U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-10-2019, 09:21 AM

20,894 posts, read 9,766,892 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post

I'm sorry for the confusion here. I was discussing two different items and wasn't clear enough. When I say punishment was swift, it was. Punishment was administered either by the teacher in the classroom immediately through junior high or by the principal the end of the day. Usually paddling. It didn't cause discipline problems because the rules were clear, obvious, and well established. It wasn't applied arbitrarily. Kids knew that action A would result in punishment B. So for the most part the school was well behaved, respectful, everything a teacher would want.

This however does not mean there was punishment for bullying. Bullying did not get punished. As I said earlier was encouraged and there were teachers who participated. For example, fighting got punished. The bully could come up and hit you, and nothing would be said. But if you hit back, that was fighting so you would get punished for defending yourself.

When my kids were in school (in a different state so not the same school), the only thing that had changed was there was no more paddling and they had anti bullying slogans. But the bullying still went on, except now not just in school, but on line. And the same rules were still the same -- fighting got punished so you were more likely to be punished for hitting back than the bully was for initiating it.

It works like this. If Johnny is a bully, it's "oh, you have to be more understanding of him, he has such a poor home life ." but if Johnny is an honor student, it's "did you hear, Johnny got expelled for bringing a knife to school." When in reality Johnny had a first aid kit in his car and inside the first aid kit was a small knife. The need to gossip about Johnny the honor student blanks out any rules about it.
Going back to the 1950s, paddling may have been legal in almost all states, but it was not common in all parts of the United States. So saying "usually paddling" is not accurate. Growing up in western NYS in the 1950s and 1960s, I never heard of a single case of paddling anywhere in my region. Teaching in western NYS in the 1970s, I never heard of any paddling in my region. Teaching in Maryland in the 1970s and 1980s, paddling was very, very rare. Same in the parts of Virginia where I was an administrator in the 1980s through early 2000s.

In other places, particularly the South, it was more common in varying degrees.

Old 02-10-2019, 03:15 PM

15,699 posts, read 17,439,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post

Zero tolerance policies are one of the dumbest ideas to come out of the education establishment.
Of course, you apply the standard answer that anyone not in education is biased. You don't have to be in education to have kids in school or have had kids in school or to have been in school, who have experienced something directly, to know that something is going on that shouldn't be. You could call it biased. I call it data points. One piece of anecdotal evidence may not be "evidence" but a collection of it points toward a trend.

Zero tolerance policies did NOT come from the education establishment, whatever you mean by that. They became widely adopted after the Federal laws in 1994 required states to expel any student who brought a firearm to school for one year, or lose all federal funding.

I agree that they are stupid and that they should be changed. They are implemented differently in different school systems already. They do disproportionately affect minorities and disabled students.

Old 02-10-2019, 03:27 PM

15,699 posts, read 17,439,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Going back to the 1950s, paddling may have been legal in almost all states, but it was not common in all parts of the United States. So saying "usually paddling" is not accurate. Growing up in western NYS in the 1950s and 1960s, I never heard of a single case of paddling anywhere in my region. Teaching in western NYS in the 1970s, I never heard of any paddling in my region. Teaching in Maryland in the 1970s and 1980s, paddling was very, very rare. Same in the parts of Virginia where I was an administrator in the 1980s through early 2000s.

In other places, particularly the South, it was more common in varying degrees.
While it was not common in New York, it was not banned in the state until 1985. NY City banned it much earlier though.

Old 02-10-2019, 04:52 PM

20,894 posts, read 9,766,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
While it was not common in New York, it was not banned in the state until 1985. NY City banned it much earlier though.
It doesn't matter when it was banned. It matters when it was still common practice. And in Western NYS, it was certainly not common practice beginning at least in the 1950s.

Old 02-20-2019, 11:00 AM

2,163 posts, read 1,578,353 times
What the heck is a "genital man"...?!?

Old 02-20-2019, 11:24 AM

4,247 posts, read 3,163,401 times
A superhero for our time.

Old 02-20-2019, 01:18 PM

4,489 posts, read 1,958,709 times
"Look! Up in the sky! It's a [ooops, can't say that]! No, it's a [can't say that either]! NO! It's...

Genital Man!!!"

Old 02-20-2019, 02:00 PM

4,969 posts, read 2,098,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frostnip View Post
a superhero for our time.
bwahahahaha

Old 02-26-2019, 02:19 PM

29,041 posts, read 44,460,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
I don't believe you have a PhD from one university much less four as your grammar is really bad.
You clearly know they're not American, and it's pretty obvious that English isn't their first language... so unless your grammar is perfect in a language you didn't grow up speaking, you might want to tone back the insults. You do realize people can get PhDs in other countries and languages, right? I have a Master's Degree from the US, but if I tried constructing a long post like that in Spanish (which I speak about as well as OP speaks English), my grammar would be iffy too. Seriously, I thought people on C-D were better than this.

Try taking their advice, too: i hope everyone could give neutral and sincere opinion for benefit others than focus spelling, grammar or foreign/ local born.

Old 02-26-2019, 02:29 PM

29,041 posts, read 44,460,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Retired View Post
Your post sounds questionable.
You articulate your message at times and then waft off into non fluidity.
Again, it's called speaking a language that's not native to you... I work with ESL students, and this is pretty similar to how they construct their sentences. I swear, it's like none of you have ever encountered a non-native speaker!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or