U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2019, 07:39 PM

2,338 posts, read 566,486 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterRice View Post
No college here and I earn $35 an hour in airport operations, travel the world free, and have excellent insurance. I also own a house in South Florida and a nice car. When the new union contract comes out, Iíll be making even more, and I have not a single cent in debt to my name.

My brother has a four year degree and canít find more than temp work, so heís taking out even more money to get his Masterís. His choice.

College isnít needed for a good life.
Unions!
Paid for several houses and several cars.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2019, 07:52 PM

6,282 posts, read 3,366,682 times
The first thing to ask yourself is what do you want to do in life? That will tell you if college is required or not. If you picked electrical engineer (for example), then college is the way to go. On the other hand if you'd rather do hands on work as an electrician, then tech school is the choice. There is no one right answer because every person has different goals and different aptitudes. I believe most people would be better off if they followed their aptitudes and did what comes naturally to them than picking something because it will make the most money and hating every day of work.

Old 01-23-2019, 09:44 PM

10,293 posts, read 7,918,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carrienetro View Post
For the record, I am 24 and like most, I have thought about college but there are a number of concerns:

1. I don't like school as it is and never did well in high school and barely graduated as it is.
2. I have heard so many stories of people spending tens of thousands of dollars on a degree to either never use it or barely get anything.
3. I don't like the thought of having to spend so much money on it when, even with a lower paying jobI could be spending it on a lot more fun stuff instead. Imagine I did get a degree, but still got a job that may be better than minimum wage but it would be off set by having to spend a huge chunk of my paycheck for the next several years.
Whatever. Plan your life and career based on jobs and vocations that do not require a degree. You will still need additional education.

Old 01-24-2019, 12:01 AM

3,759 posts, read 3,513,578 times
If you don't like school and never did well in it, don't go to college, at least not now.

What do you do now for work? Is there anything that you think you might like better, that pays more? Was there anything that ever interested you, that people can earn a living at?

Old 01-24-2019, 01:23 AM

32 posts, read 11,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parentologist View Post
If you don't like school and never did well in it, don't go to college, at least not now.

What do you do now for work? Is there anything that you think you might like better, that pays more? Was there anything that ever interested you, that people can earn a living at?
I currently work as an overnight stocker at target, it pays better and I like how it's just easy work where you don't have to think too hard. I originally was a cashier but even that was very difficult for me so switched. Also, a bit off-topic, but I am female and though I am not really worried about getting a bf I get the impression most men today want a college educated career-focused woman.

Old 01-24-2019, 01:58 AM

26,342 posts, read 15,151,651 times
Quote:
For the record, I am 24 and like most, I have thought about college but there are a number of concerns:

1. I don't like school as it is and never did well in high school and barely graduated as it is.
2. I have heard so many stories of people spending tens of thousands of dollars on a degree to either never use it or barely get anything.
3. I don't like the thought of having to spend so much money on it when, even with a lower paying jobI could be spending it on a lot more fun stuff instead. Imagine I did get a degree, but still got a job that may be better than minimum wage but it would be off set by having to spend a huge chunk of my paycheck for the next several years.
Firstly, it is normal to have those un-sure thoughts about college. I honestly think with the way college is forced down our throats, it is doing a diservice to those that actually want to go to college.

I was burnt out on school by tenth grade. It was all BS to me at the time. I didn't like being there, it was toxic to me. That said, I loved college even if I didn't go into my major (business management (but for this I blamed the economic climate of what I graduated into)) and got my thirst to eventually be in education through going to school and having great professors and some bad ones (far fewer than most.)

All of your reasons are fully justifiable. The issue I see is you have a cap on earnings without a degree unless you go into business for yourself (even as a trade worker.) Eventually you'll top out with a few exceptions. Will you hit that with a sheepskin too, yes but it will be a bit higher and more doors even in the company you work for will be opened. Also for going into business for yourself, it might benefit you spending the thousands rather than learning in the school of hard knocks. I've done both and it made me who I am, but I'm not everyone.

Ultimately it is up to you. I'd suggest going part-time and doing one, maybe two classes and trying it for a semester or two at a community college. YES, I admit that they do have the people you hear about as being the typical prototype and stereotype of community college students, but they are a lower cost to enter and typically can work around your work schedule if you have a set schedule. If you don't want to do that, you don't have to.

Quote:
I currently work as an overnight stocker at target, it pays better and I like how it's just easy work where you don't have to think too hard. I originally was a cashier but even that was very difficult for me so switched. Also, a bit off-topic, but I am female and though I am not really worried about getting a bf I get the impression most men today want a college educated career-focused woman.
So you don't like mentally challenging work. Maybe college isn't for you then. College really does go over facts and asks for your opinion. In some courses (not math or science) there is more than one answer. What they ask for is to show work and support what you found. This is not for everyone.

As for your off-topic, I'm male and honestly I find that females want males with their "**** together" which means a degree, a career, not living with their parents, etc. For many millennials and zillennials, that simply isn't possible due to loans and career prospects out of college. I would like a college educated woman but I rather have a smart driven woman with love in her heart. I've dated two college educated women, one couldn't get a job and hold one if she got it and the other wanted me as an escape. I've dated a non-college educated woman and she is smart and career focused but she didn't really have love in her heart enough for me.

Old 01-24-2019, 03:30 AM

8,134 posts, read 2,594,759 times
Quote:

You could try going to a community college for a year and see how well you can do. In some areas, the cost of that is fairly low. You may be surprised on how much different and more academically-capable you are, seven years after high school. Your whole work-ethic regarding study and learning, may have improved.

Old 01-24-2019, 04:39 AM

650 posts, read 407,762 times
I read somewhere that if you graduated high school in the bottom 40% of your class that the odds of you graduating college is very low. I have a very short attention span and did not do well in school but I did wind up making out ok in life. I call the people who I went to high school with that were not college material like me "blue collar"

Some of the jobs they got into were the Electric and Gas utility's, working for the commuter rail lines, working for the local or county government which are Union and decent paying at least in my state New Jersey or Union Trades like electric or pipe fitting. I am assuming you are male as some of the jobs are male dominated and females most of the these jobs still apply or you can marry a man that does have a good career/job.

Old 01-24-2019, 05:36 AM

5,620 posts, read 1,541,412 times
Don't go to college unless your heart is in it, otherwise you'll end up dropping out with a bunch of student loan debt.

College is simply not for everything, only like 30% of Americans have a college degree.

Old 01-24-2019, 09:22 AM

136 posts, read 53,186 times
Quote:
I don't think college is for you since you stated previously you didn't like school and didn't do very well in high school. I wouldn't waste the money on a bachelors degree. I wouldn't even waste it on an associate's degree.
Yes, you need to go to a trade school of some sort and get a profession that's going to be in demand. Maybe, something in a medical field, like an Xray tech, occupational therapist or physical therapist. That will put you on a career path and can be helpful when you date. You won't be college educated or career focused, but you'll have a skill and a good job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or