U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2019, 12:05 AM

4 posts, read 1,194 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
This. OP, I'm not sure what you mean about the "challenge of leaving high school". If you're college-bound, there's just more school waiting for you.It's just a change of venue, that's all. Could you elaborate on your topic idea?
It's a big transition. Figuring out if you want to go to college or not. Figuring out what to do if you don't. Figuring out where to go and what to study if you do. Figuring out how to cope with the demands of whatever it is that lies beyond high school.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2019, 12:53 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
21,654 posts, read 38,708,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ma23 View Post
It's a big transition. Figuring out if you want to go to college or not. Figuring out what to do if you don't. Figuring out where to go and what to study if you do. Figuring out how to cope with the demands of whatever it is that lies beyond high school.
trust us... Also by far the easiest time of your life to make that transition.

*Hint- life gets much more complicated the day you leave home for the first time (permanently...Age 15 for me), after that... jobs, spouse, family, parents, grandparents to care for... (+ bills, LOTS of bills!)

I gave my own kids till their 18th B-day.

They made great choices. (They already had their AA / 2 yrs free college by end of HS, compliments of WA State Running Start program)

One moved to a fire station as the sole resident / staff (for the next 4 yrs)
The other headed to Alaska to learn fishing gigs. (for income during summers)
They finished college very quickly (and cheaply). They ended up with really meaningful and great jobs. (not on purpose... but they were recognized as capable, so had good offers)

The LAST thing I would do is head directly to college unless I had been working a gig in HS that was 'career based' and I knew precisely what I wanted to achieve by spending my time and money on college.

I took (3) jobs at a time to 'figure-it-out' (As I had in High School).

I eventually went back to college as soon as I was able (First I had to buy my parents a house, then remodel it). My company paid (reimbursed) 100% for classes I got 3.0 or better. I worked night shift, so had plenty of time to go to college (free all day!). Even Walmart pays tuition assistance for employees.

Now's your chance, gotta step up!
Gotta step out!

Old Yesterday, 07:03 PM

2,935 posts, read 2,982,171 times
I would say that one of the biggest challenges for many young people getting ready to launch is self-management. Time, money, all the choices from intimacy to whether to use or not and how much of whatever people are using--these are just some of the areas of self-mastery that are important to someone without a lot of life experience. Another skill--learning from the mistakes of other people whenever possible, but at the very least learning from one's own mistakes.

Old Yesterday, 10:16 PM

8,739 posts, read 4,824,768 times
you need at least two years of school extra in anything, just to put you ahead of those without

Old Yesterday, 10:48 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
21,654 posts, read 38,708,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbagg View Post
you need at least two years of school extra in anything, just to put you ahead of those without
Apprenticeship or specific job 'experience' skills may bridge that gap.

Individual and career dependent.

There are still quite a few jobs / careers that can be had without extra education.
50 high-paying jobs that don't require a college degree
https://www.nwitimes.com/business/jo...3f7249822.html
Not all high-paying jobs require a degree. Here are some jobs with $100,000 potential–no bachelor’s degree required.
https://www.fastcompany.com/40585197...college-degree
https://www.moneycrashers.com/six-fi...ving-a-degree/

I have several friends with these jobs / income. (No extra school required).

One friend was interviewed by a national article. $120k + income + 30+ yr great career. (fire chief, worked up the ladder from first being a volunteer)

Last edited by StealthRabbit; Yesterday at 11:06 PM..

Old Today, 10:46 AM

75,598 posts, read 67,473,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
A little more about her. She attended a tiny outpost of a high school in hyper-rural Texas. A about a month into her 10th grade year she had finished all the math homework for the year. She asked her math (think it was a pre-calc class) teacher who was also her advisor who is also female if the teacher could help her with a math problem DIL had stumbled across on the internet. The teacher said, "X why don't you just relax a little, get pregnant and find a man like all the other pretty girls."

I noticed you are, "friends" with stan4. stan4 has a great story about sending medical school graduation invitations to a couple of stumbling block teachers she endured along the K-12 gauntlet.

First, I made an error above DIL isn't an official resident yet. She knows where her residency will be but it's not 100% official until March 15th - just wanted to get that right. Anyway she's sent out 4 medical school graduation invites to people she feels like showing off to a little. She included her class rank she finished #4 and her USMLE Step 1 and 2 scores (99th and 100th percentile respectively - both more or less heroic efforts) and her residency info. One of the recipients is the teacher who told her she should relax and get pregnant.

She's not mine to be proud of but I am any way.

"Because, teacher, I'm not an airhead"..? I suppose your DIL was polite, and chose not to respond. But wow, that's scary, that there were still teachers around who thought that way, just 10-15 yrs. ago, when your DIL was in HS. But as you say, it was a tiny rural school. Still.....yikes!

Old Today, 12:54 PM

7,762 posts, read 8,581,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post

"Because, teacher, I'm not an airhead"..? I suppose your DIL was polite, and chose not to respond. But wow, that's scary, that there were still teachers around who thought that way, just 10-15 yrs. ago, when your DIL was in HS. But as you say, it was a tiny rural school. Still.....yikes!
As DIL states she was so stunned and appalled that she couldn't really come up with anything to say - which on balance was likely a good thing. No question those few words made an impression.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or