U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2019, 06:51 AM

14,235 posts, read 10,197,399 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Was the original forecast for snow which was actually rain when it got there? The thing you absolutely don't want to have happen is to get the kids to school then dismiss them into a heavy snow event.

My former system used to do that and would occasionally have to have student sleepovers in the schools because the buses couldn't run.

Calling off school is always a no win situation, you'll always **** off half the district. When TS Isabel hit the roads were blocked with fallen trees and most of the schools didn't have electricity. It didn't matter, people still complained.
All of this. Early dismissal is the number one circumstance when students get injured in a school transportation incident, it also is dangerous for students on foot, and often results in young children going home to empty houses, or worse, locked homes.

Someone always complains about school opening/closing decisions. I had a parent grouse when we closed with 8 inches of snow on the ground and even my husband was told to stay home by the military base.
Moderator - Asia, Kentucky, Lexington, and Louisville
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2019, 09:51 AM

3,167 posts, read 1,728,186 times
In my area the greatest cause of school days off is cold. If it is predicted to be below 0 degrees Fahrenheit, the schools all preemptively close, because a large percentage of students walk to school every day and it is considered unsafe weather for them to walk in.

Old 02-23-2019, 12:21 PM

14,107 posts, read 12,785,828 times
The people I worked with that complained about school closing was because of child care reasons, they had to go find someone to watch their kids. When even we had the day off due to weather, still complained because "they could not do anything because they had to watch their kids".

Old 02-23-2019, 02:03 PM

4,898 posts, read 3,365,270 times
In Florida there aren't snow days, but there are hurricane and tropical storm days. In my county, the days are 30 minutes longer than whatever is required to fit in the right amount of hours, so it works out to having some number of days that don't need to be made up. Last year, we had Hurricane Irma and the schools were closed for over a week (no electricity), but the days didn't have to be made up.

That seems to be a better alternative than having the digital days, for a couple reasons. First, there's the issue of some kids not having internet access in the home. Secondly, depending on the storm that is closing the schools, power and/or internet might be knocked out, so the kids aren't going to be able to do the work anyway.

Old 02-23-2019, 02:49 PM

4,032 posts, read 6,942,875 times
This is a school district issue, not a nationwide issue. The Department of Education is extra-constitutional and worse than useless. Butting in further to local issues will not make anything better.

Old 02-23-2019, 03:19 PM

1,230 posts, read 538,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwatted Wabbit View Post
This is a school district issue, not a nationwide issue. The Department of Education is extra-constitutional and worse than useless. Butting in further to local issues will not make anything better.
For all posters question is asking whether districts in other parts of the country should follow California and Washoe County Nevada's lead in abolishing mandatory make up days due to force majeure out of a district's control. Especially if a higher authority orders them closed or bans travel on state highways or city/county roads to and from the school by school vehicles. But replacing it with an alternative sound contingency plan should learning curriculum be interrupted due to such an unexpected event. I.e extended school periods, alternative learning packets, etc.

The main issues districts around the country face is not receiving funding for not opening the required number of days for any reason. Apparently outside of California there is not much sound provisions in the education code for force majeure waivers.

I do understand some places are closing school for every little thing. Though isn't it more important to have alternative learning provisions planned rather than scheduling a makeup day on a legal holiday in another term in which the kids who do show up would not do much if any learning anyways, yet still had to contend with cramming due to the lost days on the previous quarter.

I also believe that its not much of an issue outside of the US based on how schools are run.

Old 02-23-2019, 07:55 PM

1,117 posts, read 973,433 times
What I've never understood is adding days on at the end of the year. This is no education going on those last days of school. By the time state testing is done , I'm sure everyone is like " I'm so done with this place" Take away their scheduled days off or give them less days off during the school year period.

Old 02-23-2019, 08:08 PM

33,287 posts, read 40,713,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BJW50 View Post
What I've never understood is adding days on at the end of the year. This is no education going on those last days of school. By the time state testing is done , I'm sure everyone is like " I'm so done with this place" Take away their scheduled days off or give them less days off during the school year period.
End of the year add ons is the path of least resistance. Parents raise holy hell if Easter is truncated. My former system tried it a couple years ago and got so much flack that the Board publicly slapped the Superintendent around and changed it back.

Old 02-23-2019, 11:36 PM

86,001 posts, read 100,795,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BJW50 View Post
Our state's testing period is in April! No matter when the year ends, the last few days are the "wrap-up". I don't know how adding make-up days to the end changes that.

Old 02-24-2019, 06:46 PM

1,230 posts, read 538,577 times
Based on responses I always think would it make better sense for school systems to have a contengency plan should schools be interrupted for any reason whether the district administration overreacted or not? I.e should a large storm thats likely to interrupt school be already forecasted, there should be alternative ways to get coursework from teachers to students whether as a packet or digital. Or having a conference call, as even if students don't have computer or Internet they should at least have phones. There would be no harm done should school still end up open as normal.

I find even if a district builds in snow days, Would the planned snow days on the second semester actually allow the first semester be extended more days for teachers to catch up on the missing coursework due to the unexpected interruption and students time to prepare for their final exams? I know that many times snowed in days or other emergency cancellation occur a few weeks before the end of term or finals week.
Wouldn't it make better sense if school days were extended i.e each class period by five minutes starting from the day closest to the end of semester or finals. As students would generally do nothing but study that close to final examination on those weeks. Or the days leading up to state tests for that matter.

One thing slightly off topic that I am annoyed with is how much time middle and high school students spend getting from classroom to classroom each day if only we can cut down on that and use the time for learning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or