U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2019, 01:44 PM

75,423 posts, read 67,251,776 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carrienetro View Post
For the record, I am 24 and like most, I have thought about college but there are a number of concerns:

1. I don't like school as it is and never did well in high school and barely graduated as it is.
2. I have heard so many stories of people spending tens of thousands of dollars on a degree to either never use it or barely get anything.
3. I don't like the thought of having to spend so much money on it when, even with a lower paying jobI could be spending it on a lot more fun stuff instead. Imagine I did get a degree, but still got a job that may be better than minimum wage but it would be off set by having to spend a huge chunk of my paycheck for the next several years.
It depends on what you're interested in. Do you know what field you enjoy? One function of college, is to expose people wo a wide variety of disciplines, so that they can find one that really resonates with them. I know people who got degrees in ethnomusicology. "Ethno-WHAT?" you may ask. Yeah, sounds obscure and hopeless, employment-wise, right? Well, one does music programming for Microsoft, at their offices in Bellevue. Another got jobs while in college, making sound tracks for a TV series. By the time he got his degree (he's had a long career that pays well, with only a BA), he parlayed that work and study experience into a career as a music producer, and has done very well. He also combines it with his interest in film, and produces documentaries for PBS.

I give those as examples of what can happen, even with interests in an obscure field, that most people would say could only lead to burger-flipping jobs. If those guys hadn't gone to college, they never would have discovered a field they loved. They'd be lost, wondering what they want to do with their lives.

It's what you make of it.

And to address your first point, I'll just say that there are "alternative" colleges, like alternative schools, that let you design your own program, and get credit by doing your own projects. There's less sitting in class involved, more creative work of your own choosing.

Good luck, OP. Maybe consider looking for schools that provide support in the form of work-study jobs, and other non-loan support. There's a college on the east coast somewhere, that has the students do all the groundskeeping on campus, and much of the kitchen cafeteria work, in exchange for tuition for four years. Think outside the box, and look around, to see what's available.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2019, 04:41 PM

136 posts, read 53,099 times
Quote:
Yeah, I graduated with a 1.4 GPA. I really don't want anything in the medical field, I couldn't do that. The only good thing I can say is that unlike most I can do the same repetitive tasks over and over and never get bored, and follow simple instructions. Honestly, I wouldn't have any problem doing those assembly type jobs in places like China you see assuming it didn't come with the crazy human rights abuses; but just the job in and of itself would be no problem.
The only thing you'll need to worry about is paying rent, utility bills and food.
What you are doing right now can't be permanent. It will not be enough to live on as you get older. It is a dead end job.

You also wouldn't want an assembly job like those in China. They pay next to nothing and people who work those jobs share an apartment with 20 other people. They basically rent a place to sleep and cook whatever foods they can make on a small portable stove. They send all they earn to their families in some rural area.

With the direction our economy is going and prices going up I wouldn't be getting too comfortable with the job you have currently.

Old 01-24-2019, 05:07 PM

2,336 posts, read 565,018 times
We weren't even allowed to graduate with a 1.4 GPA. Technically, per class, a "D" or 1.0 was passing, however, our cumulative, unweighted GPA had to be 2.0 by the end of our last semester to receive a diploma and walk across the stage.

I was a 2.9 unweighted. "Some college" (I don't put it on my resume) and I made $124k last year at 29 years old. I'd say I'm pretty content.

Old 01-24-2019, 06:33 PM

929 posts, read 476,679 times
Quote:
I currently work as an overnight stocker at target, it pays better and I like how it's just easy work where you don't have to think too hard. I originally was a cashier but even that was very difficult for me so switched. Also, a bit off-topic, but I am female and though I am not really worried about getting a bf I get the impression most men today want a college educated career-focused woman.
DO NOT go to college to find a man. You are not a 1950s debutante.

Old 01-24-2019, 06:56 PM

2,336 posts, read 565,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by history nerd View Post
DO NOT go to college to find a man. You are not a 1950s debutante.
Pretty sure that was high school in the 1950s, debutante was when the girl was still in her teens, not college age.

Old 01-24-2019, 07:13 PM

929 posts, read 454,278 times
Quote:
Yeah, I graduated with a 1.4 GPA. I really don't want anything in the medical field, I couldn't do that. The only good thing I can say is that unlike most I can do the same repetitive tasks over and over and never get bored, and follow simple instructions. Honestly, I wouldn't have any problem doing those assembly type jobs in places like China you see assuming it didn't come with the crazy human rights abuses; but just the job in and of itself would be no problem.
College isn't for you. You'll only get yourself into debt.

I see ads for truck drivers paying good money. There are assembly line jobs here in Indiana, but I don't think they pay as well.

Old 01-24-2019, 08:48 PM

1,377 posts, read 988,486 times
Heard of this:

https://www.udemy.com/

They just had a sale a couple of weeks ago. Courses normally $150 to $200 for $10 to $12.
I said what the hell and went for it.

https://www.udemy.com/the-complete-w...ment-bootcamp/

and

https://www.udemy.com/complete-python-bootcamp/

The funny thing is that the time you would have to spend to find out it is a crappy course must be worth more than that sale price.

BUT!

I am about 30% into the Python course and 10% into the Web Development course. The Web course has 40 hours of video. Both courses seem pretty good. Have to finish to see if they would be worth $200 but I have no complaints at $10. The time is a bigger deal than the money.

Check it regularly and try to catch the sales.

Old 01-24-2019, 09:48 PM

1,377 posts, read 988,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheerbliss View Post
College isn't for you. You'll only get yourself into debt.

I see ads for truck drivers paying good money. There are assembly line jobs here in Indiana, but I don't think they pay as well.

I wouldn't be surprised to see cross country truckers replaced by robots soon. Local trucks may take longer.

Old 01-25-2019, 02:02 AM

32 posts, read 10,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddm2k View Post
We weren't even allowed to graduate with a 1.4 GPA. Technically, per class, a "D" or 1.0 was passing, however, our cumulative, unweighted GPA had to be 2.0 by the end of our last semester to receive a diploma and walk across the stage.

I was a 2.9 unweighted. "Some college" (I don't put it on my resume) and I made $124k last year at 29 years old. I'd say I'm pretty content.
Well, I did. I was in a few special ed classes as well.

Old 01-25-2019, 02:04 AM

32 posts, read 10,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitty_nina1 View Post
The only thing you'll need to worry about is paying rent, utility bills and food.
What you are doing right now can't be permanent. It will not be enough to live on as you get older. It is a dead end job.

You also wouldn't want an assembly job like those in China. They pay next to nothing and people who work those jobs share an apartment with 20 other people. They basically rent a place to sleep and cook whatever foods they can make on a small portable stove. They send all they earn to their families in some rural area.

With the direction our economy is going and prices going up I wouldn't be getting too comfortable with the job you have currently.
As I said, I was just talking about the job in and of itself. Of course I wouldn't like any of the other stuff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or