U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2019, 05:09 PM

3,950 posts, read 3,172,213 times

Advertisements

My son attends a very good and very large public high school. He has multiple learning disabilities but is mainstreamed with a 504.

He has one teacher who will not honor his accommodations and makes up excuses like "he didn't ask me" even though I have asked her in writing, for example: "my son is requesting that you ________, which is part of his 504 plan." My son is often unwilling to ask for every little accommodation in front of his peers, and his other teachers are good about talking to him about his needs and by this point in the school year everything is pretty automatic.

We have had multiple meetings and I have emails going back to October. She is very careful about covering her ***.
I have been to multiple assistant principals and the situation is not improving. I feel badly for going over their heads, but I am ready to file a formal complaint.

All 7 of his other teachers follow the accommodations, not necessarily perfectly, but they try.

Do I go to the principal next or the school district?

Anyone have advice?

(Mods if in wrong forum, please move).

Old 04-10-2019, 05:14 PM

14,411 posts, read 10,348,007 times
What accommodations are not being provided? Why is he not on an IEP if he has multiple disabilities? And yes, your next step should be the principal, if you are going to move up the chain.
Moderator - Asia, Kentucky, Lexington, and Louisville

Last edited by Oldhag1; 04-10-2019 at 05:24 PM..

Old 04-10-2019, 05:14 PM

883 posts, read 1,017,891 times
Is there a parent advocate you can contact?

Old 04-10-2019, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
What accommodations are not being provided?
Oral testing (someone can read it to him and he can answer verbally)/separate testing
Audio books
Not having to copy from the board
Typing
Being graded for spelling
Not having to read aloud in front of peers
Shortened assignments (she's done this a little bit but only gives partial credit because he didn't do the full assignment, even though that's not how it's supposed to work)
Alternate assignments

This is English class if you couldn't tell.

He is being tested for an IEP within the next 44 days.

We moved here from out of state and the 504 was working pretty well at first.

Old 04-10-2019, 05:33 PM

33,628 posts, read 41,245,753 times
Yeah, those are in IEP territory instead of 504, which is typically for medically related issues.

Since this is English there may not be audio books for all the readings, I know we didn't have them for any subject.

Old 04-10-2019, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Yeah, those are in IEP territory instead of 504, which is typically for medically related issues.

Since this is English there may not be audio books for all the readings, I know we didn't have them for any subject.
I know there are audio books for these because they are novels and I've listened to them myself.

Old 04-10-2019, 05:39 PM

14,411 posts, read 10,348,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calgirlinnc View Post
Oral testing (someone can read it to him and he can answer verbally)/separate testing
Audio books
Not having to copy from the board
Typing
Being graded for spelling
Not having to read aloud in front of peers
Shortened assignments (she's done this a little bit but only gives partial credit because he didn't do the full assignment, even though that's not how it's supposed to work)
Alternate assignments

This is English class if you couldn't tell.

He is being tested for an IEP within the next 44 days.

We moved here from out of state and the 504 was working pretty well at first.
Those are too many and too involved of accommodations to not be on an IEP, I am genuinely confused why any school would agree to that extensive of accommodations without testing for learning disabilities. Essentially the accommodations breach the “they just need a little thing or two to perform like any other student” service, along with leaping right over the whole “not qualified for an IEP” requirements. Your child’s English teacher is frustrated because she has a child not on an IEP getting more services than many kids on an IEP get, most of his other teachers probably are too but for the most part they can still assess your child in their actual content area, despite the accomadations. The reason she cares more than his other teachers is because she has been put in a position where she can not accurately measure your child’s ability or growth in the content area she is charged with teaching and will be held accountable for. In other words she is being prevented from doing her job.
Moderator - Asia, Kentucky, Lexington, and Louisville

Old 04-10-2019, 05:48 PM

16,744 posts, read 16,877,762 times
Quote:
Those are too many and too involved of accommodations to not be on an IEP, I am genuinely confused why any school would agree to that extensive of accommodations without testing for learning disabilities. Essentially the accommodations breach the “they just need a little thing or two to perform like any other student” service, along with leaping right over the whole “not qualified for an IEP” requirements. Your child’s English teacher is frustrated because she has a child not on an IEP getting more services than many kids on an IEP get, most of his other teachers probably are too but for the most part they can still assess your child in their actual content area, despite the accomadations. The reason she cares more than his other teachers is because she has been put in a position where she can not accurately measure your child’s ability or growth in the content area she is charged with teaching and will be held accountable for. In other words she is being prevented from doing her job.
Well said.

Old 04-10-2019, 05:51 PM

Quote:
That's great, but that is not my fault or my son's fault. We came here at the start of 9th grade and brought professional evaluations with us from 8th grade and 4th grade, so it isn't as if the school was just going on what I told them.

Nor does she have to do it all herself. There is a resource center where students go for separate testing so it's not as though she has to do it. It does not put more work on her.

Nor do I understand why she insists upon calling on my son to read aloud when it's been gone over 5 times "do not ask him to read aloud in front of his peers."

The point is, if one teacher has to follow the 504, all teachers are supposed to follow the 504.

Here is better example:
The teacher will often write paragraphs on the board and ask the students to copy them into their notebooks. This should be one of things my son gets a printed copy of. He cannot accurately copy written work. She has never, not once, given him printed copies. Yet when a girl in his class broke her arm, the teacher was quick to tell her that she would get printed handouts while she was in a cast and not to worry about it.

Last edited by calgirlinnc; 04-10-2019 at 06:31 PM..

Old 04-10-2019, 07:07 PM

16 posts, read 4,282 times
Yes, escalate to the principal. Also CC the district 504 coordinator, if you can figure out who it is. It may be the director of special education. Or there could be someone with a title such as "student services coordinator". If you can't get this information, you may want to go with the assistant superintendent. If that's not getting you anywhere, the next step would be the superintendent and school board. Include in your letter/email that if the situation is not resolved you will need to bring this matter to the Office of Civil Rights. No school district wants OCR sniffing around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education