U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 07:59 AM

16,820 posts, read 9,436,808 times

Advertisements

Philosophically-oriented? Uh, no. Socrates would tear you to bits! Seriously, Luciano, turn off the tech and start prioritizing sleep. It will do you a world of good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 08:07 AM

2,517 posts, read 707,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
Philosophically-oriented? Uh, no. Socrates would tear you to bits! Seriously, Luciano, turn off the tech and start prioritizing sleep. It will do you a world of good.
Lol this ain't those times

With that being said is only the beginning for me

Besides the tech, you need a whole lot of factors to improve sleep and they're all welcomed

Old Yesterday, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luciano700 View Post
Lol this ain't those times

With that being said is only the beginning for me

Besides the tech, you need a whole lot of factors to improve sleep and they're all welcomed
I recognize the futility in asking this question, but do you recognize that you are not engaging in appropriately reciprocal dialogue? Is this deliberate or is there an issue that you need to come clean about? There is something truly off about the way you communicate, and it’s more than just normal teenage sophistry. Chronic sleep deprivation like you described earlier is implicated in all kinds of mental & physical illnesses, and it can mimic learning disabilities and exacerbate those that already exist. If you truly are sleeping as little as it appears, I would encourage you to consult a health care provider, who can help you get the rest your body and mind desperately need.

Last edited by randomparent; Yesterday at 08:55 AM..

Old Yesterday, 08:22 AM

2,517 posts, read 707,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
I recognize the futility in asking this question, but do you recognize that you are not engaging in appropriately reciprocal dialogue? Is this deliberate or is there an issue that you need to come clean about? There is something truly off about the way you communicate, and itís more than just normal teenage sophistry. Chronic sleep deprivation like you described earlier is implicated in all kinds of mental & physical illnesses. If you truly are sleeping as little as it appears, I would encourage you to consult a health care provider, who can help you get the rest your body and mind desperately need.
Oh I absolutely understood, people say it's my learning disabilities or due to being a bilingual person, but nope I think the sleep and thinking ability are more to play here

Anyways, I will look into it, but if a healthcare provider isn't always there could there always be an alternative?

Old Yesterday, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Oh I absolutely understood, people say it's my learning disabilities or due to being a bilingual person, but nope I think the sleep and thinking ability are more to play here

Anyways, I will look into it, but if a healthcare provider isn't always there could there always be an alternative?
First things first, turn off the tech about an hour before you go to bed and keep it somewhere outside your bedroom at night. Read a regular book.

If you’re using your phone as an alarm clock, it’s time to find an alternative. If you can’t afford a new alarm clock, then try a thrift shop.

Next, no exercise late at night. It amps up your body and makes it hard to fall asleep.

Make sure your room is as dark, quiet, and cool as possible.

No caffeine after lunch. None.

In the morning, get up and enjoy a few minutes in the sunlight as early as possible. It will help reset your internal clock.

If these steps do not improve matters, then seek out a health care provider for additional help.

Last edited by randomparent; Yesterday at 08:57 AM..

Old Yesterday, 09:36 AM

19,062 posts, read 15,777,118 times
I do think school has become more academic, but I don't think there are less activities. I think there are more activities today, more sports, more clubs and groups to join, they still do yearbook and student paper and every other activity I remember.

Old Yesterday, 10:06 AM

221 posts, read 29,757 times
Quote:
And do you feel if you agree with the premise, that this has been killing the drive of our students for the last 5 to 10 years?
Too much indoctrination and too little real-world skills.......

Old Yesterday, 10:52 AM

1,396 posts, read 892,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I do think school has become more academic, but I don't think there are less activities. I think there are more activities today, more sports, more clubs and groups to join, they still do yearbook and student paper and every other activity I remember.
My daughter's public middle school - based on the test scores vs. district/state/nation; graduation rate; and on the percentage who continue education post high school - fits this model. Absolutely no shortage of activities, both within the classes and before- and after-school. And weekends.

Far, far more activities than we had (I also went to a public school with a high rate of graduation, high average college entrance exam test scores, high rate of graduates pursuing education).

What these kids have foisted upon them these days ... getting enough sleep is an issue, even in middle school.

Old Yesterday, 11:32 AM

283 posts, read 32,795 times
Quote:
honestly, randomparent is giving you a ridiculously hard time, and accusing you of being a lot less coherent than you actually are.

native english speaker, im having no problem understanding your posts. if i were you, id just ignore the troll. up to you though-- have a nice day. and yes, being of a philosophical bent will get you all kinds of labels from less thoughtful people. **** em!

Old Yesterday, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynamicjson View Post
honestly, randomparent is giving you a ridiculously hard time, and accusing you of being a lot less coherent than you actually are.

native english speaker, im having no problem understanding your posts. if i were you, id just ignore the troll. up to you though-- have a nice day. and yes, being of a philosophical bent will get you all kinds of labels from less thoughtful people. **** em!
I am definitely not a troll. Luciano struggles to communicate his ideas in a coherent manner. I now understand that he has an unspecified learning disability, which does help explain some things, but I remain genuinely concerned about his chronic sleep deprivation, which is not healthy for anyone of any age, most especially a teenager. I am the parent of three children, two young adults and one high school student. I know the difference between typical teenage sophistry and disordered communication. Luciano displays the latter. Getting better quality sleep will help him think more clearly, so he can engage with all of us in more productive conversations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or