Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2019, 12:01 PM

3 posts, read 2,560 times

Advertisements

Students should be allowed to use their backpacks in the classroom to ensure that they have everything they need but have them as a privilege that can be taken away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2019, 10:03 AM

3,693 posts, read 2,412,209 times
Please explain.

Why? Where?

Old 02-26-2019, 10:56 AM

7,195 posts, read 5,726,143 times
Um, okay?

Old 02-26-2019, 01:05 PM

1,051 posts, read 1,067,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 13000716 View Post
Students should be allowed to use their backpacks in the classroom to ensure that they have everything they need but have them as a privilege that can be taken away.
Without a school bag... how, exactly, will they tote their school supplies from one classroom to the next? That's not a consequence; it's ridiculous.

Old 02-27-2019, 08:42 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,883,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiveMeCoffee View Post
Without a school bag... how, exactly, will they tote their school supplies from one classroom to the next? That's not a consequence; it's ridiculous.
The same way they did, before kids started using backpacks? It's not that difficult.

Old 02-27-2019, 08:54 PM

1,517 posts, read 990,706 times
Please elaborate or the benefit of younger generations who don't know.

BTW, I still have (and use) my 20 year old Kelty external-frame pack that got me through high school. I also still have the lower back problems that resulted from having to lug 50+ pound loads of textbooks across two campi multiple times a day* for six years because they were too big to fit into the shared late 1960s/early 1970s era lockers in my dated, overcrowded junior and high schools, but that's another thread entirely...

*Rolling backpacks were just starting to come onto the market around the turn of the century yet my high school naturally banned them. Their rationale was they could be used "as a weapon" (that was always their universal blanket excuse for banning equipment they weren't personally familiar with or didn't understand) yet they let people bring foot-and-a-half tall, loaded down steel-frame backpacking packs in and out of the building every day for years on end without a second thought.

Old 02-28-2019, 05:09 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,674,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
The same way they did, before kids started using backpacks? It's not that difficult.
That’s just not a feasible option if kids have 7 classes a day and large books for every class. Many kids have books that will weigh up to 40-50 pounds. There is just no way they can be expected to hand carry them, particularly if they have to take a bus to school or walk. I know even when I was in school, we had 20-25 pounds of books, and we had a block schedule and did not go to every class daily.

Old 02-28-2019, 05:29 AM

13,511 posts, read 19,279,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 13000716 View Post
why would that "privilege" ever be taken away?

Old 02-28-2019, 05:59 AM

45,379 posts, read 60,561,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by purehuman View Post
why would that "privilege" ever be taken away?
Drugs, weapons, miscellaneous contraband.

My school system didn't allow backpacks starting in the 1980s. It loosened up a bit around 2000 to allow clear or mesh ones.

As far as "How do kids carry their stuff?" the answer has already been stated, the way they always did, in their hands. The world just didn't begin. We would have been laughed out of the building if someone had a backpack.

Old 02-28-2019, 07:27 AM

50,783 posts, read 36,474,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
That’s just not a feasible option if kids have 7 classes a day and large books for every class. Many kids have books that will weigh up to 40-50 pounds. There is just no way they can be expected to hand carry them, particularly if they have to take a bus to school or walk. I know even when I was in school, we had 20-25 pounds of books, and we had a block schedule and did not go to every class daily.
I don’t think anyone is saying they shouldn’t have backpacks. I think they’re just saying that when they get to school the backpacks have to stay in their locker. Then they take the one book they need for whatever class they’re going to. The OP is arguing they should be able to have them all day long. I’m not positive they aren’t allowed to already. If they’re not, I’m guessing it’s due to space constraints more than anything else. You can have all the isles of the classroom filled with backpacks people have to be able to walk. It’s not like preschool where you have cubbies you could hang your backpack in the classroom.

They’re certainly not going to be banned all together at any point soon, as the new backpacks they are making with bulletproof linings are becoming quite popular due to the school shootings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education