Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2019, 10:55 PM

20,415 posts, read 4,295,666 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Pajamas of any kind will not be permitted in the building along with house shoes or any other attire that could possibly be pajamas, underwear, or home setting wear; such as flannel pajamas.

Sagging pants, shorts, jeans, will not be permitted in the building and on the premises. Men wearing undershirts will NOT be permitted in the building.
They must have a poor proofreader. Kids can't wear: underwear, shorts, jeans, undershirts.

IE: Mrs. Smith is doing her son & daughters laundry. She notices no dirty underwear, shorts, jeans, or undershirts from her kids. Confused she inquires, and discovers her children are not wearing them because of this BS notice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2019, 11:51 PM

5,869 posts, read 4,176,425 times
Every building or closed space, public or private, has a right to enforce a reasonable dress code. The public has a right to go about without being insulted or offended by people who intentionally push decency to a limit or dress (or otherwise behave) in a way intended to shock others. Every state except Vermont prohibits nudity, for exactly the reason I described, and that is simply a dress code dialed down to minimum.

Even casual beach resort gift shops require shoes and shirts.

Old 04-26-2019, 01:15 AM

23,010 posts, read 18,330,868 times
There was a short story about this on CNN last night too. I'm all for people dressing with some sense of decorum when out in public but the pettiness of it was still was good for a laugh. Especially when those whining parents pulled out the poverty/discrimination card! I'm sure these same parents dress up for date night...don't try to convince me they don't own clean jeans and a T-shirt with enough coverage to haul kids to school. Not buying that for a second.

Last edited by toobusytoday; 04-29-2019 at 08:54 AM.. Reason: fixed typo

Old 04-26-2019, 04:29 AM

14,785 posts, read 23,993,179 times
im glad finally someone is doing something about the way some parents take their kids to school . I live right across the street from a school and let me tell you some parents are slobs in the morning and look it too . hair rollers , pajamas , robes you name it I have seen it all . I don't remember my grand taking us to school without her hair done and lipstick on and full dress for the day . What happened to common sense and decency ?

Old 04-26-2019, 08:05 AM

4,972 posts, read 5,233,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
im glad finally someone is doing something about the way some parents take their kids to school . I live right across the street from a school and let me tell you some parents are slobs in the morning and look it too . hair rollers , pajamas , robes you name it I have seen it all . I don't remember my grand taking us to school without her hair done and lipstick on and full dress for the day . What happened to common sense and decency ?
I think of that change is that our bathing habits have changed. We shower more often and often in the morning. Wet hair makes it harder to get styled. How many times did grandma actually bathe and wash her hair? Didn't a lot of the older generation of women have their hair washed once a week at the beauty parlor? My understanding is those hairdos were nursed for a full week until the next appointment. Grandma may have just taken a bird bath throughout the week instead of the full daily showers we take now.

We get more of our clothes off of the rack and they aren't altered like they used to be. Even when we try to look neat, we look sloppy. I've noticed that when I have gone to a nice play or musical. People make an effort, but it isn't the perfection we've seen in the past.

Old 04-26-2019, 08:41 AM

28,590 posts, read 18,625,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahsez View Post
I think of that change is that our bathing habits have changed. We shower more often and often in the morning. Wet hair makes it harder to get styled. How many times did grandma actually bathe and wash her hair? Didn't a lot of the older generation of women have their hair washed once a week at the beauty parlor? My understanding is those hairdos were nursed for a full week until the next appointment. Grandma may have just taken a bird bath throughout the week instead of the full daily showers we take now.

We get more of our clothes off of the rack and they aren't altered like they used to be. Even when we try to look neat, we look sloppy. I've noticed that when I have gone to a nice play or musical. People make an effort, but it isn't the perfection we've seen in the past.
Neither of those issues is the problem here.

I have lived with black women all my life. Very few of black women wash their hair every day. Maybe some black female athletes do...those wearing TWAs (teeny-weeny Afros).

And it's not that big a deal to have decent clothes to wear. That principal's dress code is likely the same they impose on the students. It's no more than most any employer requires of customer-facing workers. If the parents have jobs, they have the clothes.

I don't believe for a moment there are any school officials standing in the school driveway policing parents as they pause for pickup/drop-off.

This is about parents who are entering the building to conduct business--there is no reason they can't dress as they would for work. Even a road construction worker dressed for work would be within the dress code.

Last edited by Ralph_Kirk; 04-26-2019 at 08:57 AM..

Old 04-26-2019, 08:53 AM

4,972 posts, read 5,233,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
Neither of those issues is the problem here.

I have lived with black women all my life. Very few of black women wash their hair every day. Maybe some black female athletes do...those wearing TWAs (teeny-weeny Afros).

And it's not that big a deal to have decent clothes to wear. That principal's dress code is likely the same they impose on the students. It's no more than most any employer requires of customer-facing workers. If they parents have jobs, they have the clothes.

I don't believe for a moment there are any school officials standing in the school driveway policing parents as they pause for pickup/drop-off.

This is about parents who are entering the building to conduct business--there is no reason they can't dress as they would for work. Even a road construction worker dressed for work would be within the dress code.
I agree with what you said. I was thinking through 'What has changed?'.

Old 04-26-2019, 10:18 AM

35,508 posts, read 17,760,821 times
I'm uncomfortable with the hat thing.

That's a black fashion. And it appears that it's only disallowed because it's a black fashion, despite the ethnicity of the principal who created the rule.

What if a white woman came to the school dressed for her tennis lesson - a short tennis skirt, visor and pony tail?

My guess is, there wouldn't be much wrong with it.

Old 04-26-2019, 10:28 AM

6,278 posts, read 4,155,146 times
Hum are they banning any kind of head wrap, or scarf on the head? Seems a bit over the top.

Old 04-26-2019, 10:32 AM

6,278 posts, read 4,155,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
I'm uncomfortable with the hat thing.

That's a black fashion. And it appears that it's only disallowed because it's a black fashion, despite the ethnicity of the principal who created the rule.

What if a white woman came to the school dressed for her tennis lesson - a short tennis skirt, visor and pony tail?

My guess is, there wouldn't be much wrong with it.
I have the same concern. What if the mother is wearing a headwrap or headscarf no matter what ethnicity or culture. What if a father shows up wearing certain hat or head covering?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education