U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2019, 06:29 AM

29 posts, read 9,416 times

Advertisements

If your child does not want or cannot go to college, you may be interested in the story of my daughter’s professional education.

Very short version.

She learned Programming with my help and got a software engineer job when she was nineteen years old. The whole process took about 15 months. She was studying approximately 15 hours per week.

Longer version.

I have been programming for more than 30 years. I have no college degree. Instead, I have been teaching computer science to my self all that time. I never had any problems finding a software engineer job.

My daughter decided to learn computer science with my help at the end of her senior year. She started to study a couple of hours after school and more on weekends.

She was learning reading by books and sites, watching videos, but most of all, by writing programs. She was writing a lot of programs in Python and C++. I was reviewing her work, giving some hints and explaining the most difficult ideas.

After she finished high school, she got a full-time low paying job and continued study in the same way.

Fifteen months after she started, I searched in google for an entry-level position for her and found it in less than one minute. I was expecting her to fail many times before she got the first job.

The interview process has four stages, starting from online test and ending with the on-site interview. On the last interview, my daughter was competing against four other candidates. All of them had college degrees.

She got a job offer and started to live independently in another state when she was 19.

Now she has three years of experience, was promoted several times and quite happy with her career.

If someone wants to try this approach, I can help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2019, 06:43 AM

161 posts, read 285,621 times
Thank you for the post. Definitely gives hope for the kids, who have financial difficulties to get into the college but have the willingness to learn by themselves.

I hope your DD continues the learning trajectory and also offers help to others on her way.

Old 05-01-2019, 06:49 AM

10 posts, read 4,206 times
OP. I do not want exact details, but what industry does your daughter work in and what exactly does she do? For example, does she work for a retailer programming for their online sales site? I am just curious.

Old 05-01-2019, 08:13 AM

16,587 posts, read 14,060,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lazarus_long View Post
If your child does not want or cannot go to college, you may be interested in the story of my daughter’s professional education.

Very short version.

She learned Programming with my help and got a software engineer job when she was nineteen years old. The whole process took about 15 months. She was studying approximately 15 hours per week.

Longer version.

I have been programming for more than 30 years. I have no college a degree in computer science or a directly related field. Instead, I have been teaching computer science to my self all that time. I never had any problems finding a software engineer job.

My daughter decided to learn computer science with my help at the end of her senior year. She started to study a couple of hours after school and more on weekends.

She was learning reading by books and sites, watching videos, but most of all, by writing programs. She was writing a lot of programs in Python and C++. I was reviewing her work, giving some hints and explaining the most difficult ideas.

After she finished high school, she got a full-time low paying job and continued study in the same way.

Fifteen months after she started, I searched in google for an entry-level position for her and found it in less than one minute. I was expecting her to fail many times before she got the first job.

The interview process has four stages, starting from online test and ending with the on-site interview. On the last interview, my daughter was competing against four other candidates. All of them had college degrees.

She got a job offer and started to live independently in another state when she was 19.

Now she has three years of experience, was promoted several times and quite happy with her career.

If someone wants to try this approach, I can help.
Not really unusual, the majority of developers/programmers do not have degree. Only about 40% have a BS or masters in computer science.

Old 05-01-2019, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaobabT View Post
OP. I do not want exact details, but what industry does your daughter work in and what exactly does she do? For example, does she work for a retailer programming for their online sales site? I am just curious.
International market research company. The work is nothing very special. Web applications,, databases, Python, C++.

Old 05-01-2019, 09:04 AM

8,309 posts, read 9,063,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
Not really unusual, the majority of developers/programmers do not have degree. Only about 40% have a BS or masters in computer science.
Are you sure about that? I understand this is indirect but the BLS describes the typical entry level education required for programmers as a 4-year degree.

Old 05-01-2019, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
Are you sure about that? I understand this is indirect but the BLS describes the typical entry level education required for programmers as a 4-year degree.
A lot of programmers have no CS degree.

Most of the programmers have some college degree.

Most job descriptions contains: BS in Computer Science required.

In reality, most employers do not care about degrees. They care can you do the job. Right now I am working for a government institute and the job description contained "master degree required". I do not have even BS.

Top IT companies publicly announced they do not require college degree anymore.

Old 05-01-2019, 05:21 PM

4,796 posts, read 3,225,043 times
I would say #learntocode but apparently that's somehow racist now. But college is more and more of a scam these days. Programing is one of the few equalizers that still exists. You can get a high paying job at Google, Facebook or wherever based on your skill without having to pay for any credentials to prove it. If you are in the right situation you can be making $100k/year before your peers even graduate college with $100k+ in debt.

Unfortunately my kid is 4 and I don't think this will be a viable path by the time she's an adult due to AI and robots but for the time being it's a great option

Old 05-01-2019, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanms3030 View Post
I would say #learntocode but apparently that's somehow racist now. But college is more and more of a scam these days. Programing is one of the few equalizers that still exists. You can get a high paying job at Google, Facebook or wherever based on your skill without having to pay for any credentials to prove it. If you are in the right situation you can be making $100k/year before your peers even graduate college with $100k+ in debt.

Unfortunately my kid is 4 and I don't think this will be a viable path by the time she's an adult due to AI and robots but for the time being it's a great option
Computer scientists will be required more not less:
Ai - is a branch of computer science
Robotic requires embedded software developers.

Moreover, I am quite sure the same is true for System Administration (Linux, Servers and so on), Cybersecurity, Electronics. I just have not tried to leach someone in those areas. So this option will be even greater for your daughter in the future.

One just has to learn constantly otherwise they are going to become obsolete. And this is another problem with colleges. It gives you a notion that you can just learn everything once and do not bother to learn after. Or you cannot go to college every five years, right? But in IT five years is enough to be out of date.

Old 05-01-2019, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noelm View Post
Thank you for the post. Definitely gives hope for the kids, who have financial difficulties to get into the college but have the willingness to learn by themselves.

I hope your DD continues the learning trajectory and also offers help to others on her way.
She was not really learning by herself. I was providing tasks and materials to study. It was more like a guided education.

Complete self-education is another story. That how I learned myself. But I took me about 6 years. It is much more difficult.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or