U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2019, 10:10 PM

1,165 posts, read 214,291 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
I understand some things, which should be rare, but simply assigning homework for the hell of it is BS in my opinion. It is also BS to assign it just as part of the "routine" of the school. You got all damn day, do it then.
Here's a clue for you: we as teachers dislike heaping work upon ourselves for no purpose. I often wonder where you folks, be you parents or others, get some of your misconceptions. We actually spend an inordinate amount of time agonizing over whether the work we're assigning is worthwhile.

Chances are, if your kid has tons of homework, he/she isn't using time effectively that is given during school hours. We see it constantly. Unsurprisingly, the students who tend to excel are those who make use of the copious amounts of time given to students to do work during the school day. Then again, what are the chances that teenagers would lie about the amount of time given to them to do work at school? Yeah, small, right?

The unfortunate thing is that adults like you undercut teachers by passing on your issues to your kids. It doesn't help them, regardless if it makes you feel better to unload those issues.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2019, 12:06 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
21,790 posts, read 38,853,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiociolliscalves View Post
Here's a clue for you:...
The unfortunate thing is that adults like you undercut teachers by passing on your issues to your kids. It doesn't help them, regardless if it makes you feel better to unload those issues.
solution= No teachers required! (worked for us (even though my siblings, their spouses and myself Are trained as teachers and some still are)...) We ALL homeschooled this generation (and next gen is following suit, tho some are still teachers).

And... of course our kids are totally inept and socially deprived (Community leaders 13+ yrs after Magna level graduation). Certainly wasn't our teaching.. Must have been the lack of homework

No rebellion yet (probably any day now).

yes, we made the choice to put our careers on hold for our kid's education. Panned out OK, was able to leave the workforce pre-age 50. To do over again,... I would do as most of our peers. Start several family businesses as homeschool projects. (That involves HOMEWORK!!!) revenue generation, character building, business skill development HOMEWORK.

Several of the Homeschool businesses are doing great, 20+ yrs later, ($10m+ / yr revenues & 100+ person employment for our community). Seems appropriate for 'value added' homework.

Some of the kids started NGO's for needy kids elsewhere. (Those are doing well also). A productive result of 'effective' Homework.

None of these people (kids or parents) were anything exceptional... just normal factory workers or self employed small business owners (laid off timber workers from Spotted Owl days).

Old 02-19-2019, 01:09 AM

9,705 posts, read 14,690,393 times
"In all seriousness, however, why is homework even necessary?"

It promotes a greater understanding of the subject. Simple as that. I'm on two school boards, local and regional. The board takes no stand on homework. Teachers who use homework have students that get better test scores.

Old 02-19-2019, 01:27 AM

390 posts, read 66,233 times
Quote:
Teachers who use homework have students that get better test scores.
and the relentless focus on test scores at the expense of all else is another endemic.

homework should be used mainly as a punishment, and sparingly at that. for the most part, you want schoolwork associated with learning, not punishment.

Old 02-19-2019, 02:33 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
21,790 posts, read 38,853,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dynamicjson View Post
and the relentless focus on test scores at the expense of all else is another endemic.

homework should be used mainly as a punishment, and sparingly at that. for the most part, you want schoolwork associated with learning, not punishment.
so as per the 'school board'... Homework is also a 'stick' to beat the other teachers...

Simple Solution:= No School Board (no schools, no buses, no $xxx,xxx administrators, no homework, no School taxes)
How many excellent teachers do you know who have left the position in the last 20 yrs due to School Board misguided focus on test scores! One is too many... I know hundreds who have left.
or...

Simple Solution:outsource USA EDU to a country who actually gets results (ACTUAL results, not just 'approved' test scores )

Hint... There are plenty of countries who could do this EXCELLENT for USA (for a fraction of the current cost).

The results would be phenomenal! (not hindered by USA failed EDU).

need proof...??
Go hire a few STEM employees! (make sure some of them come from countries who know how to teach...)
Results are very clear! (when your profitability depends on the EDU output. )

Simple Solution: very simple... too simple ! No homework required (or desired). Just open your eyes (and mind) to the WORLD edu opportunities.

Old 02-19-2019, 02:53 AM

9,531 posts, read 5,226,462 times
Sooner or later, the ability has to be learned that one needs to study outside the "workplace". To arrive at adult hood without that is a disaster.

Old 02-19-2019, 04:02 AM

62 posts, read 9,157 times
Practice makes perfect. It's that simple.

Old 02-19-2019, 05:31 AM

8,075 posts, read 12,481,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiociolliscalves View Post
What do you imagine students in classrooms in which homework is assigned are doing during classtime?
School work. What would you say they are doing?

Old 02-19-2019, 06:11 AM

34,468 posts, read 18,677,806 times
I taught HS science for many years. My philosophy was that my mission was to teach science, NOT to teach kids to hate school or to hate science. My colleagues in the lower grades had often done a complete job of that before those kids ever entered my classroom.

Part of my method was to minimize homework. If I couldn't get the point across in the time I had in class, then that was on me. I needed to take another approach to the objective of that lesson. The thing I tried to do was to make science relevant and easy to grasp.

Beyond HS, serious students of any subject need to put in extra effort outside the classroom. That's pretty much a given. And the serious students in HS generally WILL go the extra distance and actually read the textbook.

In my opinion, assigning lots of repetitive, grind-it-out homework serves more to discourage learning than to enhance it. Especially in homes where the parents aren't exactly supportive of their kids' schooling.

Old 02-19-2019, 06:23 AM

4,489 posts, read 1,961,074 times
So how, exactly, do you propose that students practice the things they are taught? In a typical hour long class, you have let's say 10 minutes of getting settled, 30 minutes of instruction, 10 minutes of "practice" and 10 minutes of getting unsettled. That's somewhat idealized; in urban public schools, if you have a drooler, or a screamer, or a fighter, you might lose the majority of that hour to just keeping them from breaking up the furniture.

Do you REALLY think that something like 5-10 minutes practice a day (in ideal circumstances) is going to be enough for a child to learn the material sufficient to gain mastery of it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or