U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2019, 01:26 PM

Location: Follow the oil exhaust cloud until you run out of gas, then turn left
1,053 posts, read 319,421 times

Advertisements

My junior high and high school had assigned lockers, problem is they were designed in and for a different era when your biggest textbooks were about the size of large trade paperbacks, not the reams of 8 1/2*11 paper my generation had to carry. Plus you had to share them with at least one student.

When your schedule involves moving from one end of the campus to the other multiple times a day, trying to push your way through a crowd of almost 2000 students (in an overcrowded 1970s-era school designed for about 800 at most), to your locker at the other end of the campus, then to your class back at the opposite end in a space of five minutes becomes a true test of your wits and time management skills. And you thought the New York subway during rush hour was bad. God help you if you end up with that one sub who locks the door the second the bell rings and you're 40 feet away and closing in.

Forget even having a locker, THAT is why you use a backpack.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2019, 05:31 PM

6,366 posts, read 3,408,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ttark View Post
My junior high and high school had assigned lockers, problem is they were designed in and for a different era when your biggest textbooks were about the size of large trade paperbacks, not the reams of 8 1/2*11 paper my generation had to carry. Plus you had to share them with at least one student.

When your schedule involves moving from one end of the campus to the other multiple times a day, trying to push your way through a crowd of almost 2000 students (in an overcrowded 1970s-era school designed for about 800 at most), to your locker at the other end of the campus, then to your class back at the opposite end in a space of five minutes becomes a true test of your wits and time management skills. And you thought the New York subway during rush hour was bad. God help you if you end up with that one sub who locks the door the second the bell rings and you're 40 feet away and closing in.

Forget even having a locker, THAT is why you use a backpack.
This was my kids experience as well. They had lockers. The problem was getting from class, to a locker on the other end of the building, a couple times on a different floor, and back again in the time between classes.

The other big different that many who went to school "back then" is we had textbooks and a single 3 ring binder and a couple of spiral notebooks to carry between classes. Now day every teacher wants their own spiral notebook and own 3 ring binder, and folders, and a computer, and other stuff. The volume is a lot more than we had to carry back then.

Old 03-06-2019, 02:59 PM

16,329 posts, read 13,689,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
Thatís just not a feasible option if kids have 7 classes a day and large books for every class. Many kids have books that will weigh up to 40-50 pounds. There is just no way they can be expected to hand carry them, particularly if they have to take a bus to school or walk. I know even when I was in school, we had 20-25 pounds of books, and we had a block schedule and did not go to every class daily.
A 40-50 pound book? Are you serious?

Old 03-07-2019, 09:54 AM

75,791 posts, read 67,623,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
A 40-50 pound book? Are you serious?
I think the poster meant a total of 40-50 lbs. for all books. Still, anything approximating that weight would be a lot to carry.

Old 03-07-2019, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
This was my kids experience as well. They had lockers. The problem was getting from class, to a locker on the other end of the building, a couple times on a different floor, and back again in the time between classes.

The other big different that many who went to school "back then" is we had textbooks and a single 3 ring binder and a couple of spiral notebooks to carry between classes. Now day every teacher wants their own spiral notebook and own 3 ring binder, and folders, and a computer, and other stuff. The volume is a lot more than we had to carry back then.
I'm thinking about this in the context of some real-life examples, to see if it bears out. Quite possibly, for some semesters or academic years, it could. But if a student is taking a language class, say, no voluminous binder or sectioned spiral notebook is needed; a simple folder will do, or a dedicated section in a big binder. The foreign language textbooks usually aren't too big. For "English" class (literature), all there is at any given time is a paperback to carry around. Handed-in and graded papers can also be kept in a separate section of the main binder, or in a folder kept in the locker 3-4 days/week.

Where the big, heavy books come in is for "social studies" courses, like history, and now many universities require "World economics" on the HS transcript, also the sciences, and computer courses. Maybe some math courses have big books. But the schools usually have computers; students aren't required to lug computers to school and back daily, except for small hand-held calculators. (Many public school students can't afford computers; I see them at the local library every day, monopolizing the entire computer section, doing their homework.)
And students don't have science courses every semester, or even every year. Some of that stuff is spread out over 4 years, so that for any given semester, a student might only have 2 big textbooks possibly with their own accompanying workbooks or something. There might be an intense semester or three, where the student has 3 big books.

Please enlighten me, if you have a different experience to share, on your kids' behalf. I notice one thing that's definitely changed since many of us here were in school, is that universities are requiring much more of HS students, as entry requirements. More higher math in HS, "World economics" and other college-level-sounding subjects like Psychology, Sociology or Anthropology, more science. All of that would add to the book load, obviously.

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 03-07-2019 at 10:16 AM..

Old 03-07-2019, 12:59 PM

33,396 posts, read 40,861,289 times
Ruth, I'm not going to quote your entire post to address just one issue, required binders.

Many school systems do indeed mandate a separate three ring binder for each class (sometimes color coded by class), for you teacher bashers note I said school system, not teacher. for organizational skills reasons, "professionalism" (I **** you not. That was one reason we were given) or just because.

I occasionally got "counseled" for being a contrarian for not caring as long as the kid had paper when he needed it.

Old 03-07-2019, 02:08 PM

7,198 posts, read 12,682,590 times
A lot of schools banned backpacks after all the shootings in schools. (This info has probably already been provided since I'm posting this on the bottom of the first page of the thread). Where my sons went to school, and this was after the Columbine, Co., and Heath High School, Ky. shootings, the only backpacks allowed were clear or mesh, so everything inside could be seen. But what caused more of an uproar was the students weren't allowed to wear their coats inside the school building. for this reason a lot of students who rode the school buses to school went without a coat in the winter. Parents weren't too happy with that.

Old 03-07-2019, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Ruth, I'm not going to quote your entire post to address just one issue, required binders.

Many school systems do indeed mandate a separate three ring binder for each class (sometimes color coded by class), for you teacher bashers note I said school system, not teacher. for organizational skills reasons, "professionalism" (I **** you not. That was one reason we were given) or just because.

I occasionally got "counseled" for being a contrarian for not caring as long as the kid had paper when he needed it.
Thank you. That sounds like micro-management. It can get expensive for some parents, too.

Old 03-07-2019, 05:29 PM

6,366 posts, read 3,408,426 times
R4T. Sadly you are using the same logic I would have used. Unfortunately teachers really did require individual binders, notebook, folders, etc. And to disagree slightly with NBP, whom I respect, it was teacher specific. For example one year all the teachers wanted 1 1/2 inch binders except Mrs C's English which had to be a 3 1/2 D ring binder. Yes it got very expensive buying all this special stuff each year. There's a separate thread from a couple years ago on that.

Old 03-07-2019, 05:35 PM

15,636 posts, read 17,404,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
R4T. Sadly you are using the same logic I would have used. Unfortunately teachers really did require individual binders, notebook, folders, etc. And to disagree slightly with NBP, whom I respect, it was teacher specific. For example one year all the teachers wanted 1 1/2 inch binders except Mrs C's English which had to be a 3 1/2 D ring binder. Yes it got very expensive buying all this special stuff each year. There's a separate thread from a couple years ago on that.
Classroom supplies in k-8 were decided by the department not by individual teachers. In high school, they were also by department so all the English teachers had the same supplies. This was usually decided in department meetings, iiRC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education