U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2019, 08:30 AM

4,839 posts, read 3,086,381 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azureth View Post
There is a punishment I remember me and others having at the school I went to when I was 7 or 8 where if you got in trouble, they would put you in a corner for 10-15 minutes and put a paper bag over your head, like the one you used to get in grocery stores. I remember when my mom found out she pulled me from the school fast. It took place in Albuquerque NM in the early 90s and it was a private school. I actually talked to my dad about it who confirmed it all.

I distinctly remember my last day as I was walking out a kid I was friends with was in some office with a paper bag over his head with eye holes, something they didn't always do. I am just curious if this was some kind of common punishment or if my school was just sadistic lol.
Standing in a corner, was pretty common in elementary school. Sans the bag....Now you get a counselor who tells you you're a waste of space unless you toe their line...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2019, 10:21 AM

21,402 posts, read 9,998,539 times
I must say that I gain respect for my elementary and junior high schools and their administrators when I read about the stuff that went on elsewhere. I don't remember any punishments in my schools that would be considered by anyone to be inappropriate.

I did have a fifth grade teacher who made me write "I will not" (yes, that's all) 59 times. He had a good sense of humor.

Old 04-06-2019, 10:43 AM

4,034 posts, read 3,656,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azureth View Post
There is a punishment I remember me and others having at the school I went to when I was 7 or 8 where if you got in trouble, they would put you in a corner for 10-15 minutes and put a paper bag over your head, like the one you used to get in grocery stores. I remember when my mom found out she pulled me from the school fast. It took place in Albuquerque NM in the early 90s and it was a private school. I actually talked to my dad about it who confirmed it all.

I distinctly remember my last day as I was walking out a kid I was friends with was in some office with a paper bag over his head with eye holes, something they didn't always do. I am just curious if this was some kind of common punishment or if my school was just sadistic lol.
I don't remember ANY punishments of any sort in school (which for me was public for K-6 in the late 60s to early 70s, then private until end of high school). The worst that happened was you go sent to the principal's office, maybe got a "talking to".

So yes, this was weird, and humiliating and sadistic. I'm so glad your parents had the good sense to pull you right out of there.

Old 04-06-2019, 11:26 AM

10,300 posts, read 8,227,868 times
Elementary school: Stand in the corner (and if all the corners were full, stand along the back wall of the classroom), stay after school (to complete deskwork or homework assignments left undone), get sent to the principal's office, or sit on the bench in the entry hall after school - everyone would know why, this was comparable to being put into the stocks! If you sat there to wait for your mother to show up to take you to the dentist, you'd certainly tell everyone passing by that was why you were there.

A sixth grade substitute teacher, an older woman, once scandalized my class by taping shut the mouth of a talkative boy. She ripped the tape off just before we got out of school, and it appeared it ripped off the top layer of skin as well...I don't think she ever subbed for our class again after that. Not sure our regular teacher, a youngish woman we all liked and respected and who was an outstanding teacher, even learned about it.

Junior high: Stay after school, get sent to the principal's office, or in one shocking to the rest of us situation, get whacked on the rear end by a ruler-wielding incompetent eighth grade math teacher who was unfit to work with kids, especially a couple of mouthy young boys, who felt the sting of that ruler.

We had never witnessed corporal punishment in the classroom previously in our public school system - my guess is that it was forbidden. Nonetheless, that day lives on in our collective memories, along with dislike for that teacher.

Meanwhile, whoever stole my almost completed seventh grade English grammar notebook contents which contained handwritten examples of parts of speech, original sample sentences, and lots of outlined sentences, just before it was due, never 'fessed up or was brought to justice. The pages were lifted out of my snap-ring notebook during gym class, having been left with my other textbooks and notebooks in the dressing room. I immediately reported the theft to the gym teacher, who asked everyone if they'd done it. Of course no one would admit it.

The English teacher did extend the due date for me, and let me work with a good friend/classmate to reconstruct my weeks of work, thankfully. I asked her if I could look over the notebooks of the classmates who shared my gym class so I could spot my sentences, but she refused. Boys and girls were separated for gym, so that cut the suspects to around fifteen, some of whom I know did not steal my work.

