2,164,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tangelag View Post
I wish archery was still taught. I enjoyed it in school. Maybe in some districts it still is???
Wow! The day after I wrote this post I got my Sunday paper with a special edition insert from our Fish & Wildlife Department and one article was on Archery in some schools in the state. But most exciting was that the program is available to all schools and this includes everything necessary to start up the program, targets, bows, arrows...all equipment PLUS training. I have already gotten the info to my Principal as well as a very interested teacher charged with extra- curricular offerings (They are in a bind coming up with offerings right now.) at a feeder middle school to my High School. My principal was an archer in school and is very excited.

Iím just stricken by the Serendipity...

Old 01-25-2019, 04:59 PM

3,009 posts, read 4,480,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tangelag View Post
Wow! The day after I wrote this post I got my Sunday paper with a special edition insert from our Fish & Wildlife Department and one article was on Archery in some schools in the state. But most exciting was that the program is available to all schools and this includes everything necessary to start up the program, targets, bows, arrows...all equipment PLUS training. I have already gotten the info to my Principal as well as a very interested teacher charged with extra- curricular offerings (They are in a bind coming up with offerings right now.) at a feeder middle school to my High School. My principal was an archer in school and is very excited.

Iím just stricken by the Serendipity...

I'm with you on this. We had it taught as a segment of our PE classes while in Middle School. I forgot how fun that was. Heck, I'd like to try it again after all these many decades.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or