Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2019, 07:13 AM

776 posts, read 951,527 times

Advertisements

My observation....

The uncouth youth...don't fall very far from the uncouth Parent's tree. Adult role models. I don't see very many in this story. You are what you look like.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2019, 07:32 AM

13,262 posts, read 7,973,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahsez View Post
I wasn't able to get through the entire USA Today video,but here is is a Houston link to the story and a mom who wasn't dressed appropriately. I think she needs pants.

phttps://www.click2houston.com/news/madison-hs-sets-dress-code-for-parents-after-kprc2-report-on-mother-s-outfit?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=social&utm_c ampaign=snd&utm_content=kprc2&fbclid=IwAR2ekXrjBYd 9QmJz8ImYs3F-6OLhCZiMFHhIj_AT6bKovJ5p0pugwdPQfxw

I don't see anything wrong with what that woman had on. Her dress wasn't revealing. The hem of it reached to where a pair of Bermuda shorts would hit.

And what are low rider shorts? Aren't they the shorts that are rather full, and go well past the knees, like mid-calf, for guys? Really...what's so offensive about those?

I also don't have an issue with wearing a scarf or a something on the head. Black folks tend to have dry hair, and wearing the cap, or bonnet helps retain moisture. I don't know...some of that dress code does strike me as racist.

Last edited by Sassybluesy; 04-25-2019 at 07:32 AM.. Reason: misspelled a word

Old 04-25-2019, 07:51 AM

8,085 posts, read 5,219,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
I don't see anything wrong with what that woman had on. Her dress wasn't revealing. The hem of it reached to where a pair of Bermuda shorts would hit.

And what are low rider shorts? Aren't they the shorts that are rather full, and go well past the knees, like mid-calf, for guys? Really...what's so offensive about those?

I also don't have an issue with wearing a scarf or a something on the head. Black folks tend to have dry hair, and wearing the cap, or bonnet helps retain moisture. I don't know...some of that dress code does strike me as racist.
It's racist? Isn't the principal of Madison High black?

Old 04-25-2019, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLCNYC View Post
It's racist? Isn't the principal of Madison High black?

I don't know. I'll go back and look. But especially about the hair and bonnets...that's a black thing...and what's wrong with it?

Old 04-25-2019, 08:05 AM

OK, I went and looked, and yes, apparently the principal is black.

Old 04-25-2019, 10:50 AM

102,118 posts, read 107,323,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sas318 View Post
LOL at the USA Today article. Cannot comply with the dress code??? That was a long list. I wonder which ones.

Reading the letter itself, aside from the poor comma use in the first sentence, she just wants parents to look clean and mannered, not disheveled. I can't really blame her. Hair rollers, booty shorts, saggy pants, undershirts? This is definitely a case of "This place is for my children, not me, so how I look doesn't matter." I'm sure if there was something that they were involved with at the school, they would look better, like going to the school to meet the teacher or the principal or even to a PTA meeting or a fundraising dinner. But if it's just pick up or drop off, that's why they dress like that.
So-o-o, that's Texas. Good to know.

And the instance that was the catalyst for the parental dress code being created, was not a pick up/drop off. It was a new-student registration occasion.

Old 04-25-2019, 11:13 AM

28,617 posts, read 18,665,001 times
There are items on that list that I might quibble about, but I don't have a problem with the concept. I don't think it's intended to cover a "drive up, drop-off/pick-up" situation where the parent remains in the car and never actually steps onto school grounds or into the building. Heck, not even the firearm concealed carry on school grounds law covers that situation.

The (black) principal is trying to create and inculcate the kind of culture that will enable the kids to succeed. Ideally, the parents should work with that intention. Anyone who has business to attend to in public should be dressed for business.

We already know that children learn what they see, not what they're told.

That's not a bad thing for black children to learn, and there is no time for them to learn it like the present.

Old 04-25-2019, 11:48 AM

3,200 posts, read 2,399,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post

Low rider shorts or jeans the waist is at the hips. Bend over and your butt crack is showing. I can't figure out if the dress code applies if you stay in your car dropping off your kid. I agree with appropriate clothing that doesn't show skin, but not so sure on the hair thing. What the woman had on her head in that video with the Marilyn t-shirt dress was sloppy. She could have put a nice scarf on her head. Will they ban a woman who has cancer and she is covering her head with something? Other than that, parents dress like parents and not someone people take pictures of at Walmart.

Old 04-25-2019, 04:37 PM

3,752 posts, read 4,070,751 times
They should post that principal outside Walmart so she can turn away the undesirables.

Old 04-25-2019, 06:15 PM

28,617 posts, read 18,665,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthofHere View Post
Low rider shorts or jeans the waist is at the hips. Bend over and your butt crack is showing. I can't figure out if the dress code applies if you stay in your car dropping off your kid. I agree with appropriate clothing that doesn't show skin, but not so sure on the hair thing. What the woman had on her head in that video with the Marilyn t-shirt dress was sloppy. She could have put a nice scarf on her head. Will they ban a woman who has cancer and she is covering her head with something? Other than that, parents dress like parents and not someone people take pictures of at Walmart.
It's not that a head covering can't be worn, but there are headrags and then there are tignons, geles, and dhukus. Tignons, geles, and dhukus would be perfectly acceptable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education