I still have a suspect in mind - they never have shown up at class reunions, but if they did...I'd be tempted to ask them if they took my work. Doubt if that ever happens...but the incident still stings.

High school: get sent to the assistant principal's office, get graded down, get banned from honor societies and senior recognition day for skipping one day of school, regardless of academic and other achievements -a classmate still bears a grudge for this, as he otherwise would have qualified for scholarships that might have allowed him to attend more than one year of self-paid college - and avoided Viet Nam.

This, while an award winning golden boy type got caught cheating on a final exam his senior year, and it was hushed up so he could continue to win awards. His mother was my seventh grade English teacher in the same school system, which may have been a factor. I assume she was notified about her son's cheating.

The Viet Nam vet came home, finished college on the GI Bill, went to grad school in computer science and did very well financially in Silicon Valley, but still bears a grudge for the overkill of his punishment for cutting school one day. The cheater became a pediatrician.

I don't recall any other incidents. Restroom smokers never seemed to get caught, rumors of glue-sniffing in the back hall remained just rumors, pregnant 16 year olds who had shotgun weddings got talkings to - they were NOT to tell the other girls what it was like, one later told me...

My high school had high academic standards, and lots of teachers on the verge of retirement, some still excellent but others who just taught by the book, with little creativity. The three younger teachers I was blessed to have were so different in their ways and in their ability to relate to teenagers: my junior year English teacher, my senior year biology teacher, and senior year drama teacher who had also directed class plays I was in. Our orchestra teacher and eccentric French and Spanish teacher were no longer young, but were still excellent.

But I often wonder how much better I might have done academically, had all my high school teachers retained that inspiration and love for their subjects and their students, as did these memorable teachers.

Old 04-06-2019, 02:23 PM

14,692 posts, read 8,156,720 times
Sounds pretty tame. When I was in high school you could either take days of suspension or "swats". You know, with one of those big frat-type things. I don't think it had holes in it. The principal *your 'pal'" would do it right in the middle of the hallway while classes were changing. Now THAT'S barbaric.

Old 04-06-2019, 03:35 PM

15,826 posts, read 17,605,851 times
I read about these and am glad that we did not have these kinds of punishments in any of my schools. The Catholic School I went to in 1st grade did have a nun who hit my hand with a ruler ONCE (for writing my name in my book which we bought, so it belonged to me not to the school). I actually ran out of the class and went home and told my parents. It never happened again. I was in public school the following year. Never saw these kinds of punishments there either. Paddling had been outlawed several years before I went to school.

Old 04-06-2019, 05:43 PM

8,697 posts, read 2,794,722 times
I can't recall anyone ever being punished when I was in grade school. But we were all like little angels in behavior.

Old 04-06-2019, 10:01 PM

2,705 posts, read 1,162,305 times
I don't recall anyone having to stand in the corner with a bag over their head, that's strange. However, it was pretty common for kids to end up in the corner in the elementary school I went to. You would have to stand in the corner with your nose touching the corner for 20 minutes which of course felt like an eternity back then. Another punishment was the paddle which scared all of us. Another common punishment was having your desk moved to the front of the room right next to the teacher's desk or out to the hallway where everyone knew what you did. I had a teacher put masking tape over my mouth in 2nd grade once because she mistakenly thought that I had been the one talking during an educational movie in class. Kids would get sent to the principal's office of course but would be made to sit out on the bench in the hall.

Whatever you did in school of course would immediately get reported back to the parents and then you would be in even MORE trouble.

I did my best to be sneaky but sometimes it didn't work

Old 04-07-2019, 08:02 AM

14,692 posts, read 8,156,720 times
If we're just talking about elementary school, the most common punishment was being made to stand out in the hall for the rest of the class period. Kind of like being in the corner but much more boring and possibly less humiliating since hardly anyone was in the hall except for other "offenders" and kids on their way to the restroom which was relatively uncommon and they sure weren't going to talk to you!

Old 04-07-2019, 08:35 AM

15,184 posts, read 12,310,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
Friend of mine went to a daycare in the 80s where they would put the child in the corner as punishment, then spray something in the corner that smelled really bad. And the child had to stand there and smell it. She said it made her sick. Her mom should have pulled her from the daycare but never did.
thats both abusive and dangerous to spray and substance near another person... what were they thinking...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education