U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2019, 06:54 PM

7,854 posts, read 3,096,840 times

Advertisements

Unless the student has a disability, they're not allowed to use a calculator on the STAAR test.

These are harder than I thought they would be. The STAAR is an assessment that is used to decide if a student can progress to the next grade, although if they fail, teachers can intervene and promote the student if they feel he/she is ready.

Or, frankly, almost all of them are promoted if they will attend a summer school session, whether they succeed at that or not.

BUT STILL. This is the level of ability that is expected of an 8th grader in Texas. With no calculator.

https://www.cbs19.tv/article/news/ed.../501-536689475
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2019, 07:16 PM

4,893 posts, read 1,614,359 times
These are largely kitchen math questions, relying on an ability to do four-function math with a few decimals. The graphing ones are fairly simple as well, assuming basic geometry has been taught.

All require careful reading to make the correct approach and calculate the right answer. That's the hard part.

Old 01-17-2019, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
These are largely kitchen math questions, relying on an ability to do four-function math with a few decimals. The graphing ones are fairly simple as well, assuming basic geometry has been taught.

All require careful reading to make the correct approach and calculate the right answer. That's the hard part.
In my opinion, the hardest part is doing the calculations by hand.

That's very time consuming.

As much as people rail and complain about education, honestly, I don't think when I was in 8th grade we had to pass a test with this type questions to be promoted to the next grade.

I can do them, and come up with the right answer, but these questions are harder than I expected the 8th grade STAAR to be.

Old 01-17-2019, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
In my opinion, the hardest part is doing the calculations by hand.
If you can't do math by hand, you have no business using a calculator. Especially for students, it's a tool, not a crutch. Once into levels of math where the simple calculations are not the part being learned, it's a different matter.

Old 01-17-2019, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
If you can't do math by hand, you have no business using a calculator. Especially for students, it's a tool, not a crutch. Once into levels of math where the simple calculations are not the part being learned, it's a different matter.
I don't know how to respond to you, except to say these are more difficult questions for an 8th grade exam than I think most people realize are expected of 8th grade students.

Considering the constant whining about the education system. These questions seem quite difficult.

Old 01-17-2019, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
I don't know how to respond to you, except to say these are more difficult questions for an 8th grade exam than I think most people realize are expected of 8th grade students.

Considering the constant whining about the education system. These questions seem quite difficult.
I don't think they are. They are certainly not simple, but they are not killer-hard, either. It really is all in the approach; it's easy to pick the wrong method to solve them, do some perfectly valid calculations, and end up with a completely wrong answer to the question.

By 8th grade, students are well past proving they can do the mathematical operations and expected to be learning how to apply math to actual problems. These questions are pretty good examples of that, and need understanding of the logic and context to apply the (relatively straightforward) math tools.

Old 01-18-2019, 07:44 AM

4,000 posts, read 1,743,985 times
The questions seem about the right difficulty to me.

Old 01-18-2019, 11:43 AM

943 posts, read 591,034 times
Totally normal questions for the grade.. The reading section isn’t that difficult either. I don’t see a problem.

Old 01-18-2019, 12:29 PM

2,574 posts, read 3,139,337 times
Someone cherry picked the most difficult questions on the test. Someone go cherry pick the easiest ones for us and you will get a laugh. My point is that an average student should be able to easily answer enough questions to pass the test. Anyway, they teach math at a more accelerated level now than when I was in school and I could have answered these questions in the 8th grade.

Old 01-18-2019, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dijkstra View Post
Someone cherry picked the most difficult questions on the test. Someone go cherry pick the easiest ones for us and you will get a laugh. My point is that an average student should be able to easily answer enough questions to pass the test. Anyway, they teach math at a more accelerated level now than when I was in school and I could have answered these questions in the 8th grade.
I completely agree.

I've seen the 6th grade STAAR, and it's nowhere in the ball park of this difficult.

I don't know what the experience of the other posters in this thread have with testing in Middle School , but this is surprisingly difficult.

I doubt, even with a calculator, the majority of high school graduates could come up with the correct answers to most of the math questions listed here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or