U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 01:18 AM

2,508 posts, read 707,554 times

Advertisements

And do you feel if you agree with the premise, that this has been killing the drive of our students for the last 5 to 10 years?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 01:37 AM

282 posts, read 32,795 times
i wouldnt call the adoption of even more of what doesnt work "more academic" though.

the mechanisation of school as something increasingly based on test scores has certainly not helped the drive.

the relative failure of schools to stay relevant, the fact that people have 24/7 access to a larger library in their own home than they once had at the city library-- but schools do relatively nothing with this-- the increasing amount of leftist dogma, as well as many other things. education is great, school sucks. i liked reading before and after school-- i love it. school taught me to hate it for a while. i finally love the subject of history. too bad school teaches nearly everyone to hate that-- along with a visceral, traumatic fear of learning itself that you find in practically everybody. you know what people still like learning after school? trivia. as long as its something unimportant, school cant kill the love of it.

school isnt just job training, theyre tasked with teaching you how to think.

how do you think? shut tf up and stand in line, pretend to agree, dont make a fuss. the worst thing you can say about school is how many important people did poorly in it, or quit altogether-- einstein, bill gates, im not saying everybody that does well is stupid. school insists on staying broken, and silicon valley isnt going to fix it (but they will try to purchase it.)

Old Yesterday, 01:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynamicjson View Post
i wouldnt call the adoption of even more of what doesnt work "more academic" though.

the mechanisation of school as something increasingly based on test scores has certainly not helped the drive.

the relative failure of schools to stay relevant, the fact that people have 24/7 access to a larger library in their own home than they once had at the city library-- but schools do relatively nothing with this-- the increasing amount of leftist dogma, as well as many other things. education is great, school sucks. i liked reading before and after school-- i love it. school taught me to hate it for a while. i finally love the subject of history. too bad school teaches nearly everyone to hate that-- along with a visceral, traumatic fear of learning itself that you find in practically everybody. you know what people still like learning after school? trivia. as long as its something unimportant, school cant kill the love of it.

school isnt just job training, theyre tasked with teaching you how to think.

how do you think? shut tf up and stand in line, pretend to agree, dont make a fuss. the worst thing you can say about school is how many important people did poorly in it, or quit altogether-- einstein, bill gates, im not saying everybody that does well is stupid. school insists on staying broken, and silicon valley isnt going to fix it (but they will try to purchase it.)
It is funny how people complain that school is now easier than ever, but the teachers are giving too much lecture out nowadays.

Old Yesterday, 02:00 AM

282 posts, read 32,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luciano700 View Post
It is funny how people complain that school is now easier than ever, but the teachers are giving too much lecture out nowadays.
doable. you can make adding 2+2 difficult-- just give them a chisel and a stack of tablets and have them fill an encyclopedia with small print.

excessive workload doesnt make it more educational. there should be a class action lawsuit over the stuff they require students to physically carry. what are they trying to do, give them arthritis by the time theyre teenagers? ive had great teachers and terrible ones. the terrible ones all thought they were the best. but i blame the schools more than the teachers. if everybody that works at starbucks leans over and deliberately farts in your coffee, who is to blame? starbucks is. especially if going there is mandatory. they can pass the buck to the school board, that might well be legit in many ways. its no joke to say congress could be at fault.

Old Yesterday, 06:57 AM

16,813 posts, read 9,436,808 times
Quote:
And do you feel if you agree with the premise, that this has been killing the drive of our students for the last 5 to 10 years?
At what level? For young children, I do think this is an issue in some academic environments. For older students, there is usually plenty of opportunity to tune a schedule to reflect a student’s interests and motivation, at least there always was for my own kids.

Also Luciano, aren’t you currently a student? What the heck are you doing awake in the middle of the night? Shouldn’t you be getting a good night’s sleep? I hate to point out the obvious, but insufficient rest can kill motivation, making it difficult for students to do their best.

Old Yesterday, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
At what level? For young children, I do think this is an issue in some academic environments. For older students, there is usually plenty of opportunity to tune a schedule to reflect a student’s interests and motivation, at least there always was for my own kids.

Also Luciano, aren’t you currently a student? What the heck are you doing awake in the middle of the night? Shouldn’t you be getting a good night’s sleep? I hate to point out the obvious, but insufficient rest can kill motivation, making it difficult for students to do their best.
First off, I recommend looking up "sleep procastination"

2nd, there is no point in getting a good night's rest anymore, all the technology and the hard to fight sedentary lifestyles(which I gotta put effort into myself to fight of course) kill the need for one

If you were to have mention the 2 things lol maybe I wouldn't have wanted to give such a rebuttal

BUT, you can't just get a good night's rest though by just sleeping in. You actually need the proper requirements lmao

This is what bothers me, everyone recommends getting a good amount of sleep OBVIOUSLY, but where are the tips to improve sleep quality or to help encourage students sleep earlier? See it's easy to just say that and recommend it right away without looking at the other problems

For me personally I hate to say it but I haven't found sleeping an enjoyable thing to do over the last 3 to 10 years which is quite a gap to be honest

The Western world is desperate to plan out a killing of the human species, that's why you have so many unnatural ideologies and over rising technology.

Last edited by Luciano700; Yesterday at 07:41 AM..

Old Yesterday, 07:38 AM

Quote:
First off, I recommend looking up "sleep procastination"

2nd, there is no point in getting a good night's rest anymore, all the technology and the hard to fight sedentary lifestyles(which I gotta put effort into myself to fight of course) kill the need for one

If you were to have mention the 2 things lol maybe I wouldn't have wanted to give such a rebuttal

BUT, you can't just get a good night's rest though by just sleeping in. You actually need the proper requirements lmao

The Western world is desperate to plan out a killing of the human species, that's why you have so many unnatural ideologies and over rising technology.
This post is terribly disjointed and makes very little sense. Please reconsider your sleep habits. A proper night’s rest will likely help you express your thoughts more coherently.

Old Yesterday, 07:42 AM

Quote:
This post is terribly disjointed and makes very little sense. Please reconsider your sleep habits. A proper night’s rest will likely help you express your thoughts more coherently.
I fail to see how, but you can it call it "psudo-intellectual" for all I care.

Also, I suggest looking at my edit.

Apperantly, using synthetic melatonin isn't the key either.

And light pollution from light bulbs is also a huge factor, I think light bulbs need some sort of adjustment thingy or something, because I never found them to be as strong as they are today

Here's an article covering light pollution

https://mashable.com/2017/11/22/nigh...by-led-lights/

Old Yesterday, 07:49 AM

Quote:
I fail to see how, but you can it call it "psudo-intellectual" for all I care.

Also, I suggest looking at my edit.
Still incoherent, but if you’d like to characterize that mess of word salad as pseudo-intellectual, be my guest. Are you sure you intended to use that term given what it means?

Old Yesterday, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Still incoherent, but if you’d like to characterize that mess of word salad as pseudo-intellectual, be my guest. Are you sure you intended to use that term given what it means?
Pretty much lol, I kind of get constant accusation of sound psudointellectual I can tell you right now and I think part of that has to do with me being a philosophically-minded person

Also, why do the edits keep disappearing?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or