U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2019, 02:51 PM

6,295 posts, read 3,541,318 times

Advertisements

OP, are you asking if the teaching methods have improved or if more people are learning foreign languages? I have no information regarding either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2019, 03:05 PM

8,468 posts, read 7,774,508 times
If you want a professional job in Miami, in particular banking, you must be fluent in English and Spanish and Portuguese is a plus.

There are parts of Miami where not being fluent in Spanish will keep you from getting a job. Try hitting the DMV in Hialeah.

Old 01-23-2019, 03:49 PM

473 posts, read 154,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harpaint View Post
I was responding to the person who said learning Spanish should be required for HS graduation in the US. I feel speaking English is more important than speaking Spanish. Do you disagree or what?
It called being well-rounded and ready to compete in the global marketplace. It doesn't matter who does or who doesn't speak what in the United States.

In the Western hemisphere Spanish is the 2nd most spoken language, so yes I think everyone on the American continent should speak both English and Spanish, maybe even Portuguese as well.

Old 01-23-2019, 04:06 PM

6,295 posts, read 3,541,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by River City Rocky View Post
It called being well-rounded and ready to compete in the global marketplace. It doesn't matter who does or who doesn't speak what in the United States.

In the Western hemisphere Spanish is the 2nd most spoken language, so yes I think everyone on the American continent should speak both English and Spanish, maybe even Portuguese as well.

Interesting. I wonder when the day will come that everyone on Latin America and Canada speak English and Spanish, since they together make up most of the Western hemisphere. As far as competing in the global marketplace, it seems to me that an improvement in out science education would get us further, but that's for another thread.

Old 01-23-2019, 04:09 PM

2,352 posts, read 3,004,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
French and German are essentially useless languages unless the intent is to live or work in those countries or study their literature and culture to a high level.

No student in the US should be allowed to graduate without basic competence in Spanish.

International business languages should be offered by middle school.

but Germany is the largest economy in Europe. France not far behind.

and certainly French is a great language in many parts of western Africa, Ivory Coast, Benin, Togo, Morroco, Algeria, Tunisia.

Canada.

why should US kids need to have basic Spanish? English is the number one language of the world. Sure it could come in handy but not everyone's goal is the same.

You seem to contradict yourself saying French and German are essentially useless but also say international business language should be taught by middle school.

Is Spanish the only international business language?

Old 01-23-2019, 05:07 PM

75,082 posts, read 66,772,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
Sometimes I wonder what American kids do in school. Math and foreign language are the most challenging subjects in school, but American kids skip both more or less.
They can't skip math, if they want to go to university. A certain amount of algebra and advanced math is required for university admission. Foreign language is required for admission to many universities, too. I wouldn't call foreign language "challenging", but maybe that's just me. I'd say math and lab sciences are the most challenging.

Old 01-23-2019, 05:08 PM

1,495 posts, read 601,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citizensadvocate View Post
Though as you mentioned USA kids, I would like to ask is it the same thing about kids in Canada including those who live in or around Toronto and Vancouver metro areas where there are alot of neighborhoods and enclaves that have large amounts of foreign languages spoken at home or used in business? I know that Vancouver, Burnaby, and Richmond BC has a lot of Asian and Chinese businesses.
Why would Canadian kids be any different? It's the same there. Humans are humans. If you are born and raised in either Canada or USA, YOU WILL SPEAK ENGLISH. Especially if you have siblings also born and raised in Canada/USA, you will speak even more English and even less Chinese. You will speak to your siblings way more than your parents.

The only way ABCs and CBCs know Chinese is if they NEED TO USE IT. For example, by having a very close relationship with your immigrant parents and speaking to them ALL THE TIME, watching Chinese TV shows growing up, or going to Chinese school and then actually using it regularly so you won't forget what you learned. Or working at your immigrant parents' business that has a lot of Chinese-speaking customers. In other words, YOU NEED TO BE FORCED TO USE IT.

Old 01-23-2019, 05:28 PM

2,220 posts, read 523,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citizensadvocate View Post
I heard that more and more schools are offering foreign language education in elementary school nowadays. And in the form of fun rather than memorizations and tests. Particularly in areas where there is a significant number of people speaking a language other than English. I know that in parts of California, Arizona, New Mexico, Texas, Louisiana, Florida, and the North East there are plenty of neighborhoods like that.

I hear this is a vast improvement compared to the past where foreign language education was offered in some Middle Schools but is only a two year requirement in high school and its mostly about memorization of words and tests and not good for holding a conservation.

Anyone has experience they can share?
There's a reason so many people know English as a second language. They want something from Americans. Their money.

Old 01-23-2019, 05:49 PM

473 posts, read 154,107 times
Quote:
Interesting. I wonder when the day will come that everyone on Latin America and Canada speak English and Spanish, since they together make up most of the Western hemisphere. As far as competing in the global marketplace, it seems to me that an improvement in out science education would get us further, but that's for another thread.
I get what you're saying but why can't it be both? Why can't American children know multiple languages at the same time that they receive a science education. I'm sure many kids in other countries accomplish this.

Old 01-23-2019, 06:07 PM

1,171 posts, read 512,449 times
Quote:
OP, are you asking if the teaching methods have improved or if more people are learning foreign languages? I have no information regarding either.
Both

Teaching methods, availability, and percentage of students who can comprehend it. Compared to a two decades ago.

I know that in today’s globalized world. Foreign language education has been expanded greatly in most areas for Gen Z even compared to Gen Y or X.

And I heard that elementary school students are getting a head start whereas it wasn’t taught until middle school in the 80s and 90s.

Back then Even for immigrant families where parents use the language at home and grandparents only know the native language. It was a challenging task to keep kids proficient in their original language, it often require forcing them to give in their weekends for it. Yet the once a week or biweekly affair with their learning own language was more arduous than useful. I other words it means memorization for tests and not practicality.
Even though language learning highly depends on the individual, I notice for international groups like churchs the kids from the US seems to be at disadvantage when they visit foreign countries sometimes even their country of origin.

It’s interesting should the media be making fun of or concerned with lack of English proficiency of the Japanese in Japan while ignoring the bigger issue how many of Japanese descent in the US cannot comprehend Japanese.

Though if we cannot even keep students of Spanish origin Spanish skills in neighborhoods had are full of the Spanish language. If we could do that it would be a break through even if we are unable to successfully get other ethnicities including but not limited to Anglo Americans to learn a new language. It’s really helpful though for those who want to get involved in policing and criminal justice as well as government positions to know a commonly used language in the area.

Last edited by citizensadvocate; 01-23-2019 at 06:21 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or