U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2019, 06:53 PM

3,333 posts, read 3,108,830 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by toobusytoday View Post
You have to do what you think is best for your child. I think 6th grade is a little young for that long of a trip for robotics. It's not like this is the last opportunity. I think it's important for kids to learn that they can't do everything. In our area robotics competitions start in HS and the school will partly fund state and world competitions.

I'm surprised by the posters comparing their HS trips to this poster whose child is 11 or 12.

I was one of those posters. When I was 12, my mom and her husband left me alone for a weekend so they could go away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2019, 09:49 PM

2,300 posts, read 1,371,791 times
With it not being a school trip, I would be most concerned with the families with whom he'll stay and the drivers, as well as the other kids (also 6th graders? older?)

4 days for a 6th grader is not too long, and many schools have trips that long as part of their curriculum by 6th grade or before. The length of the trip is not concerning to me. I would have more questions around those other factors. Depending on what I learned, I may or may not be comfortable with him going.

Old 04-02-2019, 10:23 PM

3,110 posts, read 5,678,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cddweller View Post
MAm I being too protective and unreasonable? My son is going to be pretty upset if I donít let him go.
Dude, you referred to him going to the bathroom as a "potty" break. You're going to have to let him grow without you. I have a daughter that I am in love with, so believe me, I get it, but there comes to a time when being too good a parent turns into a really unhealthy and controlling relationship that stunts their growth later.

Admittedly, 700 is a lot to swing, but there are other sacrifices I'm sure he would be willing to make in order to make that happen. That's the talk I'd have with him -- simply finances. Something like... okay, this is a lot of money for any family, but I don't want you to miss out on the experience. Have fun, be safe, learn a lot, and when you come back, let's cut back on some of our optional expenses.

Let him go for sure!

Old 04-02-2019, 10:52 PM

14,383 posts, read 10,321,171 times
I let my 5th grader go to England with her Girl Scout troop for a week while we were stationed in Germany. The principal excused the kids saying they would learn more in that week than they could in school and had the kids keep journals and present what they learned to their classes when they returned. My daughter still talks about that trip almost 20 years later, I am so glad I let her go. At least these days your kid can text you every night.

If you can afford it let him go.
Moderator - Asia, Kentucky, Lexington, and Louisville

Old 04-02-2019, 11:14 PM

8,447 posts, read 2,716,229 times
I get the impression that the parents of the others on your son's team may have more financial resources than you. They may have no trouble paying that much money. This could be just the first of many such expenditures your son might lead you into having to cover.

In a better system of organizing such activities, some sponsorship from related businesses would allow young people from all family economic levels to take part. Making such activities available only to children from affluent families, is not the American way. It's possible that individual students might be able to receive sponsorship from industries involved with robotics. You should do some research and see if there are some options like that available.

Old 04-03-2019, 08:18 AM

86,283 posts, read 101,301,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley09swb View Post
My mom sent me to Europe in the early 90's when I was 16 with 54 other kids and about 10 college coaches we had never met. She put me on a plane to Copenhagen, Denmark at Chicago O'hare and never looked back. I was there for 10 days.

Yes, you're being over protective.
And this correlates how to a 6th grader (11-12 years old)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
This could be a real growth opportunity for your child and a chance to overcome the obstacle of being a coddled child, making him more mature about future independence.

I have seen kids dropped off at college who were never further than a half a mile from their parents until the day they closed their dorm room door. Not pretty.
Pretty judgmental. You don't know anything about this mom's parenting style.

And how are you seeing these kids dropped off at college?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan777 View Post
I would only say no if you have serious concerns about the maturity if your son being able to be away from home that long in the event that he lacks the developmental maturity that is expected of 11-12 year old kids.

However, with the rest, you seem to be a bit overprotective and paranoid, and I think it's time to cut the cord. It will be a 10 hour drive plus stops... and your point? How do you know they've never drove a large vehicle before? Also, what is 3 days of school in the grand scheme of the year? Can't he make it up or do some work while in the van?
Again, very judgmental.

Too much judgmentalism on here. Ask somewhere else, Mom.

Old 04-03-2019, 08:57 AM

1,842 posts, read 2,893,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cddweller View Post
My sonís robotics team wants to compete in a competition next month. I am the only parent on the team who has any concerns, of which I have several.
1. He will miss 3 days of school to attend (this is not a school club)
2 The trip is 10 hours, not including stops for potty, gas, food in a rented van
3. The kids will return from the trip around 1am Sunday night in a van with inexperienced large vehicle drivers
4. Cost 700
5. My son would be staying with families I donít know all that well

I really donít want him to go per the above reasons however people feel Iím being over protective. I could go as well but I donít have a ton of vacation time and would have to get a hotel for 3 nights or fly but then thatís an additional 500 , Iím a single parent so funds are a bit tight. Iím a little surprised all of the other parents have been 100% onboard. Am I being too protective and unreasonable? My son is going to be pretty upset if I donít let him go.

From a parent whose child competed in robotics competitions around that age, I say let him go. This will be an experience that will help shape his character into his adult life, and most kids do not get to participate in these types of events.

If you can go, that would be even better, but I understand the difficulty for a single parent. But trust me, you should let him do this. Those robotics kids and their parents are typically very good people who want to see their children have success in life.

I know it's hard to trust at his age, but it will be good for him and will benefit him in many, many ways. They are only in our lives for a minute, and then they grow up, so let them get as many experiences as they can like this while you still have them. It will pay off later on, trust me.

SS

Old 04-03-2019, 10:01 AM

4,953 posts, read 1,945,408 times
OP - You might be somewhat overprotective, but it's important to go with your gut. You know your child better than anyone else. It seems dumb (to me) to bother with what everyone else thinks and wants. This isn't what the community thinks. This is about your child and you. And as a side note, I'd feel the same way for my child in those circumstances as you listed.

6th grade isn't the end of the world. You have 6 more grades and years for additional opportunities, not to mention possible summer trips/activities. Pushing and pulling over this can create much bigger issues. So again, relax, and do what you think is best.

Old 04-05-2019, 08:52 AM

3,333 posts, read 3,108,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
And this correlates how to a 6th grader (11-12 years old)?

Pretty judgmental. You don't know anything about this mom's parenting style.

And how are you seeing these kids dropped off at college?

Again, very judgmental.

Too much judgmentalism on here. Ask somewhere else, Mom.
I also spent the weekend at home at age 12 by myself.

Old 04-05-2019, 10:15 AM

86,283 posts, read 101,301,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley09swb View Post
I also spent the weekend at home at age 12 by myself.
Your parents could have been arrested. It sounds like one of those, "what could go wrong" things that we read about on here sometimes. You know things can and do go wrong. (Not implying your parents did anything wrong, just sayin'.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or