U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-15-2019, 09:34 AM

1 posts, read 191 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone. I hope you all are doing well. I graduated back in 2016 with a degree in accounting. I then started my business and things went alright. However, my sister is a teacher, and i have been a volunteer teaching at my church. I really do enjoy teaching. I wanted to know what would be the best way for me to become a math teacher? I am currently trying to sign up for some teacher assistant jobs, hopefully i get in. While doing that, i plan to retake a few math courses to refresh my memory. Then study to get certified for the math 7-12 certification. However, i am worried that i wont be able to find a job since i did not major in math. What do you guys suggest? (Currently, i do not want to get into a Master's program-just a personal preference)

Last edited by Count David; 02-15-2019 at 10:22 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2019, 11:18 AM

6,856 posts, read 9,997,510 times
It depends on your area, but school districts tend to be so desperate for math teachers, they'll hire anyone certified to teach it. One of my math teachers had a degree in biology, and all he taught was math classes. He was miserable and a terrible math teacher, but they made him teach math because they had no one else, and there were no openings for biology/life science. I also had a physics teacher who had a degree in microbiology. You could tell she was outside of her comfort zone.

Old 02-15-2019, 12:31 PM

2,101 posts, read 923,184 times
I wouldn't think so. It's not like accounting is totally opposite of what you're looking to do. And a lot of high schools have a business math and/or accounting class for students to take.

Old 02-15-2019, 12:35 PM

5,598 posts, read 1,872,138 times
Accounting may not have taken you through more than cursory math classes above basic algebra - if yours was like most programs I've seen, it's heavy on business and financial math, which (like stat) focuses heavily on problem analysis and interpretation but uses little beyond fairly basic math.

You might want to look into the textbooks for the levels you're approaching and see if your skills include algebra, trig, advanced geometry, pre-calc, calc etc. More if you think you might want to teach AP level.

Old 02-17-2019, 11:11 PM

6,554 posts, read 3,598,851 times
It depends on your state or even down to the school district. In Alaska, some degrees can be easily converted over to a teaching certificate. But not accounting, which is what I majored in. Had I majored in math, I would have been a shoe-in for getting a teaching certificate. Your area may be different. You need to go to the web site of the district you're interested in teaching in.

Old 02-18-2019, 09:40 AM

437 posts, read 165,601 times
So you have the credits in mathematics. So now you need the Educational masters/bachelors. Heck why not become a principal and major in business. That is what you need really. to become a principal is a business degree.

Old 02-19-2019, 12:37 AM

3,864 posts, read 7,327,847 times
Different states may have different requirements, but in general, because your major wasn't in math, you'll prove your competence in upper level math by taking an exam or two. That's part of the credentialing process and will satisfy prospective employers.

Check to see what exam your state requires, then go to the exam website to see what is included on the test.

Old Today, 02:22 PM

85,948 posts, read 100,685,977 times
My kids had a wonderful math teacher in HS who had an accounting major.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education