U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is the minimum acceptable?
A or 4.0 average 8 10.96%
B+ or 3.5 average 15 20.55%
B or 3.0 average 17 23.29%
C+ or 2.5 average 10 13.70%
C or 2.0 average 19 26.03%
D+ or 1.5 average 2 2.74%
D or 1.0 average 5 6.85%
F 2 2.74%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 73. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2019, 12:46 PM

3,706 posts, read 1,929,558 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Va83 View Post
I would be happy with Cs if my kid was struggling and that was the best they can do but my kid was awarded the presidents acknowledgment award for good grades throughout elementary school. It wasn’t just As (well in elementary school Es) but 100s on pretty much everything. The kid is in middle school now doing high school work and still on honor roll so because I know this is achievable I expect nothing less.
Which President - current or former?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2019, 02:12 PM

2,668 posts, read 667,232 times
Either way (prodigy or struggling) I will get help in areas that he or she needs help, and make career suggestions based on what we're working with in terms of personal drive, grades, and aspirations.

I WILL find something for them that at least finances an independent life.

Old 03-15-2019, 06:42 AM

5,250 posts, read 3,480,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddm2k View Post
Either way (prodigy or struggling) I will get help in areas that he or she needs help, and make career suggestions based on what we're working with in terms of personal drive, grades, and aspirations.

I WILL find something for them that at least finances an independent life.
How old are your children? I don't think you will really be able to find them careers... that's their responsibility and privilege. If your 19-year-old decides to be a Starbucks barista and is set on that being his/her destiny, there's not really anything you can do about it.

Old 03-15-2019, 11:21 AM

2,668 posts, read 667,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherTouchOfWhimsy View Post
How old are your children? I don't think you will really be able to find them careers... that's their responsibility and privilege. If your 19-year-old decides to be a Starbucks barista and is set on that being his/her destiny, there's not really anything you can do about it.
LOL - I think complacency with the job is more likely than thinking a barista is a lifelong calling, but I know what you mean.

Just saying I can lead the horse to water... they'll need to do the drinking. Not old enough yet for a work permit but just keeping my eyes out for the future.

Old 03-17-2019, 02:49 PM

1,162 posts, read 553,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yippeekayay View Post
Which President - current or former?
Current

Old 03-18-2019, 09:44 PM

2,270 posts, read 3,348,892 times
3.5+ or don't come home. All this talk about "best" is for losers. You want your kid to have the habits and drive to excel in school, which will most likely translate to more life success down the road. Set high standards, give them the tools to succeed, and expect success. You're only setting up your kids for failure in life if you accept their "best". With that said, I'm glad that there are people who raise losers. It'll make my kid look better, and someone's gonna have to work for my kids!

Old 03-20-2019, 08:30 PM

367 posts, read 72,083 times
For my children an A+, your children whatever. Our view is education is their job. If they are creating practice problems for themselves before a test, there should be few surprises. The idea of education is to strive for mastery of the subject matter. Subject mastery comes before leisure in our household.

Old 03-20-2019, 09:09 PM

1,162 posts, read 553,242 times
Honestly my idea of education is can what is being learned be applied in real life. It’s grand that you can regurgitate what you’re told a week later. Can you tell me cause and effect?

Old 03-21-2019, 07:46 AM

515 posts, read 190,660 times
Okay passing at one time was 55 even if they lied said it was failing. They changed it to 65 without telling anybody. So that is the norm. C. At one point all collleges was accepting students irreguardless. What they did is that they raised the prices of admission and forced a rule of passing being C, B, A, Some colleges takes D but can not be transferred.

Old 04-10-2019, 03:04 PM

888 posts, read 683,715 times
My kids have had straight As thus far on their report cards. They're in middle school; I hope it continues. They do occasionally get lower grades on individual assignments. I see it all through Power School. If it's lower than an 80 I ask them what happened. Usually, they didn't turn something in on time and got docked for it. If they legit did their best and got lower than an 80, we need to figure out how to do better next time. That has happened a few times with the younger one.

Me: "What happened? Why did you get a 60 on this math quiz?"
Kid: "There were only 5 questions, and I got 2 wrong."
Me: "Do you understand what you did wrong?"
Kid: "Yes, I made a really stupid mistake on one of them."
Me: "Okay, that happens. What about the other one?"
Kid: "I made an even stupider mistake."

LOL. So we talk about how it's better to be the last one to turn in a test and get a good grade, than to be the first one done and end up with a 60.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or