U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 01:29 PM

13,926 posts, read 44,239,230 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cebuan View Post
On the Latin thing, I just assumed English was spoken the natural way, and English grammar was school's diabolical way to learn names for what we already knew. Exposure to Latin taught is that grammar is, in all languages, the hidden skeleton supporting the tangible language,

True. I never understood what a "split infinitive" was until I started studying Russian (informal seminars at work) in my 40's.

I had like one year of French as a high school kid. I remember a little of it. I could probably pick it back up, if I needed it. Spanish is more useful. Just having a substantial Mexican/Central American population around, I have picked up a little Spanish just by osmosis - words for "Open", "Closed", simple greetings, "just a little chili", etc. Spanish is easy to pick up for native English speakers.

Started studying Russian in informal lunch time seminars in 1995. Have used it some on the job, have taken trips to Russia and Ukraine for work. I'm at the point where I do Russian to English (written) translations on the job, but my ability to speak extemporaneously is not that good, I can write an intelligible email, but no one would mistake my writing for a native speaker. I can hold a social conversation, I can talk OK about nuclear subjects, but I still speak with a rather heavy accent.

Knowing the language, has really helped me socially with Russian counterparts. There are all sorts of things they want to say, questions they want to ask, that they don't want to run through the interpreter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 01:32 PM

14,746 posts, read 13,078,504 times
Took Spanish, one year, not remember any of it, and live in Miami, lol.

Old Yesterday, 01:36 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
29,256 posts, read 53,238,453 times
I took Spanish in grades 6-8, then again in High school but already knew their curriculum so acted as a teacher's aid and corrected papers, and got all As. In college I minored in Spanish, and in my first job after graduate school, was asked by my employer to do some radio and TV interviews on Spanish stations in San Francisco. That was in the 1970s, and I really haven't used it since.

Old Yesterday, 05:16 PM
Status: "My life has suddenly changed. Hopefully for the better." (set 22 days ago)

226 posts, read 247,241 times
French for three years back in high school, and I did quite well academically. I was in the National French Contest in my sophomore and junior years. I have a French first and last name. My father spoke French fluently, but spoke to me only in English. Therefore, my knowledge was limited to what I learned in school. I can say a few words, and know some words on sight, but otherwise, I'm monolingual.

Old Today, 11:08 AM

5,377 posts, read 3,503,981 times
Two years of Latin in high school, two years of Italian in high school, one semester of Spanish in college. Picked up some German as an adult.

Latin isn't a spoken language, I speak no Italian at all, no Spanish to speak of, and very little German. Immersion is really the key to language learning and continuing to use it is the key to retention.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or