U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-17-2019, 01:00 PM
 
15,714 posts, read 17,455,708 times
Reputation: 15456

Advertisements

Will you be in Rex or North Clayton? Rex is an unincorporated community in Clayton County, Georgia. The community is 73% African American and quite poor. Will your parents be with you? Are they moving for a job? Are you moving permanently or will you be returning to Pakistan eventually? You might want to email the principal or counselors with your questions. You do not need to take the SAT or ACT to go to high school. In the US, if you are going to a public school, there is not alot to do except to send your transcripts with your grades to the school so that they place you in the correct grade. You may find that the high school work here is not up to the standard of your home country.

https://003.clayton.k12.ga.us/cms/One.aspx

https://morrowhscounselors.wixsite.c...unselingdepart

The counselor for juniors (11th grade) has an email here:
Mrs. E. Norton-Rashad, Ed.S. edonna.norton-rashad@clayton.k12.ga.us

North Clayton HS
https://004.clayton.k12.ga.us/

No information on emails for the counselors, just pictures of them.
principal there is:

Dr. Eldrick H. Horton
Principal
eldrick.horton@clayton.k12.ga.us

JUNIOR COUNSELOR (11th)

Ext. 503131

EMAIL: edonna.norton-rashad@clayton.k12.ga.us

It looks like there are AP classes at these schools, but it is unknown how many or which ones you would want to take. Premed is college not high school.

Last edited by nana053; 03-17-2019 at 01:12 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-17-2019, 01:08 PM
 
15,714 posts, read 17,455,708 times
Reputation: 15456
There are a few private schools also in the area. They are religious though. And they are not really close to either Rex or North Clayton. They are also extremely small as in 10 to 30 students in total in each school. I am wondering why you are going to this particular area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-18-2019, 10:00 AM
 
Location: State of Transition
76,043 posts, read 67,909,226 times
Reputation: 73222
Quote:
Originally Posted by luqman View Post
Yes, I am in a private school.
By what month do I have to take the SATS and ACTS
If you're in a private school, I would think you should have no worries. Your education in Pakistan is most likely better than anything most public schools in the US offer. You're a shoo-in for AP classes. You'll be starting 11th grade next fall, right? That's the plan? Don't worry about the SAT's. Your school will have that scheduled at some point during the academic year. You can find out after you arrive.

The school counselor can help you select classes, but you'll need to take "English" classes each semester (= Literature. All universities require this at the HS level, every semester), science, obviously (Chemistry, at least, and I assume you already have had Biology), advanced math, and at least a year of "foreign language", if you don't already have another European or Asian (typically: East Asian) language. IDK, you might be able to get credit for a South Asian language, but it would be a stronger profile, if you take a year or two of whatever the school offers, language-wise. Some time in your 11th or 12th year, you'll need to take something in the "Social Studies" category, like World Economics, International Relations, or some such, and one or two college-level introductory courses, like Psychology, Anthropology, or Sociology. If your school doesn't offer it, you could take it at the local community college or university. US history and government are also required. A course in your state's history may also be required for graduation, though isn't required for college admission.

BTW, if your school doesn't require (or offer) any of the underlined, you should take one of them at the local college, because these days, quite a few of the better public and private universities require that. You can check the websites of a few universities you're interested in, to see what their admission requirements are, to guide you in your course selection.

As to how your GPA will be calculated, I don't think you need to worry. If you do well in your last two years, that will speak for you. What kind of grading system do they have in your current school? In any case, the fact that you're a recent immigrant applicant would catch their interest. You'll have an opportunity to speak for yourself, in the personal essay part of the college application, which most universities these days require, in addition to HS transcripts and SAT/ACT scores. (You only need to take one of those tests, not both.)

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 03-18-2019 at 10:37 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-18-2019, 10:23 AM
 
Location: State of Transition
76,043 posts, read 67,909,226 times
Reputation: 73222
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
Will you be in Rex or North Clayton? Rex is an unincorporated community in Clayton County, Georgia. The community is 73% African American and quite poor. Will your parents be with you? Are they moving for a job? Are you moving permanently or will you be returning to Pakistan eventually? You might want to email the principal or counselors with your questions. You do not need to take the SAT or ACT to go to high school. In the US, if you are going to a public school, there is not alot to do except to send your transcripts with your grades to the school so that they place you in the correct grade. You may find that the high school work here is not up to the standard of your home country.

https://003.clayton.k12.ga.us/cms/One.aspx

https://morrowhscounselors.wixsite.c...unselingdepart

The counselor for juniors (11th grade) has an email here:
Mrs. E. Norton-Rashad, Ed.S. edonna.norton-rashad@clayton.k12.ga.us

North Clayton HS
https://004.clayton.k12.ga.us/

No information on emails for the counselors, just pictures of them.
principal there is:

