Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2019, 09:11 AM

12,847 posts, read 9,055,079 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
The "on your own" is the current "best practice" looked for in teacher observations and evaluations. Students are expected to take "ownership" and become "vested" in their education with teachers backing away from instruction to become "facilitators" of students' education.

Some iterations of this model postulate that a teacher with subject area expertise is actually a hindrance to a student "actualizing his educational efforts and achievements".

I ran into this with one Principal who told me that I had too much subject area knowledge which hindered my evaluation. Mind you this was after almost thirty years and being considered a Master Teacher who was tasked with easing new teachers into their job.

The educobabble I included is in quotation marks.
Have to sprinkle some rep points around, but would like to give you more. I am truly sorry that education has fallen to that level.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2019, 09:40 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,369,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luciano700 View Post
I say only 3 teachers try to engage with us for real

The rest of the students are "your on your own" type, journalism is a bit in the middle.

And everything, yes and very often than most of us could imagine.
In which courses, Luciano, are your teachers lecturing vs. leaving you to learn on your own? And are you expected to write papers and complete projects to demonstrate your learning? In which courses?

Old 03-12-2019, 09:42 AM

3,255 posts, read 1,720,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
In which courses, Luciano, are your teachers lecturing vs. leaving you to learn on your own? And are you expected to write papers and complete projects to demonstrate your learning? In which courses?
Some I can think off include digital media, my credit recovery Algebra course lol, Spanish 3 and yeah

The 3 that do actually engage with the student are math modeling, English 3 and Aquatic Science.

Old 03-12-2019, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Some I can think off include digital media, my credit recovery Algebra course lol, Spanish 3 and yeah

The 3 that do actually engage with the student are math modeling, English 3 and Aquatic Science.
So are you happy with the instruction you’re receiving in Math Modeling, English 3, and Aquatic Science? What do those teachers do differently than your other three teachers? Engage is a great word but also a bit vague. Do you work in small groups, conduct experiments, review your work one-on-one with your teacher?

Old 03-12-2019, 10:06 AM

388 posts, read 200,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
fixes to education are going to have to come from outside, and the education industry is going to resist change with everything it has. Look within this forum itself, how may topics are practically non discussable.
the way ive felt for a long time, is that school cannot really be fixed, anymore than honey boo boos diet. it can only be supplemented.

this is a bit idealist and a bit negative, and smacks of something even a bit corporate (because ultimately youre only going to sell additional education. i dont think its ideal but it could be necessary.)

the reason for the negativity is simple. change in school has to come from the state, the school board, or somewhere else.

the state is entrenched in corporate lobbyists, short of article v you cannot repair the election system or copyright or school, beyond what lobbyists want-- they have long made it so it is legal to buy congress. the school board at best, is entrenched in their own politics. you likely have as much odds of a student convincing their teacher to change they way they do their job. so you dont change what you cant-- you add what you can. but if someone has a way to change the schools, great. a workaround seems like the real option. it lets you do the work now, instead of waiting forever for a miracle.

Old 03-12-2019, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
So are you happy with the instruction you’re receiving in Math Modeling, English 3, and Aquatic Science? What do those teachers do differently than your other three teachers? Engage is a great word but also a bit vague. Do you work in small groups, conduct experiments, review your work one-on-one with your teacher?
All 3 are kinda accurate

Old 03-12-2019, 11:50 AM

Quote:
All 3 are kinda accurate
So what happens in the other classes?

Old 03-12-2019, 02:03 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,733,278 times
Quote:
Problem is nowadays we hardly learn incredibly necessary stuff. Is funny how when a student engages in philosophically-trivial stuff the student gets looked like an psudointellectual, even though a bunch of crap is so uneccesary.

Also now more kids probably know just how to do some random math equation than something more important such as inflating your car's tires or how to do the laundry

Thankfully math modeling is actually teaching us some necessary stuff
psEudo...sorry and I get we all make the occasional typo but you keep spelling that word wrong over and over.

Anyway, that "incredibly necessary stuff" is for your parents to teach you, or youtube. Not public school.

Old 03-12-2019, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
psEudo...sorry and I get we all make the occasional typo but you keep spelling that word wrong over and over.

Anyway, that "incredibly necessary stuff" is for your parents to teach you, or youtube. Not public school.
Then the parents must be doing poor job of teaching them real world skills nowadays

Old 03-12-2019, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Then the parents must be doing poor job of teaching them real world skills nowadays
What makes you think this is true anywhere but in your social bubble? There are a lot of high schoolers in the world. I had/have three of them. They could all cook a meal and do their own laundry by middle school. They all mastered checking the oil and changing a tire when they learned to drive. They had part-time jobs and managed their own money.

Luciano, I understand that you’re disappointed with some aspects of your life right now, but you can either spend your days whining about how other people are failing you, or you can decide to buckle down. Your Algebra teacher is a bore? So what? Do you need that credit to graduate? Get to work. Set yourself free from the tyranny of bad teachers and stop using them as an excuse for your own lack of motivation. You are in charge of your own learning!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education