U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-12-2019, 03:37 PM

2,865 posts, read 3,165,538 times

Advertisements

https://www.newsweek.com/new-mexico-...police-1389992

WTF? How many stories (and I can think of at several off the top of my head) do we need to read about parents who torture their shut-in children under the guise of "homeschooling?" Being at school won't prevent the abuse at home but it brings other adults and some checks and balances into the child's life.

Certainly, most homeschooling families are not abusive. However, one thing you see if you read through the stories is a common theme of a parent suspected/accused of abuse after a school-based mandated reporter calls it in, and then the suspect pulls the kid(s) from school in order to homeschool. Most homeschooling parents are not abusive but homeschooling creates a safehaven for those who are, and I would support a law that would mandate that homeschooled children have to come into contact with a mandated reporter at least 2-3 times per year...for example, a doctor at a yearly checkup.

Old Yesterday, 08:47 AM

12,757 posts, read 15,149,275 times
It's very sad...very sad.
Home schooling has ZERO, nothing to do with it though.
I'm sure as many kids that go to public schools are abused and destroyed as well.

I've read no stories about children kept home and tortured under "the guise of homeschooling"....none..

I HATE mandates...very intrusive, very demeaning, very abusive.....I HATE the thought of the gov mandating that you raise your OWN child how they dictate is right.
I'm sure some would agree with you about that though.

Old Yesterday, 08:50 AM

21,580 posts, read 22,795,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by purehuman View Post
It's very sad...very sad.
Home schooling has ZERO, nothing to do with it though.
Many kids that go to public schools are abused and destroyed as well.

I've read no stories about children kept home and tortured under "the guise of homeschoolong"....none..
You either didn't read or didn't understand Strawflower's post.

Old Yesterday, 05:37 PM

5,665 posts, read 7,968,807 times
Where did the homeschool come from? The article never brings it up. It actually says homework from school.
Quote:
he was assisting his daughter with her homework from school on Thursday when she expressed her refusal to complete it
https://www.newsweek.com/new-mexico-...police-1389992

Old Yesterday, 07:36 PM

2,865 posts, read 3,165,538 times
https://www.washingtonpost.com/crime...=.d23dc28e7a36
Different article I read on the case brought up the homeschooling. My bad.

His daughter was home-schooled, he told investigators, and she did her homework on a computer. She told him she didn’t want to do any homework that night, according to the complaint.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education