U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old Yesterday, 09:50 AM

241 posts, read 90,185 times

Advertisements

I understand teaching acceptance but she is a Spanish teacher. Having her students read Spanish stories about a woman leaving a man for another woman and 2 men getting married. What does this have to do with Spanish? Her young child is gay and she has become and advocate but I don’t think it needs to be in Spanish class. She passes out rainbows and has this kids chant LGBTQ. Now, if it were my child I would probably would just leave it alone. Times are more progressive and you have to go with it to a point. My cousin is sending emails to the school and asking her daughter be taken out of class when they have to read the Spanish passage about gay relationships etc....at first the principal said the teacher shouldn’t be doing this in the classroom but then changed her mind and said the students should have access to all curricular materials but it’s the parents right to not have their child participate. What are your thoughts? I just think this teacher doesn’t need to be pushing anything accept teaching Spanish.

Last edited by Adriank7; Yesterday at 10:21 AM..
Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 10:03 AM

13,817 posts, read 15,732,251 times
Not sure what leaving a man off another woman means. It's high school (presumably). Curriculum includes slavery, murder, genocide, and your cousin is worried about a story that has gay people in it and stickers.

Old Yesterday, 10:09 AM

36,235 posts, read 41,033,634 times
I'm not sure where you are, but in most U.S. schools, foreign language is an elective. If the curriculum is objectionable to someone and it's an optional class, they don't have to take it.

Old Yesterday, 10:21 AM

241 posts, read 90,185 times
It’s not an elective. It’s 7th and 8th grade. All mandatory classes.

Old Yesterday, 12:04 PM

6,018 posts, read 2,133,715 times
Even after six kids, quite a few schools and districts and family in the ed game, I am still staggered at the number of parents who demand that their kids be raised just as ignorant, narrow-minded and prejudiced as they are.

Old Yesterday, 12:47 PM

3,929 posts, read 3,162,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
Even after six kids, quite a few schools and districts and family in the ed game, I am still staggered at the number of parents who demand that their kids be raised just as ignorant, narrow-minded and prejudiced as they are.
There is a difference between teaching acceptance, tolerance, and open mindedness, and pushing an agenda.

Old Yesterday, 01:01 PM

12,475 posts, read 13,775,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calgirlinnc View Post
There is a difference between teaching acceptance, tolerance, and open mindedness, and pushing an agenda.
Good point. Explain which is which in relation to the Spanish teacher in the OP.

Old Yesterday, 01:04 PM

12,475 posts, read 13,775,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adriank7 View Post
I understand teaching acceptance but she is a Spanish teacher. Having her students read Spanish stories about a woman leaving a man for another woman and 2 men getting married. What does this have to do with Spanish? Her young child is gay and she has become and advocate but I donít think it needs to be in Spanish class. She passes out rainbows and has this kids chant LGBTQ. Now, if it were my child I would probably would just leave it alone. Times are more progressive and you have to go with it to a point. My cousin is sending emails to the school and asking her daughter be taken out of class when they have to read the Spanish passage about gay relationships etc....at first the principal said the teacher shouldnít be doing this in the classroom but then changed her mind and said the students should have access to all curricular materials but itís the parents right to not have their child participate. What are your thoughts? I just think this teacher doesnít need to be pushing anything accept teaching Spanish.
My thoughts are that a story or two about LGBTQ people, fine. The rainbow stickers and the chant are not appropriate to a language instruction class in my view.

Old Yesterday, 01:17 PM

21,579 posts, read 22,791,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post
My thoughts are that a story or two about LGBTQ people, fine. The rainbow stickers and the chant are not appropriate to a language instruction class in my view.
Yeah, considering this is 3rd or 4th hand, I'm a tad dubious as to the truthiness of that part.

Old Yesterday, 02:12 PM

3,433 posts, read 2,307,629 times
I wouldn't necessarily want my children reading stories about adult relationships in any language. Why is it necessary to include stories about couples leaving each other for whatever reason? I am sure there are many age-appropriate stories that can be used as a learning example.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or