U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2019, 02:35 PM

16 posts, read 5,180 times

Advertisements

My anxiety has hindered my ability to communicate fluidly with others and my significant other doesn’t feel the like we challenge each other enough intellectually through conversation. He wants to have fluid conversation where we discuss topics and make each other think differently. So how do I go about learning how to have intellectual conversations?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2019, 02:44 PM

5,598 posts, read 1,888,559 times
Choose a book on a subject you are both interested in and read it, then discuss its ideas. It doesn't have to be a massive textbook on some complicated subject - a short, even humorous book on something you both find interesting is a good start.

Old 02-06-2019, 03:18 PM

3,277 posts, read 1,401,289 times
He sounds like a loser. He shouldn't be making you feel like that. You deserve better.

Old 02-06-2019, 03:41 PM

1,662 posts, read 702,533 times
You don't. Tell him to stuff that idea. Talk about stuff you are both interested in. If he want's intellectual conversations he can watch youtube videos and post comments on them, or participate in online forums. If you have a good loving intimate relationship, that's all you need. If you don't, having intellectually challenging converstions won't matter. I just noticed a newer poster said he doesn't find you desirable. Now he doesn't think you are intelligent. Is this a joke?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Verysadddd View Post
My anxiety has hindered my ability to communicate fluidly with others and my significant other doesn’t feel the like we challenge each other enough intellectually through conversation. He wants to have fluid conversation where we discuss topics and make each other think differently. So how do I go about learning how to have intellectual conversations?

Old 02-06-2019, 03:41 PM

20,350 posts, read 13,364,641 times
Why do you want to have intellectual conversations with a BF who is no longer sexually attracted to you? You’ve been posting about that too, right?

You should not have to change yourself so much to keep a guy.

And you would probably feel less anxious about sharing thoughts in a more supportive relationship. How could you feel comfortable having a deep conversation with someone who doesn’t value you?

Old 02-08-2019, 04:34 PM

1,377 posts, read 988,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Verysadddd View Post
Need some examples of the topics that come up. Just saying "intellectual" is way too broad. Is it sciency or humanities? Plenty of "intellectuals" look down on science stuff.

Check out C. P. Snow The Two Cultures.

http://s-f-walker.org.uk/pubsebooks/...2-cultures.pdf

Old 02-08-2019, 05:26 PM

9,080 posts, read 9,899,843 times
There was a time when many intellectuals is America were self educated. You can still do this but there is no easy way. For starters find out who is lecturing in you area. Colleges, libraries, community centers,
and arts council bring in lecturers all the time. Find one that interest you. Libraries also have book discussions. You simply read a book and get together one evening and talk about the book.

Old 02-08-2019, 07:53 PM

9,080 posts, read 9,899,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thriftylefty View Post
There was a time when many intellectuals in America were self educated. You can still do this but there is no easy way. For starters find out who is lecturing in your area. Colleges, libraries, community centers,
and arts council bring in lecturers all the time. Find one that interest you. Libraries also have book discussions. You simply read a book and get together one evening and talk about the book.
edited

Old 02-08-2019, 09:56 PM

31 posts, read 3,077 times
In start, you can start communication in front of mirror to get rid of your hesitation. it'll help you to communicate.

Old 02-08-2019, 10:01 PM

31 posts, read 3,077 times
Some android apps are available to communicate with other person or foreigner. he/she will improve your mistakes. i think, you should try this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or