U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 09:38 AM

19,034 posts, read 15,777,118 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanArt View Post
Everybody in every state should have this enforcement on them. Including drivers education, horseback riding, swimming, and shop. The problem is the lazy factor of people.

Are you saying you think all schools should be required to have horseback riding and swimming??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
I remember taking a 20 gauge to 6th grade on the bus..
we were showing off our hunting guns..

I think this is awesome.......I also like archery

maine has the highest gun rate per capita and lowest crime rate

lots of hunters - I was taught to respect guns and how to handle...never about a weapon on a person..

It seems you're trying to equate more guns with less crime. In fact the common denominator to the top safest states (all in New England) is higher than average income and higher than average educational attainment. Less poverty and more educated people = less crime. Sparsely populated states also lead to less crime, and it only makes sense where people are packed together like sardines there's going to be more violence.

I am not anti-gun, I have no problem with gun ownership. I only object to false equivalencies.

Old Yesterday, 11:05 AM

15,636 posts, read 17,398,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
It seems you're trying to equate more guns with less crime. In fact the common denominator to the top safest states (all in New England) is higher than average income and higher than average educational attainment. Less poverty and more educated people = less crime. Sparsely populated states also lead to less crime, and it only makes sense where people are packed together like sardines there's going to be more violence.

I am not anti-gun, I have no problem with gun ownership. I only object to false equivalencies.
Well, since the NRA managed to block any research on gun violence, it is difficult to get real data.

https://www.ucsusa.org/suppressing-r...s-gun-violence

There are some studies in private universities. This is older research though.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/a...vidence-shows/

Quote:
Most of this research—and there have been several dozen peer-reviewed studies—punctures the idea that guns stop violence. In a 2015 study using data from the FBI and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, for example, researchers at Boston Children's Hospital and Harvard University reported that firearm assaults were 6.8 times more common in the states with the most guns versus those with the least. Also in 2015 a combined analysis of 15 different studies found that people who had access to firearms at home were nearly twice as likely to be murdered as people who did not.
https://www.vox.com/policy-and-polit...nd-charts-maps

Then there is this study that shows that states with stricter laws tend to have more shooting where the gun came from outside that state.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/release...0423125117.htm

Quote:
But guns used in states with stricter gun laws typically flow from states with weaker laws, according to a new study from Boston University School of Public Health (BUSPH) researchers.

The study, published in the Journal of Urban Health, found the majority of crime guns used in Illinois, Massachusetts, and New Jersey come from other states, while several other states see nearly all of their crime guns purchased in-state. The researchers also found that wait periods, permit requirements, bans on guns for people with histories of a violent misdemeanor, and relinquishment of guns by people convicted of a violent misdemeanor could together decrease a state's in-state crime guns by 13.7 percent.

"This study shows that strong firearm laws are effective in reducing access to guns for potential use in crimes in a state," says study co-author Michael Siegel, professor of community health sciences at BUSPH. "It may be that higher rates of gun violence in some states with strong firearm laws may be not because they have strong laws, but because their neighboring states have weak laws."

Old Yesterday, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
Well, since the NRA managed to block any research on gun violence, it is difficult to get real data.

https://www.ucsusa.org/suppressing-r...s-gun-violence

There are some studies in private universities. This is older research though.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/a...vidence-shows/

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-polit...nd-charts-maps

Then there is this study that shows that states with stricter laws tend to have more shooting where the gun came from outside that state.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/release...0423125117.htm

I really don't want to start a debate on guns, my point is that there are myriad factors that go into crime rates and areas with lower vs higher crime rates. I don't think it's right to just pick one of those factors that appeals to you and makes an argument for you, and try to attribute the low crime rate to just that one without mentioning the other factors low crime states share.

Old Yesterday, 11:31 AM

33,824 posts, read 31,144,053 times
All schools should offer it. There would probably be a lot fewer accidents related to gun handling.

Old Yesterday, 05:20 PM

2,295 posts, read 542,419 times
Quote:
Are you saying you think all schools should be required to have horseback riding and swimming??
Not sure about horseback riding but everyone should learn how to swim, especially those who live near large bodies of water. You never know when you may find yourself needing to swim because you or someone else fell in.

Old Yesterday, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maccabee 2A View Post
Not sure about horseback riding but everyone should learn how to swim, especially those who live near large bodies of water. You never know when you may find yourself needing to swim because you or someone else fell in.

Who is going to pay for swimming pools at every school??? In inner cities they don't even have current books, they have desks that are falling apart, but they are supposed to get a pool?

I think swimming is important too, but I don't think schools are equipped to do this. Besides, if they have room in the schedule to bring swimming in, they need to use that slot to bring back Civics first. I was appalled when I first learned most schools don't teach it anymore, I can't believe it's not required for every American.

Old Yesterday, 07:03 PM

33,375 posts, read 40,841,205 times
Quote:
Who is going to pay for swimming pools at every school??? In inner cities they don't even have current books, they have desks that are falling apart, but they are supposed to get a pool?

I think swimming is important too, but I don't think schools are equipped to do this. Besides, if they have room in the schedule to bring swimming in, they need to use that slot to bring back Civics first. I was appalled when I first learned most schools don't teach it anymore, I can't believe it's not required for every American.
Where are you getting that Civics isn't a class? The name isn't Civics any longer, maybe. In Maryland it's Local, State and National Government, LSN for short. It's one of the four classes, along with Algebra/Data Analysis, English 10 and Biology, that are subject to successful completion of a standardized exit exam (in Maryland they're called High School Assessments).

Having a government class is required for accreditation by the various regional accrediting organizations.

Old Yesterday, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Where are you getting that Civics isn't a class? The name isn't Civics any longer, maybe. In Maryland it's Local, State and National Government, LSN for short. It's one of the four classes, along with Algebra/Data Analysis, English 10 and Biology, that are subject to successful completion of a standardized exit exam (in Maryland they're called High School Assessments).

Having a government class is required for accreditation by the various regional accrediting organizations.
I don’t think that’s the case everywhere. I have heard it from multiple sources over the past decade. I didn’t believe it when I first heard it either. Here is one link that is a report on the state of civics education in this country’s schools:
https://www.aft.org/ae/summer2018/shapiro_brown

“Only nine states and the District of Columbia require one year of U.S. government or civics”

Some are pushing for a graduation requirement that the student has to pass the U.s. Citizenship test in order to graduate. I think it would bode well for the future if that were passed, IMO.

Old Today, 03:17 AM

33,375 posts, read 40,841,205 times
Quote:
I don’t think that’s the case everywhere. I have heard it from multiple sources over the past decade. I didn’t believe it when I first heard it either. Here is one link that is a report on the state of civics education in this country’s schools:
https://www.aft.org/ae/summer2018/shapiro_brown

“Only nine states and the District of Columbia require one year of U.S. government or civics”

Some are pushing for a graduation requirement that the student has to pass the U.s. Citizenship test in order to graduate. I think it would bode well for the future if that were passed, IMO.
You misrepresented the report. In actuality 39 states require Civics for graduation, nine a full year and thirty a half year. Traditionally the class was only a half year class. In my former system we paired it with Geography until the mid 1990s when it became full year and stand alone Geography was eliminated, which is a different discussion.

The main complaint of the writer in your link seems to be that states aren't doing enough to turn students into political activists or require mandatory volunteerism (which was a complete and total joke in my system).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or