Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is the minimum acceptable?
A or 4.0 average 8 10.81%
B+ or 3.5 average 15 20.27%
B or 3.0 average 17 22.97%
C+ or 2.5 average 11 14.86%
C or 2.0 average 19 25.68%
D+ or 1.5 average 2 2.70%
D or 1.0 average 5 6.76%
F 2 2.70%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 74. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2019, 04:51 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,380,774 times

Advertisements

I always wondered how former "honor roll" students felt when they saw C students getting ahead in the business world or winding up with higher paying jobs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2019, 04:58 PM

4,031 posts, read 2,715,223 times
It would probably depend on the child, the amount of effort put in, and even the subject itself. I'd probably cut a lot of slack to a child who decided to tackle Advanced Physics, but was fighting to get a 'C' in that subject, for example.

Old 02-21-2019, 06:53 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indigo Cardinal View Post
It would probably depend on the child, the amount of effort put in, and even the subject itself. I'd probably cut a lot of slack to a child who decided to tackle Advanced Physics, but was fighting to get a 'C' in that subject, for example.
They really shouldn't be taking Advanced Physics if they can only get a "C". The advisors at my kids' school said to take such courses if the kids thought they could get a "B".

Old 02-21-2019, 07:16 PM

5,521 posts, read 8,769,797 times
What grades you expect of a kid also depends on how courses are graded, and that's something most parents, IMO, are not really savvy about. Some teachers, for instance, are quite easy to please and give nothing but As and Bs. Others (even some in high school) purposefully make the course hard to 'weed out' so-called underachievers. Some teachers grade on a curve, so a very capable student can be graded either high or low, depending on what the rest of the class does. Some schools make teachers give out only a limited number of As so as to keep grades from being 'devalued'.

Because its hard for any of us to know exactly how each teacher grades, our advice to our kids was simply 'Try hard and do your best.' And we could usually tell when they were trying and when they weren't.

Old 02-22-2019, 07:18 AM

27,564 posts, read 28,659,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
I always wondered how former "honor roll" students felt when they saw C students getting ahead in the business world or winding up with higher paying jobs.
How would you even know who was a former honor roll student or a C student in school?

This information is rarely disclosed by employers or discussed in the workplace.

Old 02-22-2019, 09:03 AM

18,547 posts, read 15,584,312 times
These days, you almost need straight A's in high school to get a scholarship for college. A lot of A/B students still don't get much and end up with massive student loan debt. Well-informed high school students often feel tremendous pressure to make straight A's or nearly so.

Old 02-22-2019, 09:10 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,802,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Yes, I agree with this. A child may sail through one type of discipline (music, or foreign languages, or literature), and struggle, putting in extraordinary effort, in another (math, or whatever). A kid who worked hours every day and still got a C, shouldn't be told that's not acceptable.
That was me. So I just took the classes I could sail through and got As. My parents were very happy that I went form a mix of every grade to all As, but I was not taking any math or science. Was that the wrong response form them? I really have not been substantially hampered by limited knowledge of the details of science or math. I have a general understanding and there are always people who do the calculations or the actual study anyway.

Old 02-22-2019, 09:16 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,802,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
These days, you almost need straight A's in high school to get a scholarship for college. A lot of A/B students still don't get much and end up with massive student loan debt. Well-informed high school students often feel tremendous pressure to make straight A's or nearly so.
Not even then. Some of my kids get near straight As and graduated in the top ten at a non-inflated high school. (3.92 and 3.89) They had very good but not amazing test scores. (31 and 32 ACT;1380 and 1350 SAT) They got scholarships and even a full ride in one case at tier two and three schools. The top tier though offered either very little or nothing. In fact there were still some schools that did not even accept them.

Test scores seem to be more important than grades. One of my kids' friend got a 35 or 36 on the ACT and he was accepted and offered scholarships pretty much everywhere despite comparatively lower grades.

Old 02-22-2019, 09:39 AM

19,790 posts, read 18,079,394 times
We have a son and a daughter. K-12................A's in all classes were expected. B's acceptable on occasion. C's never acceptable. Each attended very demanding private schools and performed as expected.

Our deal for college and beyond was that my wife and I would pay for any and all education through professional/graduate school so long as A's and A level output was earned/given.........................little did I know how expensive that last part would be.

One is an MD resident, if I have it right he's in the operating theater right now.
One is deciding between medical school and law school currently.

That's an anecdotal and indirect way to say set expectations high and actually be supportive parents and kids will usually rise to them.

Old 02-22-2019, 09:57 AM

27,564 posts, read 28,659,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgbwc View Post
How would the child “study harder” if he already tried his hardest?
How do you know a child really is trying their hardest? I don’t suppose you take them at their word?

Studying is not a cakewalk. Kids make up all kinds of excuses and explanations to avoid studying or focusing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education