U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2019, 08:03 AM

15,937 posts, read 19,046,194 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carrienetro View Post
For the record, I am 24 and like most, I have thought about college but there are a number of concerns:

1. I don't like school as it is and never did well in high school and barely graduated as it is.
2. I have heard so many stories of people spending tens of thousands of dollars on a degree to either never use it or barely get anything.
3. I don't like the thought of having to spend so much money on it when, even with a lower paying jobI could be spending it on a lot more fun stuff instead. Imagine I did get a degree, but still got a job that may be better than minimum wage but it would be off set by having to spend a huge chunk of my paycheck for the next several years.
Have you considered researching the certificate programs that often are available at your local college? You may be able to obtain a certificate in a field that interests you in just months. Go to the web page of your chosen college and look at continuing education or certificate areas in links or menu.

Also, research Tech colleges near you. There are several interesting programs that a person could do within a 2 year program....or less in some fields.

Often you can go to your local job service and do a career choices course or testing to see where your aptitude and interest are.

Do not let anyone make you feel forced into a typical degree college. That is the great thing about todays world....we do not all have to fit into the same box. Explore your options thoroughly and make the most informed decision that you can.....after all it is your money and your time. Spend it wisely for your best future.

There are several aptitude and career tests offered online, too many for me to list, so I just listed a couple examples. Research them using the words "career test" "aptitude" "career strengths"and choose your preference. Again, they should also be available free locally at your job service.

Don't overlook on the job training situations....as well as apprenticeships that may be available. Apprentice programs for your local area can be found listed on your Dept. of Labor website for your State. Basically I'm suggesting that you may have many options available including but not limited to school. Be proactive about researching and finding your opportunities.

And, do not overlook simply going into a business that interest you and asking about possible on the job training. Many business owners look for self-starter type employees who are focused and dependable.

Good luck

DOL:
https://department-of-labor.itsmycar...30VBG&src=bing

Career interest link examples:
http://www.career-tests-guide.com/ca...est-tests.html
http://www.careerkey.org/professiona...inventory.html
https://www.truity.com/test/holland-code-career-test

Last edited by JanND; 01-25-2019 at 08:12 AM.. Reason: added text
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2019, 09:44 AM

10,994 posts, read 6,198,828 times
Quote:
As I said, I was just talking about the job in and of itself. Of course I wouldn't like any of the other stuff.
I'm afraid you missed out on those good paying factory jobs, wrong generation. Still you can seek out union and government jobs.

Old 01-25-2019, 09:47 AM

10,284 posts, read 7,909,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
I'm afraid you missed out on those good paying factory jobs, wrong generation. Still you can seek out union and government jobs.
Wow. I'm reading this post as someone advocating for setting a low bar for ones life.

Old 01-25-2019, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
Wow. I'm reading this post as someone advocating for setting a low bar for ones life.

How so?

Old 01-25-2019, 10:18 AM

10,284 posts, read 7,909,178 times
Quote:
How so?
Why the suggestions of union or government work? There are a ton of industries, private and/or non union that have jobs for folks without a degree.

Old 01-25-2019, 10:51 AM

5,431 posts, read 4,170,235 times
Quote:
For the record, I am 24 and like most, I have thought about college but there are a number of concerns:

1. I don't like school as it is and never did well in high school and barely graduated as it is.
2. I have heard so many stories of people spending tens of thousands of dollars on a degree to either never use it or barely get anything.
3. I don't like the thought of having to spend so much money on it when, even with a lower paying jobI could be spending it on a lot more fun stuff instead. Imagine I did get a degree, but still got a job that may be better than minimum wage but it would be off set by having to spend a huge chunk of my paycheck for the next several years.
I hear you that you donít like school/college and I agree thatís not for everyone. However I donít see you as having a plan to succeed financially, like alternatively going into the armed service, getting a trade or civil service job.
You have the ability now to buss tables and or other manual labor but itís really going to suck when your 65 and then retiring, (thatís if you can) and collecting a meager social security check.

Old 01-25-2019, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
Why the suggestions of union or government work? There are a ton of industries, private and/or non union that have jobs for folks without a degree.
It is a suggestion, as others have made, not sure how it is a low bar to for a non college grad to work a high paid union job with security and good benefits.

Old 01-25-2019, 12:27 PM

2,336 posts, read 563,312 times
Quote:
It is a suggestion, as others have made, not sure how it is a low bar to for a non college grad to work a high paid union job with security and good benefits.
Unions rarely require previous experience or a degree for their entry level positions unless you're a pilot.

Old 01-25-2019, 12:51 PM

75,423 posts, read 67,223,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddm2k View Post
We weren't even allowed to graduate with a 1.4 GPA. Technically, per class, a "D" or 1.0 was passing, however, our cumulative, unweighted GPA had to be 2.0 by the end of our last semester to receive a diploma and walk across the stage.

I was a 2.9 unweighted. "Some college" (I don't put it on my resume) and I made $124k last year at 29 years old. I'd say I'm pretty content.
Great story! It might be helpful to the OP, if you could share what field you got into, and how you got your start in it. Congratulations!

Old 01-25-2019, 01:01 PM

2,336 posts, read 563,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Great story! It might be helpful to the OP, if you could share what field you got into, and how you got your start in it. Congratulations!
2010 - tech support for a VoIP phone company, $11/hr
2011 - supervisor for aforementioned, $28k/yr
2012 - company change for network operations center at a reseller for local telephone company, $17/hr
2015 - company change for lineman at the actual local telephone company, $25/hr - $32/hr
2018 - position change for lead engineer calling upon my experience of the end-to-end knowledge of the phone system (backbone to central office to customer premises), $42/hr + overtime + 10% shift differential + 10% annual bonus
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or