U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Have homework loads increased over time?
Yes 12 57.14%
No 9 42.86%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2019, 05:26 PM

15,715 posts, read 17,459,998 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
Yes, seriously. You're actually supporting my point. It makes the news precisely because it is so unusual, not because it is commonplace. If schools in general were responsive, and homework not overloaded in general, then there be no news about it.
Usually, it is the parents who want their kids given more homework under the erroneous assumption that it helps the kids succeed. Of course, there are parents who want less homework as well, but parents have both opinions and the schools have to balance that out.

School Just Wants Kids to Have Fun?But Parents Demand More Homework | TakePart
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2019, 12:40 AM

498 posts, read 176,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
Nope you're not alone. But definitely an uphill fight because as soon as you disagree with the status quo, you get labeled as "anti education."
They'll also say, "We tried being more permissive in the 1960s and 1970s", when in fact the homework loads of 1981-present are far beyond those of the 1950s.

Last edited by redguitar77111; 03-23-2019 at 12:57 AM..

Old 03-23-2019, 10:04 AM

19,194 posts, read 10,638,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redguitar77111 View Post
They'll also say, "We tried being more permissive in the 1960s and 1970s", when in fact the homework loads of 1981-present are far beyond those of the 1950s.
And yet doesn't produce commensurate results.

I suspect the real problem is that for a variety of reasons, there is less time available in the classroom for instruction.

Old 03-23-2019, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
Usually, it is the parents who want their kids given more homework under the erroneous assumption that it helps the kids succeed. Of course, there are parents who want less homework as well, but parents have both opinions and the schools have to balance that out.

School Just Wants Kids to Have Fun?But Parents Demand More Homework | TakePart
What I got from that article was that a lot of parents didn't want to spend time out-of-school time reading and doing other learning activities with their children. They wanted the school to be in charge of everything.

Old 03-23-2019, 10:39 AM

4,931 posts, read 6,126,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
I was a nerd back in the 60s--heck, I was carrying a briefcase in junior high. At the time, it was called "bookworm," although the nickname hung on me through school was "The Prof." (Many years later I learned my mother knew that and kind of liked it.)

And at that, the books in my bookcase were mostly books out of the school library for my leisure reading. Homework was rarely more than a couple of worksheets or the page of problems from the week of math to be turned in on Friday.

Even the physical weight of the books kids are hauling home every day today is five times more than we ever took home.
Yes, there are many heavy textbooks in use today (literature is the worst), but very few students carry those books home. Some classrooms only have books for classroom use. Other schools have a book for home use and a classroom copy.

Old 03-23-2019, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
Yes, there are many heavy textbooks in use today (literature is the worst), but very few students carry those books home. Some classrooms only have books for classroom use. Other schools have a book for home use and a classroom copy.
Bookbags weren't even a thing when I was a kid, even though high school. Kids didn't take home enough books even to make book bags a market.

Old 03-23-2019, 05:20 PM

4,931 posts, read 6,126,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
Bookbags weren't even a thing when I was a kid, even though high school. Kids didn't take home enough books even to make book bags a market.
I graduated from high school in 1973. Many students carried several books home every night. We also had study halls where we actually did homework. In fact, it was rare to have a study hall where everyone was not working on homework or reading. That is not the case today. Even when kids have time to do homework in class, they would rather socialize.

Old Yesterday, 03:11 PM

25,944 posts, read 61,598,844 times
Greater volume of homework. I do not think it is necessarily harder.

Sometimes you end up with 5 hours of homework a night. Sometimes more. That is absurd.

More emphasis is placed on homework now. When I was in high school, I mostly did not bother with homework. I still graduated and went to college. I got by on quiz/test scores and class participation. Today I think if you just ignored doing homework you would fail.

Old Today, 11:57 AM

2,567 posts, read 631,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toobusytoday View Post
But that would be another thread. You are welcome to start a thread about how well students are prepared if you'd like.
If your wish is for thread participants to get stuck in a rut, disallowing any revelations that may occur, then by all means.

The tangential remark isn't always counterproductive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or