Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2019, 09:50 AM

538 posts, read 385,510 times

Advertisements

I understand teaching acceptance but she is a Spanish teacher. Having her students read Spanish stories about a woman leaving a man for another woman and 2 men getting married. What does this have to do with Spanish? Her young child is gay and she has become and advocate but I don’t think it needs to be in Spanish class. She passes out rainbows and has this kids chant LGBTQ. Now, if it were my child I would probably would just leave it alone. Times are more progressive and you have to go with it to a point. My cousin is sending emails to the school and asking her daughter be taken out of class when they have to read the Spanish passage about gay relationships etc....at first the principal said the teacher shouldn’t be doing this in the classroom but then changed her mind and said the students should have access to all curricular materials but it’s the parents right to not have their child participate. What are your thoughts? I just think this teacher doesn’t need to be pushing anything accept teaching Spanish.

Last edited by Adriank7; 04-12-2019 at 10:21 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2019, 10:03 AM

21,827 posts, read 25,102,289 times
Not sure what leaving a man off another woman means. It's high school (presumably). Curriculum includes slavery, murder, genocide, and your cousin is worried about a story that has gay people in it and stickers.

Old 04-12-2019, 10:09 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,543,435 times
I'm not sure where you are, but in most U.S. schools, foreign language is an elective. If the curriculum is objectionable to someone and it's an optional class, they don't have to take it.

Old 04-12-2019, 10:21 AM

538 posts, read 385,510 times
It’s not an elective. It’s 7th and 8th grade. All mandatory classes.

Old 04-12-2019, 12:04 PM

8,712 posts, read 6,751,934 times
Even after six kids, quite a few schools and districts and family in the ed game, I am still staggered at the number of parents who demand that their kids be raised just as ignorant, narrow-minded and prejudiced as they are.

Old 04-12-2019, 12:47 PM

9,546 posts, read 7,065,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
Even after six kids, quite a few schools and districts and family in the ed game, I am still staggered at the number of parents who demand that their kids be raised just as ignorant, narrow-minded and prejudiced as they are.
There is a difference between teaching acceptance, tolerance, and open mindedness, and pushing an agenda.

Old 04-12-2019, 01:01 PM

13,496 posts, read 18,180,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calgirlinnc View Post
There is a difference between teaching acceptance, tolerance, and open mindedness, and pushing an agenda.
Good point. Explain which is which in relation to the Spanish teacher in the OP.

Old 04-12-2019, 01:04 PM

13,496 posts, read 18,180,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adriank7 View Post
I understand teaching acceptance but she is a Spanish teacher. Having her students read Spanish stories about a woman leaving a man for another woman and 2 men getting married. What does this have to do with Spanish? Her young child is gay and she has become and advocate but I don’t think it needs to be in Spanish class. She passes out rainbows and has this kids chant LGBTQ. Now, if it were my child I would probably would just leave it alone. Times are more progressive and you have to go with it to a point. My cousin is sending emails to the school and asking her daughter be taken out of class when they have to read the Spanish passage about gay relationships etc....at first the principal said the teacher shouldn’t be doing this in the classroom but then changed her mind and said the students should have access to all curricular materials but it’s the parents right to not have their child participate. What are your thoughts? I just think this teacher doesn’t need to be pushing anything accept teaching Spanish.
My thoughts are that a story or two about LGBTQ people, fine. The rainbow stickers and the chant are not appropriate to a language instruction class in my view.

Old 04-12-2019, 01:17 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,444,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post
My thoughts are that a story or two about LGBTQ people, fine. The rainbow stickers and the chant are not appropriate to a language instruction class in my view.
Yeah, considering this is 3rd or 4th hand, I'm a tad dubious as to the truthiness of that part.

Old 04-12-2019, 02:12 PM

4,481 posts, read 3,636,617 times
I wouldn't necessarily want my children reading stories about adult relationships in any language. Why is it necessary to include stories about couples leaving each other for whatever reason? I am sure there are many age-appropriate stories that can be used as a learning example.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education