Dr. Eldrick H. Horton
Principal
eldrick.horton@clayton.k12.ga.us

JUNIOR COUNSELOR (11th)

Ext. 503131

EMAIL: edonna.norton-rashad@clayton.k12.ga.us

It looks like there are AP classes at these schools, but it is unknown how many or which ones you would want to take. Premed is college not high school.
The bolded doesn't bode well, OP. You're fortunate to have someone here, who knows the area, and can give you specific advice about the schools in the area. Your parents will have to choose a good community to settle in, so that you'll have access to a good school. This is essential.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-18-2019, 10:49 AM
 
15,714 posts, read 17,455,708 times
Reputation: 15456
I cannot imagine why anyone from Pakistan would move to Rex, Ga. It is not a good area and there is really only one public school. If his parents are moving for a job, they should ask their boss or co-workers about this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-18-2019, 11:09 AM
 
Location: State of Transition
76,043 posts, read 67,909,226 times
Reputation: 73222
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
I cannot imagine why anyone from Pakistan would move to Rex, Ga. It is not a good area and there is really only one public school. If his parents are moving for a job, they should ask their boss or co-workers about this.
Hopefully, we'll find out from the OP. Maybe they already have relatives in the area?? IDK, we'll see. I'm so glad you're here, so you can advise the OP. I hope we can figure out a solution, once we have more info. If it's about a job in Rex , are there any communities nearby, that you could recommend, for a better school?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-18-2019, 11:33 AM
 
Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
21,821 posts, read 38,884,462 times
Reputation: 22498
Rather that waste another minute in High School... Why not just transition to a Jr College and get an Associates Degree (2 yr) that transfers 100% to your university of choice.

This would be quite inexpensive, and is free (and encouraged) in some states.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Running_Start

Reduces your University expense by 2 yrs tuition.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-18-2019, 12:06 PM
 
659 posts, read 474,104 times
Reputation: 584
Quote:
Originally Posted by luqman View Post
I am a student in Pakistan. I want to join a US high school after completing matriculation (which is equal to Grade 10). So, I wanted to know that if I migrate to a US high school in grade 11
1. Would I need to do all four years of high school if I am wishing to go for pre-meds.
2. Would I be able to do AP or honors classes in that grade 11 for improving my chances for a better college admission
3. How would my GPA for college be calculated as we don't have a GPA system in my country.
4. Would I be able to do co-curriculars and if yes then which ones should i opt for if I want to go in the medical field.
5. Which classes would I need to select.
I'm a guidance counselor in a NYC public school and I see this a lot.

1) The time you have to spend in an American high school depends on your Pakistani transcript. The courses you've already take will (hopefully) fulfill many of the graduation requirements. Please note that course and exam requirements for graduation are different in each state.

2) Honors classes and AP course offerings vary by high school, and so do the requirements for entrance into those courses.

3) In NYC, all transfer courses are given a "CR" to indicate that the student earned credit. We do not transfer the grades because grading systems vary widely. I can't speak to how this works in other places.

4) Again, club offerings, internship availability, and volunteer opportunities vary by high school and region of the country. All extracurricular activities "look good," especially if you have a leadership role and/or have been pursuing the same activity for a long time. What did you do in Pakistan?

5) See #1. You're going to need to complete requirements for graduation, but the other electives offered are going to vary by individual school.

Quote:
Originally Posted by luqman View Post
Yes, I am in a private school.
By what month do I have to take the SATS and ACTS
Students typically take these tests during the spring of 11th grade and fall of 12th grade. You can take the tests more than once. I understand that you speak English in your school, but you may want to speak to your counselor about the TOEFL exam as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-18-2019, 12:09 PM
 
3,277 posts, read 1,419,354 times
Reputation: 2392
Quote:
Originally Posted by luqman View Post
I am a student in Pakistan. I want to join a US high school after completing matriculation (which is equal to Grade 10). So, I wanted to know that if I migrate to a US high school in grade 11
1. Would I need to do all four years of high school if I am wishing to go for pre-meds.
2. Would I be able to do AP or honors classes in that grade 11 for improving my chances for a better college admission
3. How would my GPA for college be calculated as we don't have a GPA system in my country.
4. Would I be able to do co-curriculars and if yes then which ones should i opt for if I want to go in the medical field.
5. Which classes would I need to select.
You need a background check and visa first. If you come here it will all work out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-18-2019, 12:25 PM
 
15,714 posts, read 17,455,708 times
Reputation: 15456
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Hopefully, we'll find out from the OP. Maybe they already have relatives in the area?? IDK, we'll see. I'm so glad you're here, so you can advise the OP. I hope we can figure out a solution, once we have more info. If it's about a job in Rex , are there any communities nearby, that you could recommend, for a better school?
Not really. The best options are in Atlanta, but that is a 3 hour drive away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. | Please obey Forum Rules | Terms of Use and Privacy Policy

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top