U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 09:41 AM

3 posts, read 108 times

Advertisements

For the record, I am 24 and like most, I have thought about college but there are a number of concerns:

1. I don't like school as it is and never did well in high school and barely graduated as it is.
2. I have heard so many stories of people spending tens of thousands of dollars on a degree to either never use it or barely get anything.
3. I don't like the thought of having to spend so much money on it when, even with a lower paying jobI could be spending it on a lot more fun stuff instead. Imagine I did get a degree, but still got a job that may be better than minimum wage but it would be off set by having to spend a huge chunk of my paycheck for the next several years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 09:48 AM

85,710 posts, read 100,292,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carrienetro View Post
For the record, I am 24 and like most, I have thought about college but there are a number of concerns:

1. I don't like school as it is and never did well in high school and barely graduated as it is.
2. I have heard so many stories of people spending tens of thousands of dollars on a degree to either never use it or barely get anything.
3. I don't like the thought of having to spend so much money on it when, even with a lower paying jobI could be spending it on a lot more fun stuff instead. Imagine I did get a degree, but still got a job that may be better than minimum wage but it would be off set by having to spend a huge chunk of my paycheck for the next several years.
You have come to the right place. There are many people on here who will tell you to go to trade school.

Old Yesterday, 10:11 AM

25,394 posts, read 60,789,740 times
Go do what you love. You can always got back to school later, although it will be harder to do so when you have more responsibilities.

One of my sons, went to college for engineering. After three years, he realized sitting at a desk crunching numbers made him extremely unhappy. He realized he was only happy when he was rowing, training for rowing, working with rowers. He became a rowing coach. He will never be rich, he has to ride a bicycle everywhere because he cannot afford to maintain a car, but he is managing to make the payments on his student loans and pay his rent. He is extremely happy. He has not been happy like that in at least five or six years. Financially well off and miserable (potentially suicidal) as an engineer, or poor but happy as a coach. Guess which career path I would advise him to pursue? Money does not make you happy. being broke does not make you sad.

Money does make things easier in life, but easier is not the same as happier.

Studies of various cultures and their relative happiness have shown people are happy from their relationships with other people, not from their financial success and the ability to live independently and apart from other people.

Old Yesterday, 11:12 AM

19,913 posts, read 9,406,017 times
One thought to the OP -- whatever choice you make on job types...are you willing to do that general type of work for the next 40 years?

Old Yesterday, 03:24 PM

246 posts, read 95,532 times
No college here and I earn $35 an hour in airport operations, travel the world free, and have excellent insurance. I also own a house in South Florida and a nice car. When the new union contract comes out, I’ll be making even more, and I have not a single cent in debt to my name.

My brother has a four year degree and can’t find more than temp work, so he’s taking out even more money to get his Master’s. His choice.

College isn’t needed for a good life.

Last edited by MisterRice; Yesterday at 04:33 PM..

Old Yesterday, 03:35 PM

1,026 posts, read 292,773 times
Well, doing anything other than lying on the sofa, reading a book, isn't really for me, but life doesn't allow that.

Look at it objectively:

* Is a degree necessary for the job that you want to have?
* If so, what degrees are the right price point for you, and what are their job placement rates?

If you need a degree for your job goals, and if degrees are offered that are cost-effective and have decent placement rates (meaning that they're reasonably likely to result in the type of job that you want), then go for it. Otherwise, don't.

However, these days, jobs that don't really "require" a college degree for the day-to-day work require one as a condition to getting hired, so not having a degree will, at some point, limit your advancement, if you aim for a senior management-level job.

Old Yesterday, 05:38 PM

911 posts, read 463,486 times
One of these two things should be true if you are going to college...

A) you like academics/learning/school
B) you have a specific job in mind that you want to do (and would actually enjoy) but requires a degree.

Old Yesterday, 07:12 PM

19,913 posts, read 9,406,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by history nerd View Post
One of these two things should be true if you are going to college...

A) you like academics/learning/school
B) you have a specific job in mind that you want to do (and would actually enjoy) but requires a degree.
I think that's a concise and clear way to decide the matter.

Some people need to get over the idea that educators want all students to go to college. I'm a former teacher and principal. I don't want half the people who responded in this thread to go to college...for the very reason that you give in point A. There are many people posting here who would do all the wrong things in college. They'd look for the courses with the easy A's, the professors who eschew hard work, and the least challenging selection of courses that will still get them the degree. People who not respect education are unworthy of true higher education.

Old Yesterday, 07:21 PM

2,063 posts, read 486,487 times
Work for AT&T as an installer, make $20+ an hour and get all the overtime you want.

Old Yesterday, 07:32 PM

1,615 posts, read 674,856 times
Most people going to college don't know why they are there other than to get a degree. Only a few are focused on career goals and only a portion of them actually know what that career entails, so many change their mind along the way, and/or are unable to do the course work required (eg. many a hopeful pre med student never made it through organic chemistry). When I first went to college I dropped out after a couple of months and went to work. I realized that I was working hard all day long while college graduates were spending time talking, taking breaks, and making a lot more money than I was. The following year I went back to college and got a BA in liberal Arts in 4 years. However I commuted from home to a state college and worked part time during the year and full time in the summer and had a few loans so that I didn't have a large amount to pay back when I graduated. The degree didn't do me any good in L.A. so I moved to NYC where I got employed by a few major corporations and made a good living and a good retirement. The degree got me the interviews in the corporate world, but I had to hustle and make my way from there. Almost nothing I learned in school was of any value on the job except for one thing, the ability to stick with it to achieve a goal regardless of how difficult the environment, teachers, bosses, were, both in school and at work.

Last edited by bobspez; Yesterday at 07:42 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or