U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2019, 04:05 PM

6,411 posts, read 3,432,284 times

Advertisements

I didn't enjoy homework when I was a kid and didn't enjoy when my kids were in school. I firmly don't believe it in it prior to high school. Ours however had it starting right from the beginning in elementary. Prior to high school I don't think it really adds much to learning and actually does a lot of "negative learning" where if a kid misunderstands how to do something, and spends all night doing homework problems the wrong way, they have now implanted the wrong information in their head and it's even harder to correct. I esp saw a lot of that in math in the younger grades where the instructions they would bring home would just make no sense.

High school is think is the time to start homework, however it needs to be in the right amount, not 3-4 hours worth every night. And, they need to be taught the proper way to study on their own for college. The way high schools assign homework tends to teach bad study habits rather than good ones that have to then be unlearned when kids get to college.

By their junior/senior year, my kids schedule was something like this:

7AM before school practice or club/honor society meeting
8-330 in school
330-430 after school club/honor society meeting
430-700 sports practice (or if game night, typically until at least 10 for home games, after midnight for away games)
7-1030 theater practice
1030- 1 am homework.
5-6 hours sleep and start all over again.

On theater practice nights they only way the kids got supper is different parents would volunteer to feed them each night; otherwise they didn't eat until 1030. On home game nights they usually didn't eat until after the game. On away nights it was either the parents would load food on the bus so they could eat on the way over there or they'd stop at a fast food place on the way back.

Parents wonder why the kids sleep so long over Christmas and other breaks. It's because they are flat out exhausted from the school semester.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2019, 04:11 PM

20,908 posts, read 9,772,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
My dad was a corporate pilot. So no, he never brought work home. LOL Of course, he was gone a good part of the time, too....
I would hope that a corporate pilot might spend some time outside of work keeping up with developments in the trade through publications...at the very least.

Old 02-18-2019, 04:29 PM

15,704 posts, read 17,443,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
My dad was a corporate pilot. So no, he never brought work home. LOL Of course, he was gone a good part of the time, too.

I don't think kids should have homework before high school. But I think the biggest problem in classes right now might be the size of the classroom or disruptive kids, all of which takes away from a teacher's ability to teach anything. If the kids are sitting quietly and paying attention, they learn more much faster than if the teacher has to continually discipline someone in the class. Plus, that's just that much less she can present to the class as a lesson, so they have to make it up in homework.

Computers aside, I also think we're trying to teach 2019 kids with 1950 methods. Maybe we should take a step back and try teaching smarter. The kids today have changed. Maybe it's time the old teaching methods should change as well.

More than anything else, I think a stand needs to be taken. People need to have a strong school board and a strong principal who say "These are the rules regarding uniforms, attendance, passing grades, and behavior. This is what needs to be learned. Don't learn it, you don't pass. Misbehave and you're out of the school. Period. No if, ands, or buts." Then enforce those rules and let every parent and child know those rules will be enforced.
The size of the classes and disruptive kids is very dependent on where you live and the particular high school that you attend.

Some schools are using 3D printing to teach
https://www.makersempire.com/7-ways-...g-3d-printing/

Other innovative teaching strategies
https://education.cu-portland.edu/bl...ool-educators/

Obviously, these methods are not used in every school, but there are some great schools out there that do use them.

Old 02-18-2019, 05:54 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
21,790 posts, read 38,853,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radical_Thinker View Post
One of the things I hated most about growing up was homework. I did everything I could to avoid doing it, even at the expense of lower grades and getting "yelled at." My reasoning was that school was school, and home was for rest and relaxation. I never saw my parents do any "homework" related to their jobs - work was work, and home was for doing whatever you wanted. Made perfect sense to me.

The floor is open for discussion...
discussion commences..
A Radical_Thinker probably knows that Homework is generally not necessary (and seldom beneficial. ) Not so different than employer giving you Busy Work (which USA grads seem to think they need, because they have been 100% led to instruction rather than pulling their head out of the sand to observe / innovate / ACT!!!) - thus NO homework could lead to innovation / inventions / developing other abilities and interests

One of the things I hated most about growing up was homework. I did everything I could to avoid doing it, I had this solved for me...
being too busy with chores to even think 'avoidance' (and still doing homework).
BTW... home was for rest and relaxation...it take your parents were not Small Business owners / in sales / Real estate or Farming. I have never seen my parents of grandparents (or self) 'rest and relax' @ home.. More than enough demands!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
I didn't enjoy homework when I was a kid and didn't enjoy when my kids were in school. I firmly don't believe it in it prior to high school. ...
By their junior/senior year, my kids schedule was something like this:

7AM before school practice or club/honor society meeting
8-330 in school
330-430 after school club/honor society meeting
430-700 sports practice (or if game night, typically until at least 10 for home games, after midnight for away games)
7-1030 theater practice
1030- 1 am homework.
5-6 hours sleep and start all over again.

Solved 'another way' for me...
Dairy Farm Boarding School...
4:30AM up, did chores / feeding and were and milking by 5AM (7 days / week)
7-8AM One hour bus trip over treacherous roads (mud, mtns, snow, ice, creeks)
8-330 in school (thankfully)! (resting)
330-430 1 hr bus trip
430-700 milking
7-9pm Chores
9:30 - 10pm, shower (wait in line) + eat (wait in line)
10:30p - 12:30a homework / write mandatory letters about how well you were being cared for...

