U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2019, 05:06 PM

248 posts, read 100,059 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
Nice. How did you start your path to that career?

It helps others to understand that this kind of thing can be done, everyone now pushes college or you can't ever make it and it will be poverty and struggle forever. Yet, you seem to be doing quite well.
My elderly parents are wealthy [However-They have made it clear that I am to make my own life and success], and loved to travel; thus I spent a lot of time around the airline industry and became enamored with it. As soon as I graduated high school, which I detested with a passion, I began applying for airlines, and went through an interview with one where approx. 6,000 people were applying for 20 ops positions. I was fingerprinted the same day and given pre employment instructions I pretty much nailed the interview by going on and on about how much I love the airline industry!!

In the airline industry, in the airport ops category, airport operational experience is much more sought after than any degree or certification (Unless a government certification is needed-pilots and dispatchers, for example). Many senior managers at my company made it to their positions by operational experience, not by degrees though many still have degrees as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2019, 06:08 PM

16,451 posts, read 3,519,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carrienetro View Post
For the record, I am 24 and like most, I have thought about college but there are a number of concerns:

1. I don't like school as it is and never did well in high school and barely graduated as it is.
2. I have heard so many stories of people spending tens of thousands of dollars on a degree to either never use it or barely get anything.
3. I don't like the thought of having to spend so much money on it when, even with a lower paying jobI could be spending it on a lot more fun stuff instead. Imagine I did get a degree, but still got a job that may be better than minimum wage but it would be off set by having to spend a huge chunk of my paycheck for the next several years.
I just think you should only go to college to get a specific degree like a STEM degree or go to trade school.I went to college for a general degree and I really regret it.I have a dead end McJob so college didnt do anything for me.I wish i would of been as wise as you are when I was your age.I think its a mistake to say college for everyone or bust.

Old 01-25-2019, 07:25 PM

929 posts, read 452,835 times
I was talking to a coworker whose husband is the HR director at a large firm. He says the hardest jobs to fill are delivery drivers--despite high wages and sign-on bonuses. You need a CDL, and some of the trips are overnight.

College? The odds of someone in the bottom 40% of their class graduating in eight years is 3:1 against, or 25%. Someone who cannot work a cash register is not going to graduate with a STEM degree, sorry.

Here's the scoop on college from a former academic:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sMr2BxA_HVU

Old 01-26-2019, 01:49 AM

12,021 posts, read 17,518,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitty_nina1 View Post
I don't think college is for you since you stated previously you didn't like school and didn't do very well in high school. I wouldn't waste the money on a bachelors degree. I wouldn't even waste it on an associate's degree.
Yes, you need to go to a trade school of some sort and get a profession that's going to be in demand. Maybe, something in a medical field, like an Xray tech, occupational therapist or physical therapist. That will put you on a career path and can be helpful when you date. You won't be college educated or career focused, but you'll have a skill and a good job.
Well. Xray technologists requires an associate degree and prereqs before that. You are looking at 3 to 4 years of school, and at least 2 of those are full time.
And school is very demanding competative and not that easy as you might think.
Then some of us do another year or 2 and get our BA.

I guess my point is...I'm would not recommend anybody doing this who has no interest in going back to school.
Every year there are those students who think they can skate by and get an easy well paying career. Those students almost always fail.

Now..my husband on the other hand...lol. No college and double what I make working for the airline. And that is base pay, 40 hours a week, desk job. Its out there people

Last edited by glass_of_merlot; 01-26-2019 at 02:14 AM..

Old 01-26-2019, 02:35 AM

1,617 posts, read 685,129 times
Probably not.

Old 01-26-2019, 02:42 AM

1,617 posts, read 685,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psikeyhackr View Post
Heard of this:

https://www.udemy.com/

They just had a sale a couple of weeks ago. Courses normally $150 to $200 for $10 to $12.
I said what the hell and went for it.

https://www.udemy.com/the-complete-w...ment-bootcamp/

and

https://www.udemy.com/complete-python-bootcamp/

The funny thing is that the time you would have to spend to find out it is a crappy course must be worth more than that sale price.

BUT!

I am about 30% into the Python course and 10% into the Web Development course. The Web course has 40 hours of video. Both courses seem pretty good. Have to finish to see if they would be worth $200 but I have no complaints at $10. The time is a bigger deal than the money.

Check it regularly and try to catch the sales.
I don't think OP has the aptitude to learn to programme.

Theoretically, you can learn Python without any course(even online course). Just buy a book, try some example, search your questions on StackOverflow. But it can be overwhelming to total beginners.

Old 01-26-2019, 02:45 AM

13,458 posts, read 9,544,102 times
You go to college to get credentials, not to learn.
You can learn anything, any time, any place, but you won't get credentials.
If your vocation goal requires credentials, by all means, acquire them (attend college or alternate means).
If not, don't waste you time, money and effort.

Alternate credentials by examination : Regent's External Degree Program / Excelsior College
https://www.excelsior.edu/about

Remember, the need for credentials is to get HIRED. But a company owner does not need credentials to operate his business - only his employees.

Old 01-26-2019, 07:17 AM

15,937 posts, read 19,046,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddm2k View Post
2010 - tech support for a VoIP phone company, $11/hr
2011 - supervisor for aforementioned, $28k/yr
2012 - company change for network operations center at a reseller for local telephone company, $17/hr
2015 - company change for lineman at the actual local telephone company, $25/hr - $32/hr
2018 - position change for lead engineer calling upon my experience of the end-to-end knowledge of the phone system (backbone to central office to customer premises), $42/hr + overtime + 10% shift differential + 10% annual bonus
You climbed the ladder.....on the job training and experiential learning...….It can still be done in some fields....Yours is a very good description of how it can work "best case" scenario. Good for you.

OP.....I think at your age you have time to climb to a better position if you get into a field that interests and challenges you. Please review my earlier post and the links that may be helpful to you to decide your best choices for career.

Not everyone can, should or wants to go to college for all the reasons you've listed earlier.

Sit your mind to what area you want to land a job in.....take a start up position, be proactive in learning the skills that you need to move up in that field.....and plug along.

That's the old fashioned work ethic and it still is important because even degreed professionals have to do the work to keep their jobs.....Be the one employee willing to do more....look for opportunities to learn on the job....Hand in the air at every chance....it will be remembered in the right company.

Good luck....

Old 01-26-2019, 07:50 AM

6,213 posts, read 5,157,708 times
You say you work at Target. I would look into advancement opportunities that may be available.

Old 01-26-2019, 10:32 AM

3,302 posts, read 9,543,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carrienetro View Post
For the record, I am 24 and like most, I have thought about college but there are a number of concerns:

1. I don't like school as it is and never did well in high school and barely graduated as it is.
2. I have heard so many stories of people spending tens of thousands of dollars on a degree to either never use it or barely get anything.
3. I don't like the thought of having to spend so much money on it when, even with a lower paying jobI could be spending it on a lot more fun stuff instead. Imagine I did get a degree, but still got a job that may be better than minimum wage but it would be off set by having to spend a huge chunk of my paycheck for the next several years.
Have you considered the military? They provide good pay, benefits, a trade without formal college, and job skills.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or