U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2019, 11:54 AM

1,798 posts, read 1,851,219 times

Advertisements

Gwinnett School of Mathematics, Science and Technology, #1 public school in Georgia. 44% Asian, 23% African American, 19% white, 10% hispanic, 4% mixed race.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2019, 12:02 PM

4,264 posts, read 6,344,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
Whitney Young is 23% black, 16% Asian, 29% white, 28% Hispanic

It is also 43% economically disadvantaged.

How is that not diverse.

Northside Preparatory High School is also good

Diversity
Ethnicity/Race (% of total)
American Indian/Alaskan Native 0.3%
Asian 6%
Black 29%
Hawaiian Native/Pacific Islander 0.1%
Hispanic 18%
White 44%
Two or More Races 2%

-- I meant that Whitney Young should be added to the list of diverse, high-performing public high schools, not that is should be on the list with Bonx Science or Stuyvestant, which are high-performing but not particularly diverse.

--Northside Prep is a famously strong school in Chitown, but I was surprised to see your figure that it is 29% black, not only because Northside is the toughest selective high school in Chicago to get into, but it is also far from most black Chicago neighborhoods, which would cut down on many AA students even wanting to attend because of the long travel times. I checked the CPS site (https://schoolinfo.cps.edu/schoolpro...choolId=609749) and they ethnic breakdown it has is very different than yours. They peg the school at only 7.7% black students, although the total breakdown does appear very diverse.

Old 05-01-2019, 12:50 PM

16,088 posts, read 17,884,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citylove101 View Post
-- I meant that Whitney Young should be added to the list of diverse, high-performing public high schools, not that is should be on the list with Bonx Science or Stuyvestant, which are high-performing but not particularly diverse.

--Northside Prep is a famously strong school in Chitown, but I was surprised to see your figure that it is 29% black, not only because Northside is the toughest selective high school in Chicago to get into, but it is also far from most black Chicago neighborhoods, which would cut down on many AA students even wanting to attend because of the long travel times. I checked the CPS site (https://schoolinfo.cps.edu/schoolpro...choolId=609749) and they ethnic breakdown it has is very different than yours. They peg the school at only 7.7% black students, although the total breakdown does appear very diverse.
Ok. I misunderstood.

I got my diversity figures for Northside Prep from the US world and news breakdown

Old 05-01-2019, 01:59 PM

4,532 posts, read 2,316,747 times
its either latin or latin acadamy (ironically also the first sckool and first public high sckool in the nation).

Old 05-01-2019, 02:08 PM

2,702 posts, read 2,366,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
What does diversity have to do with how good the school is?
Great question. One that hasn't ever really been fully fleshed out imo. Yes, there are some advantages to being exposed to people different than you (I guess), but there are also some pretty obvious advantages to being in a homogeneous society where people look, act, possess similar values, and generally see eye to eye with you.

The reality is that in my area, the more "diverse" something is (diverse simply meaning more non-white and probably non-east asian), the "worse" it is. Lower property values, higher crime, lower performing schools, etc. This may not be true in all areas, but around here it is. I've never quite understood why being diverse in and of itself is such a great thing. I want my family to be in the best opportunity to succeed. If that means going to the best schools, and those schools are "diverse", then great. But if the teachers at the school that is 90% white/asian are better, then I'm going to need some convincing that the "diverse" school is better.

Old 05-01-2019, 02:20 PM

16,088 posts, read 17,884,603 times
Quote:
Actually, it does have a lot to do with how the students perform.

Students feel safer in school and in life when they are educated in a diverse setting. Students are able to learn about different cultures and backgrounds, allowing them to feel a greater sense of comfort with these differences. That in turn makes them more comfortable with themselves, leading to a deeper sense of safety.

Diverse classrooms play an essential role in career preparation. Students are entering job markets with diminishing concern for community or national boundaries.

https://tcf.org/content/facts/the-be...eed=1&agreed=1

Quote:
Diversity has a direct impact on student performance. Students in diverse schools have higher average test scores. According to Queens University of Charlotte, students work better in diverse environments, allowing them to concentrate better and push themselves further. Thoughtfully planned diversity lessons promote depth of knowledge and give students and teachers exposure to new cultures, different historical figures, and alternative text. Because of this, students in socioeconomically and racially diverse schools have stronger academic achievement than students in schools with more students from socioeconomically disadvantaged communities.

Old 05-01-2019, 02:24 PM

3,603 posts, read 1,556,409 times
Quote:
"Asians"

Old 05-01-2019, 02:25 PM

3,603 posts, read 1,556,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScreamSteak View Post
Out of curiosity I was wondering what the best high schools in the United States were in these two categories:
- High academic performance
- Diversity (racial, economic, political, religious, etc.)

Discuss below!
Clements and TH Rogers( Both in Houston Metro) may definitely rate higher in both those criteria.

Old 05-01-2019, 02:42 PM

978 posts, read 299,055 times
Quote:
Exactly my thought!

Old 05-01-2019, 03:15 PM

2,773 posts, read 1,134,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YorktownGal View Post
Exactly my thought!
A school isn't good just because it's diverse. But a "good" school, which happens to be diverse, is often better than one that is not. There's plenty of empirical evidence out there that proves how diversity is beneficial for learning.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/a...es-us-smarter/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or