Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Have homework loads increased over time?
Yes 13 59.09%
No 9 40.91%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2019, 06:04 PM

776 posts, read 394,157 times

Advertisements

Would say that homework loads in 2000 were bigger than homework loads in 1976? If so, what do you think caused this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2019, 06:16 PM

13,254 posts, read 33,519,625 times
The only way you would know that would be by comparing the exact same classes in the same school district. My kids had a lot more homework than I did but I lived in a different state.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 03-20-2019, 06:20 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,351,440 times
What I have noticed is that more kids are doing what we, the nerd herd, used to do:
take studies seriously.

That's going to involve a lot more time hitting the books than most kids did before.

This whole situation is higher stakes now and being an excellent student isn't uncool anymore.

Old 03-21-2019, 08:46 AM

804 posts, read 545,126 times
Nothing has changed at all. Just the people. With the people methods of thinking.

In my area the union extended class hours in order to give the teachers more pay. So now had

1. An extra hour of classtime
A. We had to come early or
B. We had meditation hour or
C. We just add the rest of the time to the classroom.

Thanks to phones they just opt for C.

Another thing happen when they raise standards across the nation. They up 55 to 65 passing. Some states it is 75.

They created crappy charter schools

Old 03-21-2019, 10:12 AM

17,183 posts, read 22,909,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanArt View Post
Nothing has changed at all. Just the people. With the people methods of thinking.

In my area the union extended class hours in order to give the teachers more pay. So now had

1. An extra hour of classtime
A. We had to come early or
B. We had meditation hour or
C. We just add the rest of the time to the classroom.

Thanks to phones they just opt for C.

Another thing happen when they raise standards across the nation. They up 55 to 65 passing. Some states it is 75.

They created crappy charter schools
Passing was 60 when I was in high school in New York in the 1960s.

I don't know where you teach, but....
The UNION cannot extend class hours, that would be the administration. And it certainly did not give teachers enough more pay to compensate for the extra time.
The class time was extended to allow for more actual teaching time (doesn't work very well, but that is beside the point - kids get tired if you extend time without giving more recess or break time).

Why would phones make a difference to the choice of options?

Old 03-21-2019, 11:12 AM

8,826 posts, read 15,317,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
Passing was 60 when I was in high school in New York in the 1960s.

I don't know where you teach, but....
The UNION cannot extend class hours, that would be the administration. And it certainly did not give teachers enough more pay to compensate for the extra time.
The class time was extended to allow for more actual teaching time (doesn't work very well, but that is beside the point - kids get tired if you extend time without giving more recess or break time).

Why would phones make a difference to the choice of options?
I wouldn’t assume the part in bold.

Old 03-21-2019, 11:38 AM

6,590 posts, read 11,284,036 times
more homework? I don't know if you can accurately compare different time period as the curriculum changes so much.

I will say this - the workload, in general, is much greater. Looking at what kids do today vs. what I did at the same age, it's night and day.

Back in my day - you did summer school because you messed up. Now, we're at the point where summer school is in the picture in order to get everything accomplished between your requirements (based on a specific track like engineering) and electives (art, music, language, etc.).

And don't get me started on the whole inclement weather BS and kids potentially losing out on vacation. This may be a MD state fiasco though.

Old 03-21-2019, 02:37 PM

6,503 posts, read 3,433,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redguitar77111 View Post
Would say that homework loads in 2000 were bigger than homework loads in 1976? If so, what do you think caused this?
I do disagree with homework - what are the kids doing when they're in class all day? Block schedules and longer interrupted class time was supposed to alleviate this and allow more in-depth lessons, time for questions, etc.

I had 1-2 hours of homework most nights in high school - I tried to get most of it done in other classes if I finished something early. I've been in 4.0, 5.0 honors, and 6.0 AP classes, and honestly the higher level classes had LESS homework.

This is about on par with what my parents experienced, even in different states, but tradition alone is not reason to continue it. Primary and secondary school already approach the length of a full time adult's work week for kids 5-18. Plus homework? That's overtime.

A good amount of learning takes place in the American home. You'd think with as many teachers who are quick to say "______ is not my job!" they'd leave some opportunity where the students can interact with their parents instead of writing papers or sitting in front of a laptop.

One attitude I completely disagree with is "school IS your job K-12". If there was no homework, it would be a job. With several hours of homework, it's your LIFE. Sorry to say but even the most enriching experiences are not meant to consume all waking hours. Especially not for years on end.

I'm sure I stand alone but I cannot justify more than 8 hours of sitting "absorbing" instruction in a day, for kids who want to socialize, form friendships, play sports, etc.

Old 03-21-2019, 02:41 PM

9,977 posts, read 5,675,804 times
My kids have had homework since Kindergarten.

Homework. Up to an hour's worth a night -- in KINDERGARTEN. It's absolutely absurd. They're 5 years old for the love of God.

I'd occasionally get notes from their Kindergarten and 1st grade teachers saying "your kid didn't finish so-and-so, please have them complete it." I'd send it back with a note saying "Nope, you've already given them enough homework and then some for the week."

Old 03-21-2019, 07:40 PM

12,841 posts, read 9,041,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddm2k View Post
I do disagree with homework - what are the kids doing when they're in class all day? Block schedules and longer interrupted class time was supposed to alleviate this and allow more in-depth lessons, time for questions, etc.

I had 1-2 hours of homework most nights in high school - I tried to get most of it done in other classes if I finished something early. I've been in 4.0, 5.0 honors, and 6.0 AP classes, and honestly the higher level classes had LESS homework.

This is about on par with what my parents experienced, even in different states, but tradition alone is not reason to continue it. Primary and secondary school already approach the length of a full time adult's work week for kids 5-18. Plus homework? That's overtime.

A good amount of learning takes place in the American home. You'd think with as many teachers who are quick to say "______ is not my job!" they'd leave some opportunity where the students can interact with their parents instead of writing papers or sitting in front of a laptop.

One attitude I completely disagree with is "school IS your job K-12". If there was no homework, it would be a job. With several hours of homework, it's your LIFE. Sorry to say but even the most enriching experiences are not meant to consume all waking hours. Especially not for years on end.

I'm sure I stand alone but I cannot justify more than 8 hours of sitting "absorbing" instruction in a day, for kids who want to socialize, form friendships, play sports, etc.
Nope you're not alone. But definitely an uphill fight because as soon as you disagree with the status quo, you get labeled as "anti education."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education