U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2019, 05:53 AM

3,333 posts, read 1,211,339 times

Advertisements

Like everything else, you "get good at" something through practice.

There's an adage: Average minds talk about things, small minds talk about people, great minds talk about ideas. it is not that hard to find ideas to talk about. "What if . . ." is a good way to start. What if humans had long tails? What if Plastic had never been invented?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2019, 05:24 PM

76 posts, read 8,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Verysadddd View Post
My anxiety has hindered my ability to communicate fluidly with others and my significant other doesn’t feel the like we challenge each other enough intellectually through conversation. He wants to have fluid conversation where we discuss topics and make each other think differently. So how do I go about learning how to have intellectual conversations?
Anyone who talks to you like and makes you feel that way tends to be seriously lacking in various departments......

Tell him to converse in the mirror if he doesn't do that regularly already.

Old 02-19-2019, 01:07 PM

25,729 posts, read 61,198,947 times
You could take college courses. History, English literature, debate, classics.

Anything where you learn something and then discuss its meaning or impact in class. Class discussion is required.

Another good place to develop conversation skills is to join a story telling group or event. The good ones allow and appreciate anyone telling a story regardless of how good or bad it is, they appreciate the fact you gave it your best shot. Eventually your best shot will improve and they will be clapping not just for you trying, but for your story.

Old 02-23-2019, 02:59 PM

4,021 posts, read 6,937,627 times
Quote:
My anxiety has hindered my ability to communicate fluidly with others and my significant other doesn’t feel the like we challenge each other enough intellectually through conversation. He wants to have fluid conversation where we discuss topics and make each other think differently. So how do I go about learning how to have intellectual conversations?
Hang around with me for a while.

Old Yesterday, 02:16 AM

6,657 posts, read 2,779,314 times
You have to be intellectually curious first -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e5_V78SWGF0

Old Yesterday, 11:46 AM

3,021 posts, read 4,484,723 times
Quote:
Let me lessen your stress. Dump the jacka$$.

People like that are exactly the kind of people to separate yourself from.

Old Today, 12:01 AM

36,009 posts, read 40,555,653 times
If the issues is confidence in speaking about things that interest you with others, that can be remedied by practice and repetition and observation of conversational partners who are good communicators.

But if your anxiety is coming from being denigrated and belittled by a crappy partner, the far more likely solution is to ditch the crappy partner.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or