Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2019, 09:49 PM

2,870 posts, read 2,112,153 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
Wow. Your cousins seem to always be in one jam or another.
yeah, if it's not family drama it's work drama.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2019, 11:01 PM

10,181 posts, read 10,223,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
Even after six kids, quite a few schools and districts and family in the ed game, I am still staggered at the number of parents who demand that their kids be raised just as ignorant, narrow-minded and prejudiced as they are.

Schools need to teach facts. Not feelings.

Old 04-12-2019, 11:13 PM

Teach vocab and grammar and culture of, if you must. No need for some other culture's LGBTQ to be involved in. We have it right here, in the country we live in.

In English.

Old 04-12-2019, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
I'm not sure where you are, but in most U.S. schools, foreign language is an elective. If the curriculum is objectionable to someone and it's an optional class, they don't have to take it.
Most Liberal Art colleges in the US require at least 3 years (some are good with 2 years) of a foreign language taken consecutively, and in HS.

Then the same colleges will make their students take 2 semesters of a FL.

Old 04-13-2019, 02:31 AM

5,869 posts, read 4,180,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Informed Info View Post
Most Liberal Art colleges in the US require at least 3 years (some are good with 2 years) of a foreign language taken consecutively, and in HS.

I don't think I know a single college graduate who can converse simply in a second language, except those who would have been bilingual anyway.

Old 04-13-2019, 07:15 AM

12,671 posts, read 8,902,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Informed Info View Post

It's true that most colleges require students to take some FL. Doesn't mean they actually learn the FL. Personally I think part of the problem is we spend way too much time on mechanical things like parts of speech and conjugating verbs and not on actual conversational language. I think that's a backwards approach. If you look at how kids learn to talk, they learn words and basic sentences long before they enter school. Then in school they start learning the technical aspects of the language.

When I finished my FL requirement in college I could conjugate the heck out of any verb in that language. Couldn't actually speak a coherent sentence.

Old 04-13-2019, 08:33 AM

5,618 posts, read 5,903,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
I'm struggling to believe this. Who in the world chants "LGBTQ"?
Right? I find it very hard to believe. It sounds like one of those "well next thing you know they're gonna have to chant LGBTQ and become fully indoctrinated, where does it end". I literally had a gay roommate for two years in grad school who had a boyfriend and other friends (many gay as well) that would come over. This "agenda" pushing is nonsense. They never tried to convert me or anything like that. Even when I took biology and psychology classes - classes that actually have something to do with this sort of thing - we didn't learn that much, and we certainly weren't chanting anything.

Old 04-13-2019, 08:56 AM

50,402 posts, read 23,978,691 times
As a retired principal who is gay, I don't think it was appropriate teaching, if the situation was as it was described.

It sounds more like a personal agenda.

The one exception I can think of is that many foreign language teachers do some type of current events for things happening in the countries where that particular language is commonly spoken, and I can see it as a short-term topic under that circumstance.

Old 04-13-2019, 09:06 AM

14,376 posts, read 18,308,011 times
Honestly, this scenario sounds made up and highly implausible. Either the OP is making this up to stir the shizzle, her cousin is freaking out over LGBTQ+ mentions and distorting the situation, there's an adolescent winding his gullible mother up or there's a mentally unbalanced teacher working in that school system. We have no way of knowing. But I was very active in the marriage equality movement 10 years ago, and I never encountered or heard about anything resembling what's described or anything resembling the "indoctrination" some of the hysterics on this board are talking about.

Old 04-13-2019, 09:30 AM

12,671 posts, read 8,902,549 times
One reason why so many find this believable is we've seen so many other instances where teacher personal beliefs bled over into the classroom. Esp around the last election and afterward there were many teachers taking sides and expounding on those beliefs to the point my kids were uncomfortable in some classes and felt their grades would suffer for not supporting the teacher's beliefs. Having seen it, I'm not as skeptical about wild claims as I once was.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education