U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2019, 04:27 PM

1,269 posts, read 345,040 times

Advertisements

If you don't think college is right for you I'd suggest to skip it. Most likely you will end up doing the same jobs that don't require a college degree but with student loan debt and wasted time. College and graduate school is one of the biggest scams of modern society - it works for some but leaves many with crippling debt and wasted time/energy. If you aren't really smart or are connected, listen to those doubts and ignore those telling you it's necessary. Don't gamble with your future by mortgaging it.
https://www.cnbc.com/2018/08/13/twen...o-default.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2019, 11:34 PM

2,171 posts, read 2,258,181 times
I hated school too.

It really depends what you want to do in life. Some jobs need a degree and some don't.

Being educated is different than just having a degree. You can self educate on anything between reading and internet research.

A college degree tells the world that you went through THE PROCESS and you fell in line which means a lot in some industries and worth paying for. The right schools can introduce you to your future mate or business partners !

Decisions you make now will AFFECT YOU forever. Be wise and trust your heart LISTEN to other people's opinions who you value.

Good Luck

Old 01-27-2019, 12:17 AM

7,715 posts, read 8,548,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
You have come to the right place. There are many people on here who will tell you to go to trade school.
Missed this earlier. Great post.

Old 01-27-2019, 12:58 AM

6,866 posts, read 10,010,129 times
The OP writes pretty well for someone who took special ed courses, but I do know people who were only in special ed courses for math. Still, I don't know if the OP is serious or not.

If the OP really does struggle with academics to the point of needing special education, then one year in community college, getting an associate's degree in an allied health program, testing for the military, and learning programming through MOOCs are probably not going to turn out well.

I strongly advise against going to cosmetology school unless you have skill and interest in this area. Many beauty schools are expensive for-profits that leave their students with debt and no jobs.

I like the suggestions for truck driving. There is also bus driving for schools, public transportation companies, and charter bus companies. Security guard work requires very little thinking. If you get lucky, you'll land a position that allows you to sit all night and listen to the radio.

Old 01-27-2019, 05:04 AM

1,003 posts, read 655,476 times
College is for the piece of paper that is your degree. If I had to hire someone with 3.5 years of college, vs. 4 years of college and a degree, I'd blindly hire the one with the degree.

Unless you're planning on going to graduate school, your grades don't matter.

Old 01-27-2019, 08:36 AM

930 posts, read 455,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApePeeD View Post

Unless you're planning on going to graduate school, your grades don't matter.
Your grades don't matter after you've gotten your first job. But some employers (including ones I've worked for) only hire graduates and interns above a certain GPA.

Old 01-27-2019, 08:48 AM

3,502 posts, read 1,943,138 times
OP-I would not recommend attempting to get a 4 year bachelor's degree.

In your position, you would be better served looking into certification and trade school options for occupations such as electrician, plumber, auto mechanic, etc. These are all good jobs, and jobs that can't be outsourced to Asia or Latin America.

Old 01-27-2019, 11:48 AM

955 posts, read 519,388 times
Find a job with a local Electrical, Plumber, HVAC company or even an Auto Mechanic. Go to the classes and every company in my area will pay for their employees to attend (it's not expensive, and even if you do go elsewhere the knowledge that employees gain is more than beneficial to the company training you). You'll get years of OJT instead of sitting in a classroom getting brainwashed by the Marxist doodleheads standing at the pulpit preaching instead of teaching.

Your wages working in a trade will do nothing but go upward, and rather quickly I might add. Sure you might start out at $12-15 an hour (beats working at Starbucks while you still drown in student loan debt!), but think of that as a trial period. You should be making at least $20/hr. in any of the trades by about your 3rd year and that's even in rural areas (much more for dense urban areas, and even more in unions).

Then, when you feel you have enough experience or whenever you can meet your state's minimum requirements to get a master tradesman's license you simply go out and start your own business and after that the sky is the limit.

Old 01-27-2019, 11:53 AM

75,450 posts, read 67,275,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
Flight attendants are trained after they are hired.

https://www.thebalancecareers.com/ho...tendant-525710

It depends a lot on the airline.
"Reserve status" makes no sense. How is someone supposed to support themselves, while having completely unpredictable assignments, without a guaranteed minimum of hours/month?

Old 01-27-2019, 11:55 AM

75,450 posts, read 67,275,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carrienetro View Post
I don't know, the only real thing I have thought of is a Flight Attendant, doesn't seem as if it requires much schooling.
You sound like you have no idea what your interests are, or where your talents and inclinations lie. You need to figure out what you're good at, and what type of work you enjoy, and then find a way to do that as a vocation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or