Went overboard on my own kids (Un=schooled)

NO homework... tho plenty of work around the home / farm / businesses.
Livestock chores
Farm duties
Farm finances (4H project books)
Investment prop duties (clean / repair / remodel)
Travel and finance planning (for the years were lived overseas)
Cooking (kids knew how to coo meals by age 8-10)
Mentoring (the Public School kids who had spent all day doing nothing, then brought home 'homework' to prove it)

Learned to trade stocks at age 12 (Roth IRA)
Learned to weld, build furniture, repair mechanical things (cars and tractors), paint cars (body work), Electronic projects, Drafting / CAD design, music...
Customer service (farm sales, senior volunteering / homeless food service, business contacts, )
Designed, obtained permits, and BUILT their own homes (from scratch... bulldozer to finish carpentry) before they went to college @ age 16 (for free in WA State).

No homework (until college)

They survived and thrived (probably due to no wasted effort doing 'busywork' .)

(BTW:
Some schools are using 3D printing to teach
https://www.makersempire.com/7-ways-...g-3d-printing/...
I had their homes 3D printed as models (with internal people and furniture) in 1993... we had 4 different technologies to use by 1993.
(My current PT gig is color 3D printing) https://garage.ext.hp.com/us/en/inno...et-fusion.html

Old 02-18-2019, 06:24 PM

6,081 posts, read 1,753,304 times
It sounds as if you're so consumed by your personal experience that you're unable to try any objective reasoning. Surely the first point of homework is to get the student to apply himself for more study time than can be done in a scant hour at school where the teacher is shared by a roomful of other students. Second, although a schoolroom is the place to listen to, or interact with, the teacher, the homework time is when the students tries to do the work, or works at writing. Third, less obviously, it's the first training most kids get in learning to schedule themselves.

Old 02-18-2019, 07:35 PM

301 posts, read 87,415 times
Yes homework is necessary.
It is necessary to do things like read books, write papers, do research. There is no time for all that in school.
I know many people who grew up in "developing" nations and I know their schools did not require they read books or write papers about books or do research papers.
As a result these people are simply not as well educated, they didn't learn to write well or read well or think on their own, analyze books or poetry for instance: to THINK.

If we want to have highly educated students who can excel in science, write books, analyze things, solve problems, then homework and learning to write and think is part of that education.

Why do we have homework?
To further our education, to learn to do things on our own and to learn how to read, research, analyze, THINK!

If you want the USA to become like a developing nation with poor education and people who often don't know how to analyze and think for themselves, then fine: stop having homework.

Old 02-18-2019, 07:49 PM

8,075 posts, read 12,481,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movingvanmorrison View Post
It is necessary to do things like read books, write papers, do research. There is no time for all that in school.
I know many people who grew up in "developing" nations and I know their schools did not require they read books or write papers about books or do research papers.
As a result these people are simply not as well educated, they didn't learn to write well or read well or think on their own, analyze books or poetry for instance: to THINK.

If we want to have highly educated students who can excel in science, write books, analyze things, solve problems, then homework and learning to write and think is part of that education.

Why do we have homework?
To further our education, to learn to do things on our own and to learn how to read, research, analyze, THINK!

If you want the USA to become like a developing nation with poor education and people who often don't know how to analyze and think for themselves, then fine: stop having homework.
You can do all of those things in school. My third graders are currently doing research and writing five paragraph research reports...in school.

They are not simply spoon fed info all day.

Old 02-18-2019, 08:05 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
21,790 posts, read 38,853,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movingvanmorrison View Post
How many other nations have you taught / worked / lived in?

I (and my company) THRIVE when I can hire a non-USA STEM grad! Yippee, someone who can actually innovate! and be responsible (dependable / self-thinker / DOER) for company progress.

Homework can be done within LONG and boring USA school schedule (I am a 4th gen educator and spend way too much time volunteering in Public Schools.) down time? dead time? WASTED time? ... yup... plenty.

When in college / secondary school you MUST schedule your classes / free hours so you can get homework done at school, as jobs, sports, responsibilities, social activities can ROB all your other hours.

Since I trained my own kids to be responsible self starters (as every parent MUST).. I can't really relate to the idea that Homework is of any value to TEACH students to organize their time and be self starters... What happened to PARENTS? MIA? (just like the "Education" portion (deliverable) of USA Public schools? )

Today (as everyday) I spent $22 on our failed public schools (from only ONE of my 20+ properties).

I spent $3 today to feed my family.

great bargain, great use of funds.

No time (need) for homework... I can do the math, and so can my kids, and employees. (I must make sure of that, because a HS diploma sure doesn't mean they can do math!) No enough home work? Doubt that helped much.

Last edited by StealthRabbit; 02-18-2019 at 08:13 PM..

Old 02-18-2019, 08:14 PM

1,165 posts, read 214,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgbwc View Post
You can do all of those things in school. My third graders are currently doing research and writing five paragraph research reports...in school.

They are not simply spoon fed info all day.
What do you imagine students in classrooms in which homework is assigned are doing during classtime?

Old 02-18-2019, 08:34 PM

14,440 posts, read 12,917,440 times
I understand some things, which should be rare, but simply assigning homework for the hell of it is BS in my opinion. It is also BS to assign it just as part of the "routine" of the school. You got all damn day, do it then.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or